Black Sabbath Vs. Ozzy Round 1 Heaven & Hell Vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

For me, I went with Heaven and Hell. It may not have had the impact that Blizzard had, but it did more for me at a difficult point in my life. But that aside, even the weak tracks are good in my book. While I also think this is true with Blizzard, Heaven and Hell is a cut above to me. On a Sabbath site, there are a lot of people who feel that way. But, that's my opinion. I would even go as far as to say that were I a musician, I would be more proud to have a song like "Heaven and Hell" under my belt than "Crazy Train". But also, Ozzy screwing Daisley and Kerslake taints an otherwise classic album. I know everyone has their beefs but that is just so low class.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
      Difference of opinions brosef thats how

Also it legitimately is that much better tbh :V

This is what irks me. Iommi may be the better guitarist overall, but come on. He's not god, he's not infallible, as 99.9% of this board makes him out to be.

Iommi HAS (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) created bad riffs/songs. And tbh, Blizzard simply has a higher quantity of better songs than Heaven and Hell does, IMO.

Simple as that.
      Of course he's the best player out there by faaaaar. Take VanHalen, Adrian Smith, Yngwie, KK, Jake Lee, Roads, or whoever and cut a bunch of fingers off and see who can still play . . . only ONE.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZero View Post
        Of course he's the best player out there by faaaaar. Take VanHalen, Adrian Smith, Yngwie, KK, Jake Lee, Roads, or whoever and cut a bunch of fingers off and see who can still play . . . only ONE.
        As influential and skilled as Iommi is, I would not say he is the best metal guitarist.

I can think of a few I would say are objectively better tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B
          Which version, though? Ozzy's screwing of Daisly/Kerslake has pretty much ruined it for me. I can't even find a legit CD version of the real BoO.
          C'mon Chris, you can't be crazy enough to actually wonder "which version" I'm referring to here when I'm talking about album(s)--(including Diary) that I've always adored!

But just so you know, I have both the original issues on CD and the excellent '95 remasters of Blizzard and Diary.

Btw, the "screwing of Daisley/Kerslake" has absolutely nothing at all--i.e zilch---to do with the awesome rock-metal music that Blizzard and Diary deliver. I can't see how the 'screwing over' of D & K, can 'ruin' either of the authentic, amazing albums for you, unless of course, poor you only have those atrocious 2002 reissues to go by. Alas, it IS sad if you don't have, and can't seem to get the original versions of the albums. If you really want them, I reckon you can find a way to STILL get 'em.

Originally posted by Warning Rules
          Woah woah woah, Ozzy did metal after Sabbath? Not too sure about that one bud
          Oh well, I've never had any such doubt how actually Ozzy did far classier 'metal' than what Sabbath did without him, in '80 and '81, for starters.

Originally posted by The Butt
          As influential and skilled as Iommi is, I would not say he is the best metal guitarist.

I can think of a few I would say are objectively better tbh.
          Neither would I. And I never really thought or said as much, about Iommi. At least, not after I knew any better. Lol

And hey, you can think of only 'a few'?? I can think of probably a whole forum thread page full of 'better' 'metal guitarists' than Iommi.

Originally posted by RedZero
          Without getting into silly hypotheses about 'chopped fingers' and then see "who can still play", I'd just say that Eddie Van Halen, '77-85, was a phenomenal, unrivalled, trail-blazing player in a one-man league, all his own. Ed could play and absolutely slay, like no one else did, not even Iommi. Though, Iommi had already had his glory years behind him before Eddie had stormed the scene. And Van Halen (the band), according to fan and press accounts, did 'upstage' Black Sabbath, at a certain place and certain time, back in the day.

Btw, sad to see you chop an 'h' off Randy Rhoads (RIP). The guy had his fingers intact, alright, and played brilliantly. Don't wanna see his good name mangled in spelling, heh. LOL
          Last edited by RLP4ever; 07-05-2009, 06:14 AM.
          "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
            Neither would I. And I never really thought or said as much, about Iommi. At least, not after I knew any better. Lol

And hey, you can think of only 'a few'?? I can think of probably a whole forum thread page full of 'better' 'metal guitarists' than Iommi.
            Indeed. I was merely softening the blow for the "IOMMI = GOD" crowd here, haha.

Comment

Heaven & Hell for me. It wasn't even a hard decision. I do like Blizzard of Ozz though maybe if i actually believed Ozzy wrote anything in his solo stuff it may have been harder
              Nobody will ever let you know
              When you ask the reason why
              They just tell you that you're on your own
              Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Its Heaven and Hell that win in my opinion. At least the guys in Heaven and Hell have class Ozzy has lost his mind with this stupid lawsuit. Besides RJD has a far superior voice than Ozzy.
                As you walk this path of life may you be greeted with kindness,compassion and happiness!

Comment

Two great albums, but Heaven & Hell is better.

Comment

H&H, any doubts?

Comment

Blizzard might be the apex of Ozzy's career. It's one of my favorite albums by anyone. Unfortunately, it's up against what is one of maybe 5 albums in the world that can beat it. Revelation (Mother Earth) is the album's weakest track, although it's by no means "weak" in the traditional sense. H&H has no weak tracks.
                      "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                      "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                      "How do you know I'm mad?"
                      "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

Oh well, I've never had any such doubt how actually Ozzy did far classier 'metal' than what Sabbath did without him, in '80 and '81, for starters.
                        Without getting into comparison between Ozzy solo and Dio sabbath, I have no doubt in my mind that Ozzy played rock after he left Sabbath.

Not even hard rock, let alone metal of any kind.
                        "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Originally posted by WarningRules View Post
                          Without getting into comparison between Ozzy solo and Dio sabbath, I have no doubt in my mind that Ozzy played rock after he left Sabbath.

well, not being a fan of solo Ozzy, Mr Crowley is in my top 10 of "greatest metal songs ever". Well, maybe top 20, but up there with the best for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WarningRules View Post

Somehow the comparison between Ozzy solo and Dio-Sabbath here is actually inevitable, in a sense. You seemed to imply that Ozzy had lost his 'metal' credentials when he was no longer in Sabbath. Besides, Ozzy's first two blockbuster, brilliant solo albums coincided with Dio-Sabbath's own twin outings, '80 and '81, respectively. I couldn't help but suggest that, in my view, Blizzard and Diary, both sounded classier, cooler 'metal' albums than H&H and MR. Earlier, you had incredulously dismissed the very notion that Ozzy had anything 'metal' after exiting Sabbath. Now you go even further over the cliff in claiming, bizarrely beyond belief, that Ozzy solo wasn't even 'hard rock' ...Warning, this is stretching credulity and old-fashioned common sense, much less musical sense, to breaking point.
                            "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Somehow the comparison between Ozzy solo and Dio-Sabbath here is actually inevitable, in a sense. You seemed to imply that Ozzy had lost his 'metal' credentials when he was no longer in Sabbath. (...) Earlier, you had incredulously dismissed the very notion that Ozzy had anything 'metal' after exiting Sabbath. Now you go even further over the cliff in claiming, bizarrely beyond belief, that Ozzy solo wasn't even 'hard rock' ...Warning, this is stretching credulity and old-fashioned common sense, much less musical sense, to breaking point.
                              hmm, is this the second time we actually agree on something ?! Hei mate, must be something wrong with us! We normally agree to disagree!

But saying that solo Ozzy is not metal really is beyond the pale.

Comment

Ok, I couldn't resist holding off a comment any longer.

I'm amazed at the polarity in this thread from both sides. Some of you know me and some of you don't, and that really doesn't matter now, but here's how I see the two albums.

Three tracks from H&H (the title track, Die Young, and Neon Knights) are head and shoulders above ANYTHING on BoO. That being said, the whole of BoO is a more cohesive album with a better collection of songs. Those words are coming from one of Iommi's biggest supporters, and a very adamant Sabbath fan of all eras. I hate Ozzy for what he's doing now, and I also recognize that he didn't do much on BoO or Diary. The reason those solo albums are good though aren't because of him anyway...but of the other three guys that played on them. I'm not sure why some of you hard-core Iommi fans of H&H and at least see it from that point of view.

To further elaborate, the only song I don't like on BoO is "No Bone Movies". Don't ask me why, I just find it boring. H&H though has "Walk Away", which might be the worst Dio-penned Sabbath song, and"Wishing Well" and "Lady Evil" are a bit generic. They are ok songs, but they aren't better than anything on BoO. H&H has some amazing points and really low points, and BoO is a consistently great album.

That's how I see it. Anyone that knows me knows I'm pretty hard on Ozzy because of his actions and a lot of the stereotypes and the ever-increasing amount of fanboi-ism, but to say BoO isn't metal or is just an average album really isn't being objective. Nor is saying that BoO is vastly superior to H&H (the glass jaw statement...really?!)...because it certainly isn't that either.

And that's all I have to say about that.
                                Last edited by BooSweeney; 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X