Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Black Sabbath Vs. Ozzy Round 2 Mob Rules Vs. Diary of a Madman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mob rules for me only because TSOTSC and FOTEOTW beat everything on Diary.
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzien82 View Post
      Not necessarily true. I'm voting opposite of what I did in Round 1. IMO, the original Diary was an excellent followup to Blizzard, nothing weak on it at all. Mob Rules, however, and despite the presence of great tunes like "Falling Off the Edge of the World" and "Country Girl," was probably the weakest Dio-era Sabbath effort (yes IMO). It's Diary this time.

Please note that I am specifying the original versions of Blizzard and Diary because I truly do feel that the 2002 remasters lost something in translation.
      Same here, I also voted for H&H on the first one, despite the admittance that I felt BoO was a more cohesive album, but here I had to vote for Diary. Again, Diary is much more consistent than Mob Rules (also IMO) and Mob Rules' epic tracks (notably The Sign of the Southern Cross and Falling Off the Edge of the World) aren't as good as the ones on H&H, which is why Diary gets the nod this time. Mob Rules is also the least favorite of my Dio-Sabbath albums, and while it's not bad, it should of really been better.

It should also go without saying that when I talk about Blizzard and Diary, I'm NOT referring to the 2002 remasters. I'm glad I had the foresight to purchase the 1995 versions before they "remastered" them again.

Comment

Gotta go with Heaven And Hells Mob Rules here...

Comment

I like Mob Rules, but Diary edges it out. Diary showed more maturing from BoO, and really showed what Randy could do.
          "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Diary is Ozzy's darkest album and the one that aged the best. By far the most original of his whole catalogue.
            But I went for Mob, 'cos that album is untouchable, just perfect!

Comment

Mob Rules without even showing up to the battle

Comment

Diary of a Madman, hands down. Mob Rules is a great album, but Diary is one of Ozzy's best ever. I think the title song is one of the all time great hard rock songs.
                Life Member of the NRA

Comment

Diary of a Madman easily. Mob Rules is shit.

Comment

Originally posted by mythology View Post
                    Diary of a Madman easily. Mob Rules is shit.
                    Aren't you the same guy who complained about referring to the albums released when Ozzy was the singer in Black Sabbath as the "Ozzy fronted ouput?" And proudly proclaimed that you don't post on the Dio boards? http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31895, post #31.

Like the good folks at Fox News say, "Fair and balanced."
                    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                    "How do you know I'm mad?"
                    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

I think they're the best albums from the respective bands. Diary is Ozzy's solo masterpiece. Mob Rules is Heaven and Hell's (which is what I'm calling this lineup).

Nothing beats "Sign of the Southern Cross" and "Falling off the Edge of the World" for sheer epic power. If you close your eyes, you can hear dinosaurs roaming across the plains. "Over and Over's" a great, bluesy ballad. "Turn up the Night" I could do without. Not horrible, but it's needlessly noisy and drowns out a decent riff. Unfortunately, the band saw fit to put the grotesquely hideous "Slipping Away" on the album, which is just awful, worse than "Walk Away" from the prior album. It's this band's "The Crunge". As regards "The Mob Rules", the earlier, movie-version should've been used instead. Also "Country Girl", while a great song, could've used Butler on lyrics for something a bit less prosaic, but what a riff! Overall, the balance between Dio and the band was, IMO, perfectly achieved here, and I really think it's a shame a third album from this lineup didn't come at this time.

Diary of a Madman begins and ends with two of Ozzy's best songs: "Over the Mountain" and "Diary of a Madman", which IMO is his solo crowning achievement, plaintive, chilling, and powerful, an absolutely brilliant song that never stops giving. "Tonight" and "You Can't Kill Rock 'n' Roll" are both excellent ballads. "SATO" and "Little Dolls" are fun, although I've long ceased finding that to be true of "Flying High Again", though it has some great playing by Randy. The album's also benefited by great production, and there really isn't a single dud on the album.

Comment

Had to go with Diary of a Mad Man. Randy's playing on this was just some of the best I have ever heard.
                        Not taking away nothing from Mob Rules as Dio sounds mean and angry as hell. But for me it's Diary by a just a hair

Comment

Diary - very good
                          Mob Rules - great

winner - Mob Rules
                          "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
                            Aren't you the same guy who complained about referring to the albums released when Ozzy was the singer in Black Sabbath as the "Ozzy fronted ouput?" And proudly proclaimed that you don't post on the Dio boards? http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31895, post #31.

Like the good folks at Fox News say, "Fair and balanced."

And your point is ????

Just expressing my opinion. Like the many Dio-biased fand.

Comment

I voted 'Mob Rules' too. I like 'Diary of a Madman' but it's just not in the same league. I also think 'Mob Rules' is a better album than the excellent 'Heaven and Hell'. Although H&H has a couple of iconic post Ozzy Sabbath tracks, namely the title track, I feel MR is still overall the stronger album.

Comment

Originally posted by mythology View Post
                                And your point is ????
                                Just exposing extreme bias where I see it.
                                "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                                "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                                "How do you know I'm mad?"
                                "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

Working...
                                X