Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Black Sabbath Vs. Ozzy Round 2 Mob Rules Vs. Diary of a Madman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
    Darn, TRM..I'm thinking of deleting this whole thing. LOL...Besides, you laid out the truth earlier, anyway----'agree to disagree' it must be, yet again, huh? And ok, let's move along, even if we can never 'get along' on some of these things. Haha...A raincheck on it, then, eh?

Alas, this thread pits what I regard as the best OZZY disc vs the best (read 'the ONLY good one' ) of Dio-Sabbath. Of all the threads of these album face-offs, I considered this to be perhaps the closest and toughest of 'em all. Yet, MR is handily ahead in the votes. I didn't hesitate too much, though, in voting for Diary.
    As you said, "fair enough" RLP. But if you want some insight into my own "biases" Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly aren't a good source. Give me a William F. Buckley, George F. Will, Jonah Goldberg or Anthony Daniels a/k/a Theodore Dalrymple (great writings on what socialized medicine really is by the way, from a British psychiatrist) any time.

I too voted for Diary, as I mentioned. Sad that Ozzy only had 1 more good studio album in him.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
      As you said, "fair enough" RLP. But if you want some insight into my own "biases" Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly aren't a good source. Give me a William F. Buckley, George F. Will, Jonah Goldberg or Anthony Daniels a/k/a Theodore Dalrymple (great writings on what socialized medicine really is by the way, from a British psychiatrist) any time.

I too voted for Diary, as I mentioned. Sad that Ozzy only had 1 more good studio album in him.

Hahaha, touche, touche, mister....Compared to the rabid right-wing ranting flock of Limbaugh/O'Reilly/Hannity et al, Inc. ---I'd grant you that Bill Buckley, GFW, can't quite recall Goldberg, and ah, Daniels a.k.a Dalrymple are admittedly more erudite, seemingly far more serious, sophisticated purveyors of alas, some of the intrinsically same conservative clap-trap cloaked in academic rigour and part-time earnestness. But it's always interesting to hear their take, and of other like-minded peers of theirs, on so many of the contentious issues of our age, that so exercise the imaginations and inform the convictions of people of both sides of the ideological 'divide'----or whatever forms of that exist, today.

As for Ozzy, besides Diary then, which others do you regard as 'good'? I do occasionally wish that Ozzy had quit his solo career several years ago. It really has become a drag, just not good enough to justify his efforts in the studio, or the arduous treks on the road, touring and all that rough old routine. I love 5 Ozzy solo records, and always rated them highly---and even more markedly so when stacked against the Sabbath output of that time. Of the rest, I pretty much couldn't care less about the other Ozzy albums, save a dozen random songs, at best, off all of them combined. Diary of a Madman is a masterclass and still looks to me like the flagship Ozzy record, to date.
      "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I actually should have been more clear. After Diary, I like only BATM, albeit less than Blizzard and Diary. Blizzard and Diary are virtually indistinguishable in terms of quality, although I give Diary the slight nod.
        "But I don't want to go among mad people."
        "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
        "How do you know I'm mad?"
        "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

Mob Rules!

Easy choice as this is not only my favourite Dio-era album, but also probably my favourite Sabbath album and favourite album of all time by anyone. Dio's delivery is effortlessly perfect and Tony's guitar tone is the best I've heard, Sabbath or otherwise (particularly in the solos).
          I don't need wings to reach the sky
          And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
          ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

I'm going to pick The Mob Rules. The only weak songs on that one are E5150 and Slipping Away. The Sign of the Southern Cross, Voodoo, the title track, Country Girl, Falling off the Edge and Over and Over are all amazing songs.

I still haven't heard any Ozzy solo that I liked. Too poppy for me.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
            If you're using "retarded" to mean delayed (although your context doesn't appear to be using it that way) kudos for the good vocabulary. If you're using it to imply a mental deficiency, please don't. As someone with a close family member who is mentally challenged, that type of thing pisses me the fuck off.
            Finally someone who agrees with me. It really pisses me off when people use "retarded" to insult people. It just highlights their lack of intelligence.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Originally posted by nunoni View Post
            I always thought Ozzy solo is extremely sub-par Ozzy compared to the glorious early Sabb (up to and including SBS), with very few songs being worht while listening to; contrarily to Dio, who did his best work more or less equally divided by Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio.
            +10000000000000000000000

Except I would've included Sabotage.
            Where can I run to now? The joke is on me

Comment

Hard choice but I went with diary of a madman

Comment

Wow this one is tough for me I think those are my two favs by each. I went to both tours.
                That was my highschool years Sabbath was huge once Dio got in there.
                Ozzy had taken over the halls of school by the release of Diary.
                I remember Sabbath had really fallen from grace with the release of Technical Extacy and Never Say Die.
                I loved the first 6 albums from Sabbath but most of us back then just had the Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll 2 LP set.
                When Heaven And Hell came out it was all over the Radio
                I was 16 I had just bought a Dean Z and was learning riffs off of it.
                I am gonna think about it and come back I just bought the Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell remasters and they sound so much better.
                I bought the Dairy Of A Madman Remaster and didnt like the Remaster that they changed the bass & drums.
                Man I gotta sleep on this lol

Comment

Mob rules for me as i like slow heavy power songs like falling... and signs... but diary of a madman the song is one of my favorite songs.they both have one of my least favorites of each band versions-country girl-no bone movies?

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

also mob rules has a mood and feeling through the whole album like earlier sabbath had and heaven and hell that diary of a madman does not.

Comment

Kinda pointless poll for me.. in my opinion sabbath really started to shine after Ozzy was kicked out and every single post-Ozzy sabs album (yes even Forbidden, Born again & 7th star)is better than anything done by Ozzy solo

in my opinion even the original Sabbath is/was so great despite of Ozzy rather than cos of him..tho i give him credit of being a great showman and the only one to sing Paranoid correctly, tho Dave Mustaine came close on the cover version of Megadeth
                    Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Hard one voted Diary.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Which one did I vote for? If you listen to fools...

Ted

Comment

Diary of A Madman

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Comment

Mob Rules. It is a Masterpiece.

Comment

One great album and one very good album, my pick is Diary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyz View Post
                                Mob Rules. It is a Masterpiece.
                                Mob Rules is a masterpiece, but so is Diary Of A Madman, those early Ozzy albums are engraved in my heart.

Good choice though Kenny.
                                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                                X