Robert Plants comment about sabbath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishtowner View Post
    He's no longer the young ladies man rock god that he was once. He's an wrinkled old looking fart who wishes he looked half as good as Tony does at 61.
    Aw, that's a pretty spiteful mouthful, fish!

But yea, there's no denying how Plant seems to me to have aged particularly badly in a sense, compared to his Zep mates (Jimmy looks old too, but he's more than 4 years older than Robert), and some of his peers of similar age. Plant has been wearing wrinkles for many years now, looks a bit too thin sometimes and generally just appears even older than 61, a lot of the time.

HOWEVER, fish, I won't say Tony looks exactly all that flash, either. Besides, Plant's voice sounds just as good at 61, as Tony's guitar-playing sounds to many of you guys, today. And, young ladies want what they want----I just know that Robert Plant will always be my favourite rock-singer god of all time.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I won't fenture into the cosmo aspects of Zep vs BS in the 21st century, but no band from their era and particularly the remnets of Zeppelin can touch Sabbath in 2009. Zep has done the right thing by not reuniting, they are an empty shell of what was a great rock band.

Hey RLP4, any good tips on good Ausi white wine? All we get is that Yellow Tail and Barefoot juice here at my local spirits store...good to see c ya, er a I mean hear from ya mate!
      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
        I won't fenture into the cosmo aspects of Zep vs BS in the 21st century, but no band from their era and particularly the remnets of Zeppelin can touch Sabbath in 2009. Zep has done the right thing by not reuniting, they are an empty shell of what was a great rock band.

Hey RLP4, any good tips on good Ausi white wine? All we get is that Yellow Tail and Barefoot juice here at my local spirits store...good to see c ya, er a I mean hear from ya mate!
        Without explaining all the reasons why, I'd just say that I largely accepted, and never overly rued the disbanding of Led Zeppelin after the demise of John Henry Bonham (the beloved Bonzo to us fans---RIP). I won't even hazard the futile guess of what Led Zeppelin would be like, today, had they continued with a changed line-up post-1980. As for 'Sabbath in 2009', mate Wicked, I hardly need to rehash how I, for one, don't think the band is any great shakes at all---and hasn't been for a very long time, to be brutally honest. The 'remnants' of Zeppelin don't even truly regard themselves as the band Led Zeppelin, so alas, there's no feasible 'reunion' happening, and no realistic propect of weighing up a Zeppelin vs Sabbath bout in '09. LOL

Alright now, great to have YOU back here, actually. I've been posting my pieces here in the forums lately, but where do you sail away every now and then, you busy wine-swilling mister?

buddy, to tell you the truth, although I love a variety of quality wines, I haven't had a drink of wine for several months now. There are several superb white wines that are born and brewed right here in the made-for-wine heavenly conditions in Aus , a lot of which is actually exported around the world to wine-worshipping connoisseurs. There are many Chardonnays of varying quality and price. And one of my forever favourites is the highly classy 'Riesling' white wines, of which there are many choices available. It's mainly very dry, finely balanced in texture, body and aroma, and excellent as meal accompaniments. Also, the exquisite Sauvignon Blanc white wines, or the Marsanne, or the Viognier and Verdelho, all of which are grown in parts of my own state of South Australia, indeed in Adelaide itself. I'd be happy to show you around, hopefully someday, and have you sample and savour the very finest you deserve. Cheers to that!

Now, I wonder what wines, if any, would an ageing Robert Plant fancy, when he's busy not mocking other metal bands.
        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Thx for tips RLP4, not a fan of Chardonneys, but I've been known to swell a bottle of good Gernam Reisling from time to time. I've always thought that Mr Plant was always a gracious and rather humble(?) type myself, I don't think he ever took himself or Zep too seriously, but thats my "humble" opinion As for his comment made in '69 ,maybe he was right that night! Some of that eraly Earth pre-Sabbath blues stuff is pretty "shitty" to my ears. As for your comment that Mr Robert is your all time favourite vocalist, I've always held the opinion you can't touch Plant's vocals on the first 4 Zep albums, to my ears no one was better! I detected the deterioration creeping in on House Of The Holy, and it only got worse. Maybe it was the cigs, alchohal and PUSSY, but I degress... Anyway, I've wondered myself what the mighty Zep would have sounded like without Bonzo, the engine that drove their "heaviness" even on un-heavy like tunes, and I've come ot the conclusion it wouldn't have been the same, he was truly a "one of kind" drummer. Fare well mate TTYL..!
          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Fare well mate TTYL..!
            But don't you dare disappear for too long, again!

Comment

I've wondered myself what the mighty Zep would have sounded like without Bonzo, the engine that drove their "heaviness" even on un-heavy like tunes, and I've come ot the conclusion it wouldn't have been the same, he was truly a "one of kind" drummer. Fare well mate TTYL..!
              Thankfully - with the exception of a few very special occasions - Page, Plant & JPJ (especially Plant - to give credit where it is most due) seem to feel the same way.

Comment

Haven't you ever been in a mood and nothing seemed to hit you right and you had to much energy to sit around and glam for bullshit. So ya hike a leg and split. That is all they did. They couldn't turn it off so they walked. Anyway. Grew up listening to all these bands so I ain't downing none of them. Of course the did send that man with the bundle of sticks to burn their witch so who knows.
                Last edited by nothing; 11-01-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mythology View Post
                  It might well have been a crap gig. Every band has them.

But LP-for-LP Sabbath absolutely massacre Zeppelin .

I really like Zep, but they had nothing like the originality that Sabbath had. Plant sums it up in the article when he refers to "nicking old blues stuff ". Most bands did this in the 70s but Zep's sounds like a straight copy sometimes whereas Sabbath did something original with theirs.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Just to prove my point about Zeppelin nicking stuff. This is nicked from another Internet site :-)

A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."

"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.

"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).

"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."

"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."

"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).

"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."

"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."

"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).

"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.

"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.

"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.

"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.

"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
                  I don't understand how "Communication Breakdown" and Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown" are similar at all. The lyrics aren't the same, and the music isn't similar either. The only thing similar about the two songs is that the phrase "Nervous Breakdown" is in both songs.

Comment

As much as I love Zeppelin, I absolutely despise their arrogance. They lambast so many other bands. I know that one of the Zeppelin members once said in the 70's that it's not the fact that they are the best band in the world-but they are so much better than whoever is at number 2.

And it's pretty low for Plant to sneer Sabbath in one of their early performances. Zeppelin are notorious for ripping off artists and not crediting the original songwriter, eg "Whole Lotta Love".

The way that Zeppelin carry on you'd think that every album they came up with was perfect. Far from it. They have their fair share of crap also-something Plant never would never admit to.

Eg, "The Crunge". Or "Hot Dog" Most of the 'Presence' album is largely forgettable also. Some songs such as "That's the Way" or "The Lemon Song" are far from the greatest songs of all time. And the last couple of tracks on 'Physical Graffiti' could have been easily left out.

They are an unbelievably arrogant band. It is really annoying to listen to them talk about themselves. And I'd like to meet Zeppelin fans that really like drum and guitar solos that go on for the best part of 30mins. "Moby Dick" bores me as it just goes on and on. I love a good solo, but there is a limit to everything. After that it becomes boring and self indulgant.

I would seriously like to see someone post here that honestly can say they enjoyed a 20min solo from Zeppelin of any instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfConfusion View Post
                      I would seriously like to see someone post here that honestly can say they enjoyed a 20min solo from Zeppelin of any instrument.
                      I DID! ....not worship it and play, think and talk about it every day and to everybody I met. But, I reckon I quite dug Bonham's looooong drum solos or Zeppelin's sometimes looooong songs, in concert. 'Self-indulgent', arguably so. Virtuoso and enjoyable, especially so.

AND, when you're 'unbelievably great' and apparent top dog in rock, as Led Zeppelin pretty much indisputably were, right through their career, I reckon you're actually 'allowed' to be, and can be forgiven for being "unbelievably arrogant".

Also, a lot of Led Zep's rock peers often had as many crappy songs on a single record of theirs as Page/Plant/Bonham/Jones had in their entire dozen years together as performers.

Comment

Its always good to be grounded when it comes to music. Sabbath members are not sure if we can say that for the Zep guys. Look at the Maiden guys except Bruce you can say they are pretty grounded and look where they are now.
                        http://www.facebook.com/cosmicchants
                        https://soundcloud.com/cosmicchants
                        http://www.myspace.com/cosmicchants

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post

AND, when you're 'unbelievably great' and apparent top dog in rock, as Led Zeppelin pretty much indisputably were, right through their career, I reckon you're actually 'allowed' to be, and can be forgiven for being "unbelievably arrogant".

You know, when you reach such fame and acclaim, the classy thing to do would be to have a bit of humility and show some respect for other bands. The arsehole thing to do is to boast about yourself and pull everyone else down.

Comment

You know, when you reach such fame and acclaim, the classy thing to do would be to have a bit of humility and show some respect for other bands. The arsehole thing to do is to boast about yourself and pull everyone else down.
                            It's hardly Zeppelin's fault that half the rock world was steadfastly worshipping at their altar----and the rest were routinely taking grossly envious, craven pot-shots at them. Led Zeppelin had nothing to be all that 'humble' about. They were awesome and peerless---and they knew it. They didn't have to brag about it themselves---at least not too often, cos the fans (from the start) and the 'critics' (belatedly) dished out the praise and acclaim, on their own. Besides, Zeppelin never exactly went out of their way, at every given opportunity, to trash-talk other bands. It would help the other bands' cause if they weren't so mediocre or shitty in comparison----and Robert Plant or any other Zep weren't the only ones to recognise that--and say it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                              It's hardly Zeppelin's fault that half the rock world was steadfastly worshipping at their altar----and the rest were routinely taking grossly envious, craven pot-shots at them. Led Zeppelin had nothing to be all that 'humble' about. They were awesome and peerless---and they knew it. They didn't have to brag about it themselves---at least not too often, cos the fans (from the start) and the 'critics' (belatedly) dished out the praise and acclaim, on their own. Besides, Zeppelin never exactly went out of their way, at every given opportunity, to trash-talk other bands. It would help the other bands' cause if they weren't so mediocre or shitty in comparison----and Robert Plant or any other Zep weren't the only ones to recognise that--and say it like it is.
                              I strongly disagree with some of your points: in what way were they better than every rock band of their generation? Bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, ELP, Genesis, Rainbow, The Who, 10cc and Queen to name a few were as good or sometimes even better than Led Zeppelin imo so I think it's rather arrogant to state they were peerless. A great band: yes, peerless: no.

Comment

That is the wrong thing to do rather you are famous or not... Especially since all success is achieved by a little bit of luck.

Originally posted by Mercury87 View Post
                                I strongly disagree with some of your points: in what way were they better than every rock band of their generation? Bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, ELP, Genesis, Rainbow, The Who, 10cc and Queen to name a few were as good or sometimes even better than Led Zeppelin imo so I think it's rather arrogant to state they were peerless. A great band: yes, peerless: no.
                                I doubt RLP was referring to the opinion of anyone in paticular here. I think he was referring to Led Zeppelin's ridiculous over zealous worshipping, though he might not call it ridiculous like I would.

Like most other half talented bands that have a nack for writing catchy material, Zeppelin's popularity is somewhat unwarranted and undeserving. I, for one, have never understand why so many like them, they only had two albums worthy of my dollar.

But still, they are universally loved and since you cannot open people's eyes, you just have to accept that bands who do not deserve the love and recognition they get are going to be worshipped.

Comment

Working...
                                X