Robert Plants comment about sabbath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Plants comment about sabbath.

found this while surfing, i'm surprized to hear him say comment like this.

http://press.manicnirvana.com/?p=55

Not surprising and a rather gratutious insult. There was no reason to take a shot, but he couldn't resist.

Comment

well tony has said " sabbath has 4-powers with in it band" and said zeppelin has " 1-power"
      meaning john bonham only. he may have taken it as a snub ??
      zepp has "2-powers" pagey is pretty awsome in my opinion

Comment

"Being a Brummie, have you been watching The Osbournes? Is he a mate of yours?
        “I’ve met Ozzy a few times over the years. I remember me and Bonzo had just got back off our first American Tour and went to see Sabbath at Henry’s Blues House. Bonzo had on his ostrich feather bomber jacket and I had beads everywhere - and he turned to me halfway through the gig and said ‘This is crap!’ I said, ‘I know!’ We were being very outspoken.”

Led Zeppelin's first North American tour was in 1968-1969... So in 1969 Plant and Bonham saw Black Sabbath and agreed it was "crap"? Meh..
        "So if you want to know where I've been hiding all these years, follow the tears.. follow the tears.."

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
          well tony has said " sabbath has 4-powers with in it band" and said zeppelin has " 1-power"
          meaning john bonham only. he may have taken it as a snub ??
          zepp has "2-powers" pagey is pretty awsome in my opinion
          Don't leave out john paul jones. Hes and amazing multi instrumentalist in his own right.

I have read where Bonham has set in with sabbath years ago. So i would take it he was friends and a fan of sabbath. So i would think his comment about this being crap sounds not like him and its not verifiable since he is not alive to back up this statement from plant. Wasn't geezer and plant friends also?

Comment

I think Bonham and Tony were great friends (John was Tony's best man at one point), but I think ol' Percy was too full of himself to have any friends!
            We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

It's also possible the comment referred to that show being crap, not Black Sabbath in general. Ozzy was using a lot of drugs back in the 70's and did more than his fair share of crap shows.
              How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                It's also possible the comment referred to that show being crap, not Black Sabbath in general. Ozzy was using a lot of drugs back in the 70's and did more than his fair share of crap shows.
                that may be true,but i still love to hear some bootlegs of these shows your talking about
                i know of one show where the amps blew for tony and ozzy
                got the people to sing when the saints go marching in--that might be considered "crap show" to someone,but not me.

Comment

As much as I love Zep and think both Page & JPL have been complete gentlemn whenever I've had the pleasure of meeting them, Plant can be an utter dickhead when the mood takes him. I admire him on so many levels, not least his reluctance and refusal to be drawn into a faux Zeppelin "reunion" tour, but by all accounts he's a bit of a knob.

Comment

I read where Zep wanted to manage BS at one time, so I don't put much into the "this is crap" comment. On the contrary, Zep were fans of Sabbath.
                    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                      In the article plant claimed it was zeps first tour which was 69 so sabbath if they were sabbath at that time would have been pretty drug free or at least drug free compared to the mid 70's sabbath.

Comment

It might well have been a crap gig. Every band has them.

But LP-for-LP Sabbath absolutely massacre Zeppelin .

I really like Zep, but they had nothing like the originality that Sabbath had. Plant sums it up in the article when he refers to "nicking old blues stuff ". Most bands did this in the 70s but Zep's sounds like a straight copy sometimes whereas Sabbath did something original with theirs.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Just to prove my point about Zeppelin nicking stuff. This is nicked from another Internet site :-)

A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."

"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.

"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).

"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."

"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."

"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).

"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."

"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."

"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).

"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.

"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.

"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.

"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.

"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Comment

I find stuff to agree with in both what dmc and mythology say here. First, dmc states an all too well-known fact by most long-time Zep die-hards and even Robert Plant's greatest fans (myself included) i.e. Plant always had an 'ego' that apparently dwarfs some of Hollywood's worst. He's been known to (and I've heard him myself) make awfully snide, condescending remarks about numerous fellow rockers (the jibes at Coverdale were pretty mean-spirited and not wholly justified) and he hadn't spared Jimmy Page either, (throughout their obviously rocky relationship post-Zeppelin. Like dmc, I admire Plant immensely and he probably remains my favourite rock vocalist of all time, but his characterstic obnoxiousness when speaking of many of his peers in rock, has never been one of his appealing traits, by a long shot.

mythology correctly states the high likelihood of that particular instance possibly being a "crappy gig" by just a fledgling band like Sabbath were, at the time. Heaven knows, everybody, including the Zep foursome have had them, especially, in that particular year and period. I can imagine any other British rock band of the time feeling that way about a random Zep show, on one of their off-days.

HOWEVER, this:

Originally posted by mythology
                          But LP-for-LP Sabbath absolutely massacre Zeppelin
                          Being somebody that actually slightly prefers Zep to Sabbath, I find this above particularly scandalous propaganda. For me, 'LP-for-LP' Ozzy-era Sabbath (the first six records) is a dead-heat tie with (again the first six) Zeppelin albums. Other than that, i.e. post-Ozzy Sabbath doesn't have a prayer and gets an embarrassing trouncing if stacked up against classic Zeppelin, in my book.

Regarding the often proven, albeit exaggerated, accusations of outright 'uncredited' 'plagiarism' to be found in many of Led Zeppelin's career catalogue of songs, I'd just say that a lot of those 'old blues tunes' were superbly 'Zeppelinised' (for want of a better term ) in ways that make them stand as 'original' Zep tunes, in their own right. I think rarely, if ever, did they sound like blatant cheap-skate rip-offs in their adoption of old, often obscure, blues tunes. If anything, and as cynical as it may obviously sound, Led Zep actually helped make the Blues, the old masters, and the tunes they allegedly 'nicked' way more powerful, popular and indelible during their time than pretty much anybody else that aspired to (or claimed to) play modern heavy blues-rock.
                          "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by mythology View Post
                            but lp-for-lp sabbath absolutely massacre zeppelin .
                            RLP nicely sums up the main gist of what I would have written in response to your plagiarism claims.

So let me just add in response to the quoted text...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha!
                            Last edited by devilmaycare; 09-28-2009, 07:15 AM.

Comment

OK best 3 Zep LPs in order:

- Led Zep 3
                              - Physical Graffiti
                              - Led Zep 4 (or whatever it's called - we always knew it as 4)

Best 3 Sabbath:

- Vol4
                              - Never Say Die
                              - Sabotage

By the way RLP4ever I'd say the first 8 LPs are great apart from Tech Ec.

Anyone who says they are comparable in terms of raw power, imagination, energy, sheer enjoyment, etc, is just wrong. Sabbath were leagues ahead in imagination and execution. Wheels of Confusion is just something Led Zeppelin could not have written.

Led Zeppelin were probably a better live band (apparently), although I never saw either in their prime so I'll never be able to make a judgement on that. But 'The Song Remains the Same' please!!! Self-indulgent nonsense doesn't even come close. Moby Dick is the definition of pretentious.

Don't get me wrong I like Zeppelin but to me they are just a really good blues/rock/folk outfit. Sabbath made something entirely unique.

Comment

Working...
                              X