Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

MP3, IPODS vs CDs Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3, IPODS vs CDs Records

Not sure where this topic belongs, so I'll put it in BS General:

Was going to buy a new CD player, went to BEST BUY, the guy said they could order one, they had one CD changer on display in the whole place. Seems like CD players have kind of taken a back seat to MP3 and IPODs. With down loading music (at many pirate sites for free), it's no wonder bands sell any "records" these days. Curious as to what most of the folks on this site use for thier music medium? Now I can see how a record like TDYK made it to no. 8 (?) by selling less than 30k cpoies, where it would have taken probably half a mil. copies to do the same thing 35 yrs ago (like Master Of Reality).
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Either digital download (iTunes/Amazon) or vinyl. The few CDs I own have been ripped into iTunes then put away.

If I could get a hold of a copy of Forbidden on vinyl, my Sabs collection would be as complete as I care to take it
    gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

I've had MP3 devices in my vehicles since about 2000. I was first using a portable CD player that also read data CD's with MP3 & WMA files. I only kept burn CD's in my vehicles in case of break in's/ melted CD's etc. In 2006 I finally bought an Ipod like media player. Although I just absolutely hate Itunes, and the limitations put on Ipods so I bought a Creative Labs player which at the time was unanimously the best rated player on the market. It's still going strong 3 1/2 years later.

I still buy CD's so I always have a superior sounding master copy. I downloaded the H&H Bible Black single from Amazon earlier this year. That was the first time I purchased any type of mp3 (I sort of felt foolish doing it, but it was the remix so I sort of justified it that way). I have found some bootleg concert recordings to download. But aside from those, I'd prefer to have CD's. #1 I can easily notice the quality difference even between 320 kb album rips vs a true Wav file. And #2 as I said before, I prefer to have a master that I can listen to at home & re-rip into my MP3 player when I go out & about.

I think anything other then buying a hard copy (whether it's LP, or CD) is somewhat foolish. It's pretty easy to lose whatever you put on a archive CD/or Hard Drive.
      The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I still get bucketloads of free CD's from industry contacts but everything is ripped straight onto hard-drives & iPods. I do occasionally buy a CD on a minor label or buy from iTunes if I can't wait for a CD to arrive but I now have less than 50 CD's in my house at any given time... they all get given to friends & donated to libraries/ goodwill... I have thousands & thousands of CD's in storage but they've all been ripped.

I have EVERYTHING backed up in at least 4 different locations so I know I won't lose anything.

Comment

I either download or buy CDs. I own two vinyls but they're nothing more than collectors items to me.

Comment

I prefer to buy the CD & then rip it to my IPOD - if the Vinyl is available then that is usually what I buy & listen to at home - I own about 2500 LP's & 3100 CD's with little duplication between them. To me the Vinyl still sounds the best - the MP3's don't sound as warm on my home stereo thru my old 1970's cerwin vega & Klipsch speakers but you can't beat the IPOD for portability & convenience
            At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
              I either download or buy CDs. I own two vinyls but they're nothing more than collectors items to me.
              This. I put them on my computer, then sync them to my iPod. I usually listen through head phones, but I just got a dock for my iPod, so it's prettey much using my iPod as a stereo, now. It's pretty fucking sweet.
              "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

I use an iPod, but I also buy lots of CDs. I like having the physical copies on my shelf.

Comment

err... I'm 42 goin on 43 - what's an ipod?

Comment

I'm 45... At last count there were 17 iPod's of varying sizes in this house and a few more scattered around the world.

Comment

While I have downloaded some albums in the past, I rarely get a digital copy unless it's extremely hard to find in store (ie: King's X albums). I still prefer to have the physical copy for myself. Sort of feels like I actually 'own' the music when I hold a CD and liner notes in my hands.

As for the medium, to this day I continue to listen with a portable CD player with Sony MDR-V150 headphones. For me, it's a good balance between portability and sound quality. Using those has let me hear some of the little nuances in music that I never picked up with those mini earbuds.

Comment

I used to prefer to buy CD's and have the actually copy. That changed a year and a half ago when I bought an 80 gig iPOD. After awhile I realized I wasn't listening to the actuall CD's I bought. All I would do was save the disc to the computer and put it on my iPOD. An then I would just toss the albums in my CD rack and forget about them. It's either on my iPOD or my cumputer that I listen to music now. So, recently, over the last six months or so i've stopped buying CD's for the most part and download most things I want. It just seems more people are going the digital download route now. I doubt within 5 to 10 years bands will actually release albums in stores anymore.

A local super FYE store is going out of buisness near me and are dicounting CD's so i will no doubt go there and see what kinda deals they have. But unfortunately people going to the record store(which was something I always liked to do) to buy their music I think is most deffinately entering it's dying days now.
                        Nobody will ever let you know
                        When you ask the reason why
                        They just tell you that you're on your own
                        Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathfan78 View Post
                          I used to prefer to buy CD's and have the actually copy. That changed a year and a half ago when I bought an 80 gig iPOD. After awhile I realized I wasn't listening to the actuall CD's I bought. All I would do was save the disc to the computer and put it on my iPOD. An then I would just toss the albums in my CD rack and forget about them. It's either on my iPOD or my cumputer that I listen to music now. So, recently, over the last six months or so i've stopped buying CD's for the most part and download most things I want. It just seems more people are going the digital download route now. I doubt within 5 to 10 years bands will actually release albums in stores anymore.

A local super FYE store is going out of buisness near me and are dicounting CD's so i will no doubt go there and see what kinda deals they have. But unfortunately people going to the record store(which was something I always liked to do) to buy their music I think is most deffinately entering it's dying days now.
                          Too true - I doubt if any new music will be released on a physical format within 5 years & I also think that a lot bands won't be able to make a living from releasing new music anymore so we'll probably just greatest hits tours with maybe a new single every now & then released thru itunes - sad thing is - you can't get an autograph on a mp3 - definitely seeing the end of the music industry as we know it know - I do like that the smaller bands are more DIY now so there may still be some hope
                          At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

I have rarely, if ever, 'downloaded' the music I want; and even then, out of curiosity and the urge to preview before purchasing, it's only ever been random songs...never full albums.

I still ALWAYS BUY all the music I want on CDs. No matter the price, I always seek out and get what I want....and have my entire (colossal) collection stacked on some sexy cd racks. I normally don't listen to music on the go, rarely have stuff playing while I drive, so I basically shunned the iPod, MP3s etc, cos they're practically useless to me, and I've always felt a certain compromise in audio quality on such players.

I listen to my albums on a portable, premier quaility Discman with high-quality headphones. Other than that, I have top-drawer, sophisticated audio players/speakers, and I have it all set up accordingly to give me the very best out of the music that I adore and can't live without.
                            "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Posted2/16/08
                              Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                              Over 700 CD albums (of which 500+ are metal albums.
                              Sadly, no LPs
                              Nearly 100 (digital/analogue) cassette tapes
                              Posted12/29/09
                              and have my entire (colossal) collection stacked on some sexy cd racks
                              You must have done some major shopping in the last 22 months to turn 700 into colossal matey!

so I basically shunned the iPod, MP3s etc, cos they're practically useless to me
                              I'd have thought that someone who travels so extensively would have embraced the MP3 player... carrying one little white box is so much more convenient than a bag of CD's and a discman... Especially as you're in the same boat as me & have multiple homes... you can have ALL your stuff wherever you need it! Maybe when you have kids and have to give up a room or three for bedrooms & playrooms!
                              Last edited by devilmaycare; 12-29-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X