Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Heaven and Hell vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve152006 View Post
    Heaven & Hell hands down. The FAR superior album in every way. You want Reasons?

1. The Guitar playing is far superior.

2. The singing is far superior.

3. The song variety is far superior.

4. The structure and quality of each song is far superior.
    Lol. Why is it better? Because it's better that's why!!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    The leads in every song are like a song within song. You can hum the leads as if they were a vocal melody. The smoothness Randy plays with while he is triple tracking his leads in unheard of. Listen to the diversity between the leads of GTR and CT. Just amazing. The lead in Revelation is so classically influenced it is scary.

Now lets talk about the number 1 reason I like BOO more and that is Ozzy's melodies and vocals. As much as I hear that Dio is the superior singer he isn't the superior melody writer. The songs on BOO are so amazingly catchy and memorable where I can't say the same on H&H. Listen to the Bridges on Mr. Crowley, I Don't Know and Crazy Train it is just amazing. The verse's of Revelation and GTR are so catchy. As bad as everyone thinks NBM is it is still way better than the Disco flavored Lady Evil. One of my least liked Sabbath songs.
    I agree with you on every count. There are times in Ozzy's career where the catchiness is like catching VD, like on most of the Bark at the Moon album, but the hooks here are all gems. Dio's melodies are all very good, just some of the songs I can't remember the vocal line after I just listened to it, they are all sort of nebulous, same with Tony's leads on the album.

Now, I am not just saying this because I agree with you, but THAT is called backing up your opinion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Comment

Blizzard of Ozz is the only Ozzy album that I really like. It has so many strong songs, not only the commercially known Crazy Train but also favourites like "Goodbye to Romance". And Rhandy is such a great guitarist... but what can they do? they are put up against two Gods! Tony + Dio are unbeatable for me, there can be no better.

The fact that Ozzy's voice is getting really messed up also contributes to my opinion. But honestly I believe that what Dio and Tony created is maybe the best Sabbath has ever accomplished. In a way it is sad they only made two albums during the 80s, but I guess that third album would not have been so good, considering how angry they were with eachother. And something good came out of that too, Born Again!

Heaven and Hell ftw!
      "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
      -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
      - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
      http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Both are great game changing metal albums. The musicianship on both are through the ceiling, and a couple of years ago I would have said Blizzard of Ozz but today I'd say Heaven and Hell is the superior album.

Blizzard of Ozz is poppier than Heaven and Hell, that's why its more popular. Its catchy as hell, and got some great tunes but Heaven and Hell set Black Sabbath going full heavy fucking metal after their experimental departures with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, the improvement over those albums is infinitesimal.

Personally I view the Ozzy Sabbath breakup as a good thing, we got two great bands out of it and eventually three when Dio went solo. Had Ozzy and Sabbath stayed together we would've gotten another sub-par album but apart we got several great ones.

Bob Daisley is a great lyricist but he's no Ronnie James Dio or Geezer Butler. And while Randy Rhoads was a fantastic guitarist he was no Tony Iommi.

Heaven and Hell FTW
        "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
        http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by MH1986 View Post
          Blizzard of Ozz is poppier than Heaven and Hell, that's why its more popular. Its catchy as hell, and got some great tunes but Heaven and Hell set Black Sabbath going full heavy fucking metal after their experimental departures with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, the improvement over those albums is infinitesimal.

Bob Daisley is a great lyricist but he's no Ronnie James Dio or Geezer Butler. And while Randy Rhoads was a fantastic guitarist he was no Tony Iommi.
          Fair enough. Just curious, when you say Rhoads is no Iommi, could you be more specific? Like, in what way is Iommi better? Do you like his tone better? Does he play with more "feeling"? Does he look cooler? That kind of thing.

I agree that the lyrics on Blizzard aren't so good in several spots. Still, I prefer the "wear your heart on your sleeve" approach of the majority of Ozzy's (Bob Daisley's) lyrics to Dio's magical, mystical women.

As a side note, infintesimal means really, really small. I agree, huge improvement over the last two Ozzy-Sab albums...there are no downright bad songs on H&H while TE and NSD were chock full of em. I just see BOO as an even bigger improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Boy View Post
            Fair enough. Just curious, when you say Rhoads is no Iommi, could you be more specific? Like, in what way is Iommi better? Do you like his tone better? Does he play with more "feeling"? Does he look cooler? That kind of thing.
            Tony's tone is better. Tony plays with more feeling. Tony looks cooler.

I understand we all have our own opinions but I think EVERYONE here can agree with me in saying that Tony Iommi is on a level that randy could have never reached. Yes randy was a good player, you'd be a fool to think otherwise but you are indeed a fool if you try and compare them. Its like comparing fresh organic oranges to rotten worm riddled apples.

And as a side note I was not referring to the whole "apples to oranges thing". They are different players yeah but Iommi is just too good.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve152006 View Post
              \I understand we all have our own opinions but I think EVERYONE here can agree with me in saying that Tony Iommi is on a level that randy could have never reached.
              Well, we can't agree so there goes that

Comment

H&H for me - I really like 5 songs on the H&H lp & only 3 on the BOO LP - on a side note I did see both tours - the Sabbath show was great whereas the Ozzy show seemed boring to me (Motorhead opened the show & this was the Ace of Spades tour) so me & my friends left during Ozzy's set
                At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

I voted Apples and Oranges.

Ted

Comment

I voted Heaven and Hell. I think Ozzy's peak vocally was his initial time in Sabbath (especially the first three albums). By the time he went solo, his vocals were a lot weaker. Dio's vocals on the other hand, were still very strong on Heaven and Hell. I've always preferred Tony's guitar playing to Randy's; Tony is one of the greatest riff writers in heavy metal history, and on H&H the best ones are in Neon Knights, Children of the Sea, Heaven and Hell, Die Young, and Lonely is the Word. Like the OP pointed out, the guitar solos in Heaven and Hell (song) and Lonely is the Word are great, I especially like the one in Lonely is the word, I think it's one of Iommi's best. Randy's playing though, although I can concede his solos were very technically proficient, they just never grabbed me. Then there's the riffs, I think Randy's riff writing was a lot weaker than Tony's.

But really, it's not so much that I prefer Heaven and Hell to Blizzard of Ozz, it's that I prefer Dio era Black Sabbath (as well as Ozzy era) to any solo Ozzy.
                    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Originally posted by MH1986 View Post
                      Blizzard of Ozz is poppier than Heaven and Hell, that's why its more popular.
                      LMAO! I always loved this reasoning. "Sabbath was too heavy to be as popular as Ozzy."

I guess it was Metallica's light hearted, toe tappin' beats that launched them in the 80's as Sabbath spiraled into commercial oblivion.....
                      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
                        LMAO! I always loved this reasoning. "Sabbath was too heavy to be as popular as Ozzy."

I guess it was Metallica's light hearted, toe tappin' beats that launched them in the 80's as Sabbath spiraled into commercial oblivion.....
                        yup i agree, that is failed logic

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Boy View Post
                          As a side note, infintesimal means really, really small. I agree, huge improvement over the last two Ozzy-Sab albums...there are no downright bad songs on H&H while TE and NSD were chock full of em. I just see BOO as an even bigger improvement.
                          Whoops my bad, I meant infinitely, lol. Thanks.

As for Iommi, and Rhoads. Rhoads was a much flashier player. However Iommi plays with much greater feel than Rhoads, thats not saying Rhoads didn't but Iommi more so. Tone wise, it doesn't get much better than Iommi's. As far as tone goes Iommi and Brian May are right at the top for me. Not to mention their bodies of work, Iommi has written a countless number of great songs whereas Randy had just a few albums to his name.

Randy Rhoads is one of my favorite guitarists but Iommi is #1 in my book. Then again I'll take a great blues guitarist over a neoclassical shredder any day. Rhoads died before he could progress to the level of the greats, had he lived he could very well be up there but as great as he was he was still developing. He had unlimited potential but died before it could ultimately be realized.

I like both albums but Heaven and Hell wins for me. Not to mention Dio has got to be just about my favorite vocalist.
                          "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Apples and Oranges. I listen to Heaven and Hell a lot more than Blizzard now but that is because I've only been into DIO Sabbath for about 12 years. Me and Ozzy go back almost 30.
                            Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Voted Heaven and Hell.
                              I just love Iommi+Dio more than Ozzy+Rhandy..
                              Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                              Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
                              In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                              The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Obviously both are incredible albums. However, I am voting for Blizzard of Ozz quite simply because there is just not that much Randy Rhoads material out there. Such a brilliant musician taken from us way too early.

Comment

Working...
                                X