No announcement yet.

Heaven and Hell vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw the throwdown on That Metal Show with Bill Ward and they decided (minus die hard Ronnie fan Eddie) that Blizzard was a better album than HH. The audience agreed too.

Comment

Heaven and Hell for me. Some years ago I would have said Blizzard of Ozz. Randy Rhoads may have more chops, but that's not so important! Yes, RR was one of the first shredder. But Tony Iommi is the master of riffs and godfather of Heavy Metal! Tony has written countless classics since 1970. Compare this with RR's early records, the shitty Quiet Riot 1 and 2. This is bubble gum metal with forgettable songs! I'm pretty sure that Bob Daisley had a great influence in writing the music of BOO and DOAM. Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin had similar weaknesses. Excellent guitar solos but only a few very good songs. Ozzy's solo albums give me nowadays not very much. Heaven and Hell (and Mob Rules!) is like an old wine, the older the better!

There was a time in my life when I've listen to a lot of the Neo-Classical shredders. There are some shredders that play much faster than RR, with more chops! But did they also write good music for eternity? No, they failed, even Yngwie Malmsteen! Because they are thinking that a guitar solo is more important than good riffs and good songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutyA12z3Ok

Michael Angelo Batio, maybe the fastest shredder of all time. But a very bad songwriter when he was in Nitro!

Comment

Just voted blizzard, what ever happened to ozzyironman?, hasn't posted for ages lol.
        Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Like I was saying before. Blizzard was written and recorded in just over a month. Heaven and hell was written and recorded in just over a year. Can you imagine if that much effort had been put into never say die?

Comment

I'd have to go for Blizzard (and I think DOAM is even better) here.
            I'd take Blizzard, Diary, Bark At The Moon, The Ultimate Sin and No Rest over any post Ozzy Sabbath album actually.

No Bone Movies is a bit of a throwaway, and I think there are stronger songs than Steal Away (The Night) on Heaven and Hell but overall I prefer Blizzard.

Though Dio may have been the technically superior vocalist, I think he had a strong tendency to overdo it and lay on the histrionics- Ozzy had a magic touch to his voice and his melodies were sublime...nothing like it.
            I also infinitely prefer Bob Daisley's quasi spiritual/self aware lyrics to Ronnies dungeons and dragons/sword and sorcery fare.
            Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM.

Comment

H&H easily, although I love Blizzard too. The last three tracks on it are just complete filler in my books while H&H doesn't have a single throwaway track (I even love Walk Away) and the highlights (title track, Neon Knights, COS, Die Young, Lonely Is The Word) are superior to the highlights of Blizzard (Mr. Crowley, Goodbye To Romance, I Don't Know, Crazy Train).

H&H just seemes more ageless, one of the reasons being Birch's amazing production. Blizzard sounds dated at times compared to it or Diary Of A Madman.
              Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 06-11-2014, 05:15 AM.
              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                H&H just seemes more ageless, one of the reasons being Birch's amazing production. Blizzard sounds dated at times compared to it or Diary Of A Madman.
                That's actually quite true....and it actually applies to a lot of Ozzy albums. I think a lot of the production and even the song writing with Ozzy's solo band was always very contemporary....especially in the 80s...they all had that very distinct 80s sound...which was something that Sabbath managed to avoid almost entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                  That's actually quite true....and it actually applies to a lot of Ozzy albums. I think a lot of the production and even the song writing with Ozzy's solo band was always very contemporary....especially in the 80s...they all had that very distinct 80s sound...which was something that Sabbath managed to avoid almost entirely.
                  I have to disagree here, well, concerning Blizzard Of Oz anyways. I can't for the life of me think of what other bands or albums at the time sounded like that, whereas that Martin Birch sound was everywhere in the early 80s. I do agree tat the production on H&H is superior though, much more professional, polished sound.
                  You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                  Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

I dunno man, the Tony Martin albums sound pretty damn 80's to my ears (not that that's particularly a bad thing, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                      I have to disagree here, well, concerning Blizzard Of Oz anyways. I can't for the life of me think of what other bands or albums at the time sounded like that, whereas that Martin Birch sound was everywhere in the early 80s. I do agree tat the production on H&H is superior though, much more professional, polished sound.
                      Well yes Blizzard is bit less 80s sounding than most...but that cause the 80s sound wasn't really around yet at that point!

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
                      I dunno man, the Tony Martin albums sound pretty damn 80's to my ears (not that that's particularly a bad thing, of course)
                      Well compare Ultimate Sin to Headless Cross and if you think the latter is more 80s sounding I'd recommend cleaning your ears!

I think the closest Sabbath ever came with the 80s sound was Seventh Star, but then again that really was Tony's solo album so it was written quite differently from those that were actual Sabbath albums.

Comment

H&H was quite 70s sounding, in fact it reminds me a lot of Foreigners 1977 debut. Especially the vocal harmonies on the title track
                        Last edited by OIM; 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for 'resurrecting' this thread; I forgot I'd voted and had to check page 1 (I voted Apples and Oranges). I still feel the same way, but if it was Blizzard vs Mob Rules I would vote for the latter.

Ted
                          Last edited by Ted Sallis; 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Well yes Blizzard is bit less 80s sounding than most...but that cause the 80s sound wasn't really around yet at that point!

Well compare Ultimate Sin to Headless Cross and if you think the latter is more 80s sounding I'd recommend cleaning your ears!

I think the closest Sabbath ever came with the 80s sound was Seventh Star, but then again that really was Tony's solo album so it was written quite differently from those that were actual Sabbath albums.
                            Headless Cross is full of 80's cheese production-wise, and songs like the title track and Kill In The Spirit Wordl have that clear 80's vibe going on.
                            "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                            "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                            "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                              Headless Cross is full of 80's cheese production-wise, and songs like the title track and Kill In The Spirit Wordl have that clear 80's vibe going on.
                              I really can't hear that...I'll give you Kill In The Spirit World, but the title track 80s sounding...no way!

Comment

Blizzard Of Ozz, Ozzy Osbourne is what started it all for me, without Ozzy there would be no Black Sabbath for me.

Blizzard Of Ozz, was a big part of my life during my formative years.
                                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                                X