Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Heaven and Hell vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaven and Hell vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Hopefully we can do this without anybody getting all rankled

For me it is Blizzard. While nothing on Blizzard matches the epic greatness of the song "Heaven and Hell", I find that overall it is a more entertaining album, more colorful. Dio's singing blows Ozzy's out of the water here, but Ozzy's melodies have better hooks, more memorable. The only real clunker on Blizzard is "No Bone Movies" and though H&H doesn't have any bad songs per se, many of them are just good without really wowing me (my opinion here, don't get mad!) Among the lackluster songs are Lady Evil, Walk Away, Lonely is the Word, and, I know many will disagree, but Children of the Sea. On Blizzard, Mr. Crowley is a bit over the top, as is Revelation (Mother Earth), and Ozzy's singing on "Goodbye to Romance" is dreadful, but all of those songs have great hooks, hit material ya know? As far as guitar playing I prefer Randy's solos to Iommi's on these particular albums for the most part. Seems like Iommi was too interested in showing the young kids that he could play fast like Eddie...he does have great solos on H&H the song and Lonely is the Word though. Blizzard gets an 8, H&H gets a 7.
    Heaven and Hell
    58.02%
    Blizzard of Ozz
    29.63%
    Apples and Oranges
    12.35%

all I can say is Tony was probably frowning when he heard Blizzard ...and Im sure Bill had a shit eatin' grin for a week.

Comment

Both are great, but for me H&H is better.

Comment

Heaven and Hell easily on this one. Mob Rules vs Diary of a Madman? Not sure I could even cast a vote there, 2 almost perfect albums- as long as we skip the 2002 "Remasters."
        The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
        The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
        As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
        We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Well, here we are on a Black Sabbath fan site, the results aren't surprising so far. If y'all could give some reasons other than "I like this one way better" that would be cool though, discussions are always better than shouting matches

Duck Season!

Wabbit Season!

Comment

Heaven & Hell, definitely.

Never have been a fan of Blizzard Of Ozz. Always thought it was only a decent album. Heaven & Hell on the other hand, to me, every track is great.
            If the magic comes between us
            And we never meet again
            Take a part of me away
            'Cause maybe it's all above love
            ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Comment

Heaven And Hell no doubt...

Blizzard too is a great album, but not nearly as great as Heaven And Hell...

Comment

Reasons? Sorry, "it's great" is not a reason.

Comment

Both are energy-injected releases with strong songwriting, but there is just something intangible about "Heaven and Hell" that brings me back to spin the whole album over and over and over and over. "Blizzard of Ozz" just isn't quite as strong front-to-back for me.
                  Plus, "Crazy Train" is so overplayed for me that I never crave to listen to it for some reason. It's a perfectly fine song, but sometimes when I hear it I feel "sigh, not this AGAIN". Some songs I want to listen to 2000000 times, but for this one I capped out at 1500000.

Comment

Originally posted by fondula View Post
                    Both are energy-injected releases with strong songwriting, but there is just something intangible about "Heaven and Hell" that brings me back to spin the whole album over and over and over and over. "Blizzard of Ozz" just isn't quite as strong front-to-back for me.
                    Plus, "Crazy Train" is so overplayed for me that I never crave to listen to it for some reason. It's a perfectly fine song, but sometimes when I hear it I feel "sigh, not this AGAIN". Some songs I want to listen to 2000000 times, but for this one I capped out at 1500000.
                    That's the spirit Fondula! "intangibles" is usually a word we use when we can't put our finger on something, but hey, at least you tried! Crazy Train has been played to death, you're right. When I first heard it I thought it was the shiznitz, of course I was probably like 6 or 7 then

Comment

I got H&H in 1980, it completely blew my mind, it was the 3rd or 4th album I ever bought (the others I got round that time being Vol4, BS and Sabotage which also all blew my tiny mind). Tony's guitar tone coupled with Dio's phenomenal vocals were pure magic to me, a combination most perfectly illustrated on Die Young. Over time I've grown to love Mob Rules, Sabotage and possibly Vol4 and SBS a touch more than H&H, but it's still extremely strong.

I picked up Blizzard after I'd completed plugging the gaps and building up the remainder of my Sabs collection at that point, in about 1981. This also blew my mind to a degree. Randy's guitar solos were spectacular (especially for the time), and I really appreciated that Ozzy's voice was a continuing part of new music. I was quite young so it didn't really occur to me to compare it to H&H, but I did compare it to the Ozzy-era Sabbath I'd been discovering... and it didn't come close to that. I really enjoyed it though.

Over time though, Blizzard's aged less well to me than H&H, and I've listened to it comparatively less and less. Blizzard's like an amazing fond memory, whereas H&H can still deliver a current buzz.

Hence I voted H&H without a second thought, but I still think highly of Blizzard.

...and as much as I love Diary, it's nowhere even close to Mob Rules for me.
                      I don't need wings to reach the sky
                      And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                      ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

i love Blizzard of Ozz so much, if wasn't for that album i wouldn't have known about the Ozzman...... i think the riffs, bass, singing and drums on it are perfect. i still prefer Diary over it though, but you've got a song live Revelation Mother Earth then Wishing Well what do you pick? it's very hard but i voted Heaven and Hell, it's slowy becoming my favourite Sabbath album

Comment

Heaven & Hell hands down. The FAR superior album in every way. You want Reasons?

1. The Guitar playing is far superior.

2. The singing is far superior.

3. The song variety is far superior.

4. The structure and quality of each song is far superior.
                          Last edited by Steve152006; 11-19-2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I went with Blizzard of Ozz in a landslide. I love H&H a ton but for me the first two Ozzy albums are untouchable.

I love Tony's playing but you can't compare the lead playing between the two records. The leads in Mr. Crowley alone could be the finest moment ever in hard rock guitar playing. The leads in every song are like a song within song. You can hum the leads as if they were a vocal melody. The smoothness Randy plays with while he is triple tracking his leads in unheard of. Listen to the diversity between the leads of GTR and CT. Just amazing. The lead in Revelation is so classically influenced it is scary.

Now lets talk about the number 1 reason I like BOO more and that is Ozzy's melodies and vocals. As much as I hear that Dio is the superior singer he isn't the superior melody writer. The songs on BOO are so amazingly catchy and memorable where I can't say the same on H&H. Listen to the Bridges on Mr. Crowley, I Don't Know and Crazy Train it is just amazing. The verse's of Revelation and GTR are so catchy. As bad as everyone thinks NBM is it is still way better than the Disco flavored Lady Evil. One of my least liked Sabbath songs.

This is tough as I said earlier Ozzy is my favorite vocalist and RR is my favorite Guitarist (Tony is Second). Their 2 albums together was just so magical. I know I am in the minority here but I thought I would at least give my vote.
                            Religion won't save me
                            The damage is done
                            The future has ended
                            Before it's begun
                            - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by Steve152006 View Post
                              Heaven & Hell hands down. The FAR superior album in every way. You want Reasons?

1. The Guitar playing is far superior.

2. The singing is far superior.

3. The song variety is far superior.

4. The structure and quality of each song is far superior.
                              Well you made this easy for me. See above, I feel the same way.
                              "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Working...
                              X