Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the deluxe editions really worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the deluxe editions really worth it?

I was just kind of wondering if most of you have picked them up or if you guys think they are worth it. I am having to re-purchase my Sabbath collection so I don't have of the albums at the moment and just kind of wondering about them. To be honest I was mostly curious about the sound quality as I don't care that much about all the bonus tracks and extra discs of material. Plus the deluxe editions aren't cheap I've noticed as they are imports on amazon.com. If the sound quality isn't that great of an improvement or none at all I'm more than content on getting The Black Box and Rules of Hell to cover my Ozzy and Dio needs and just purchasing the castle remasters of The Eternal Idol, and Seventh Star. (Born Again's castle remaster has gone out of print on amazon so it appears I have no choice but to buy that one as a deluxe edition) I do intend to buy the tony martin albums as deluxe editions if they come out because obviously they are all out of print (except eternal idol), so that will be the easiest way to acquire them.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Import them yourself from the UK. If you buy a few at a time, it cuts down on import costs.

Are they worth it? Only you can answer that. The remaster work on several of them is quite good.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

In a way, yes, for those who missed out on some of the purchases. I only ever had a non physical version of Eternal Idol up until now because the B-Sides and Ray Gillen's EI were a good addition to add. Same goes for Mob Rules, because they added the Live At Hammersmith release. Yeah, my copy isn't as special as the original limited edition numbered version, but I much rather have any physical version then none at all. To date, these are the only editions I have that I have had "remastered" (other than the one swoop Black Box Ozzy era deal they had), of the studio albums.

Of course, no, also only if you don't care for the extras and/or sort of an audiophile that likes the original prints. I myself have original prints of the Tony Martin IRS era albums, but I'm still looking forward to purchasing them with the add ons. I either got lucky at the time of 2005 bought these new at now-defunct Circuit City stores or second hand owners on Ebay or now defunct Cd Recyclery stores. To each their own.

In short, I have read your post, and I figure you may as well just buy what you don't have. The miracle of Re-issues: always a savior for the average music collector.
      Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 05-03-2011, 01:42 PM.
      "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
        In a way, yes, for those who missed out on some of the purchases. I only ever had a non physical version of Eternal Idol up until now because the B-Sides and Ray Gillen's EI were a good addition to add. Same goes for Mob Rules, because they added the Live At Hammersmith release. Yeah, my copy isn't as special as the original limited edition numbered version, but I much rather have any physical version then none at all. To date, these are the only editions I have that I have had "remastered" (other than the one swoop Black Box Ozzy era deal they had), of the studio albums.
        While the Vol 4 - Never Say Die releases in this series werre just the album, the remastering work is quite good. It's also the only way to get them individually. The Black Box remastering work is ONLY available if you buy all of them at once (basically Black Box).

I myself have original prints of the Tony Martin IRS era albums, but I'm still looking forward to purchasing them with the add ons.
        I'm more looking forward to the remastering work. As much as I like Headless Cross, it lacks some punch. Needs a good remaster. And the remix of Forbidden will be quite cool.
        Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
        View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Verily, for this knight hath acquireth'd ye "Paranoid" Deluxe Edition and found it to be worth every penny tenfold! For of what use be money if not to be lavished upon the greatest music this world hath ever known!

This post now concludeth!
          FRIENDS IN SABBATH! BEHOLD THIS KNIGHT'S WEB-TALES BY EN'CLICKING UPON YE LINK, HITHER:
          www.heavymetalsuperstar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Black Knight View Post
            Verily, for this knight hath acquireth'd ye "Paranoid" Deluxe Edition and found it to be worth every penny tenfold! For of what use be money if not to be lavished upon the greatest music this world hath ever known!

Just my 2 cents, but if you go on posting stuff like this, you're soon going to be one sad knight-errant. Don't say no one told you...
            Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
            "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

on the other hand, the "Black Sabbath" jokes thread would welcome such posts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gardener View Post
                Just my 2 cents, but if you go on posting stuff like this, you're soon going to be one sad knight-errant. Don't say no one told you...

Verily, this knight hath a love most true for Black Sabbath and every one of their timeless odes! If professing this love be'ith a "wrong", then this knight hath no desire to be "right"!

If this knight could serenade'eth ye Sabbath, behold these words this knight would'est dedicate to them:

When I first met you, didn't realize
                I can't forget you, for your surprise
                you introduced me, to my mind
                And left me wanting, you and your kind

I love you, Oh you know it

My life was empty, forever on a down
                Until you took me, showed me around
                My life is free now, my life is clear
                I love you Black Sabbath, though you can't hear

Come on now, try them out!

Straight people don't know, what you're about
                They put you down and shut you out
                you gave to me a new belief
                and soon the world will love you Black Sabbath!

FRIENDS IN SABBATH! BEHOLD THIS KNIGHT'S WEB-TALES BY EN'CLICKING UPON YE LINK, HITHER:
                www.heavymetalsuperstar.com

Comment

I can't read these posts without grinding my teeth...
                  Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                  No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
                  I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
                  I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Comment

Originally posted by Ochlocracy View Post
                    I can't read these posts without grinding my teeth...
                    I've just damaged myself headbutting the monitor in despair!
                    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

I wouldn't dare bang my monitor, I have a laptop. I guess I'll settle with dentures...
                      Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                      No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
                      I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
                      I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Comment

The first 3 are essential, you cannot live without them.

Vol 4 through Never Say Die, well, that's up to you. While they do not feature any bonus material, they are rather nice-sounding. Me likey.

The rest, so far, have had bonus disks - Some hits, some near-misses. Aesthetically, nice to have. I got them all, and am happy I did so.

If you're super-satisfied with the Sanctuary copies of Vol 4 to NSD, not a terribly big deal I don't think. But if you don't already have them, or if you were toilet-trained at gunpoint as many of us are, then they're a worthy purchase. In the US, best bet is to go to the UK Amazon (even with international postage, it's far cheaper there).

All the best,
                        PAULIE
                        Last edited by Paulie 88; 05-11-2011, 08:48 AM. Reason: Decided to not feed the troll.
                        http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Honestly I think I'm just gonna buy the Born Again, Seventh Star, and Eternal Idol deluxe editions only for right now. The Ozzy and Dio eras I'm just going to purchase their respective box sets. I don't need all that fancy bonus material. The only reason I'm even getting BA, SS, and EI is for the updated remaster. If those had been packaged into a box set and released recently like the Ozzy and Dio eras, I'd buy that instead of deluxe editions.

Same goes for Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes and Forbidden when those get released I'm sure I'll be picking those up on deluxe edition as well. But that'll be the easiest way to get those albums too since obviously most of us are well aware that those albums are out of print right now. Remasters of those will be nice too!

Sorry folks. I 'm a huge enough fan to want every album, but I don't need the instrumental versions of the songs, or random live tracks. I'll stick to official live albums for that.
                          I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                            Honestly I think I'm just gonna buy the Born Again, Seventh Star, and Eternal Idol deluxe editions only for right now. The Ozzy and Dio eras I'm just going to purchase their respective box sets. I don't need all that fancy bonus material. The only reason I'm even getting BA, SS, and EI is for the updated remaster. If those had been packaged into a box set and released recently like the Ozzy and Dio eras, I'd buy that instead of deluxe editions.

Same goes for Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes and Forbidden when those get released I'm sure I'll be picking those up on deluxe edition as well. But that'll be the easiest way to get those albums too since obviously most of us are well aware that those albums are out of print right now. Remasters of those will be nice too!

Sorry folks. I 'm a huge enough fan to want every album, but I don't need the instrumental versions of the songs, or random live tracks. I'll stick to official live albums for that.
                            That's how I am also. I would only add The Mob Rules one too my list.
                            "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Originally posted by DISCMAN1969 View Post
                              I would only add The Mob Rules one too my list.
                              I also recommend that. Live at Hammersmith Odeon is much better than Live Evil. Better sound, great performance and great live feeling

Comment

Working...
                              X