Tony Iommi named best-ever metal guitarist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Iommi named best-ever metal guitarist

Dunno if this was said here on the forum before...if has been, ignore this thread...anyway,here goes
    Frankly, I wouldn't put Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield 2nd place!!!

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...tal-guitarist/

Gibson have named Black Sabbath icon Tony Iommi as the greatest heavy metal guitarist of all time.
    He heads a top ten which also features Metallica pair Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield plus late Ozzy Osbourne axeman Randy Rhoads.
    Three of Ozzy’s collaborators make the list, with Zakk Wylde taking the number seven position. Dimebag Darrell Abbott is the only other entry asides from Rhoads to have passed away.
    Guitar firm Gibson say: “Ot all rock’n'roll’s many styles metal is the most brutal. No matter the sub-genre, metal is held together by a reliance on loud riffing guitars and, of course, an inspiring lead guitarist.
    “Tony’s dark, distinct guitar textures in Black Sabbath helped spearhead the heavy metal movement. Iron Man and Paranoid boast some of the most memorable riffs of all time, with crushingly heavy choruses. His playing is immortalised through the generations of bands that have followed.”
    Gibson’s Greatest heavy metal guitarists

1. Tony Iommi
    2. Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield
    3. Randy Rhoads
    4. John Petrucci
    5. Dimebag Darrell
    6. Eddie Van Halen
    7. Zakk Wylde
    8. Adam Jones
    9. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
    10. George Lynch

There's a reason Hammet & Hetfield are paired together, i'd say. One is an awsome rythm-guitarist, the other a decent lead, and together they're able to do what others can do on their own. But i don't agree with them being on 2.nd place. I'd rather see Hetfield by himself at 8th or 9th place. And Petrucci, what the hell? There's nothing Metal about his wanking...

The only ones who really deserves to be on that list are Iommi and Dime (and to some extent Hetfield, as rythm-guitar is much more important to true Metal than lead...).
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Do all these guys play Gibsons? could be biased except Tony is #1.
      "Too many people advising me, but they don't know what my eyes see." ~ The Writ

Comment

I'd like to see the Maiden guitar-duo a bit higher, they made some of the most influential and commercially successful metal music out there. John Petrucci I can understand to a certain extent, I don't like anything he's written but he can play very fast etc, if I liked his style I guess I'd be praising him alot.

EDIT: Good point Chris. I know Randy played Gibson Flying V and Les Paul a lot. Dave Murray plays a Fender Stratocaster in every video/picture I've seen, and Adrian Smith plays different brands if I'm not mistaken, can't remember ever seeing him with a Gibson on any occasion... Have no idea about the others, don't care much for them.
        Last edited by Josef_K; 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM.
        "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
        -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
        - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
        http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

"....,but the seasons changed too fast,..."

Comment

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
            John Petrucci I can understand to a certain extent, I don't like anything he's written but he can play very fast etc,
            Is playing fast all there is to metal?

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
            Adrian Smith plays different brands if I'm not mistaken, can't remember ever seeing him with a Gibson on any occasion... Have no idea about the others, don't care much for them.
            Every pic i've seen of Smith he's either playing Les Paul (early days) or SG (later days)
            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

I remember Jake Elvis Lee saying that just playing fast sounds like your wankin' off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Webster View Post
                I remember Jake Elvis Lee saying that just playing fast sounds like your wankin' off.
                Well, it does, doesn't it? Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen and such WANKERS!!!

Comment

^^^And Iommi from 1980-1995!

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Boy View Post
                    ^^^And Iommi from 1980-1995!
                    I wont argue with you about that one, but still not nearly as bad as the beforehand mentioned.

Comment

Aside from Iommi being #1, this list pretty much sucks. EVH should be higher, Hammet should be on a position with three digits, and the fact that guy like George Lynch is on this list is laughable. The guy was as cheesy 80's shredder as they come. Good guitarist, but should be nowhere near the top 10. And guys like Adam Jones just shouldn't be that high on the list.

Noticed now that it's actually Hetfield and Hammet on the #2 spot. Then it's understandable, considering their influnce/popularity, but they still wouldn't be anywhere near my top 20.
                      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Well Tony is the greatest guitar player in the world. That's all that matters...the rest on the list....well I couldn't care less.

Comment

The guitar players from Judas Preist didnt even make the top 10. Where is Angus and Malcom Young on this list ?
                          Last edited by scorpio 2000; 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpio 2000 View Post
                            The guitar players from Judas Preist didnt even make the top 10. Where is Angus and Malcom Young on this list ?
                            Yes, The absence of Downing and Tipton is unforgivable, but this list was strictly about metal guitarists. AC/DC aren't metal really.
                            Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM.
                            "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                            "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                            "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Webster View Post
                              Do all these guys play Gibsons? could be biased except Tony is #1.
                              As far as I know, only Tony, Zakk and Randy are/were know to use them from that list.
                              Well I don’t want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                              No I don’t want no one to tell me where I’m gonna go when I die
                              I wanna live my life, I don’t want people telling me what to do
                              I just believe in myself, ’cause no one else is true

Comment

Working...
                              X