Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman

Comment

I've always hated any lists of greatest guitarists, as they're so unbelievably WRONG and they always include undeserving people on too high positions and too legendary people on too low positions. That fucking Rolling Stone magazine had recently placed that fucking Kurt Cobain way above CARLOS SANTANA!!! A box full of Rolling Stone magazines should be thrown at the people who decided like that...

Classic Rock magazine redeemed itself by placing Tony Iommi on the top position as he truly is the greatest metal guitarist - I think he's not only the greatest, but he's also the first metal guitarist.
      "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Paul View Post
        90% of bad shredders shouldn't give them all a bad name. Iommi's style of soloing frequently comes into the shredding category too.

George Lynch is easily top 5 in that list, out of the guitarists there I would place him at No.3.

You got it wrong, I enjoy good shredders like Malmsteen, Rhoads, EVH, Campbell, Goldy or Satriani, but in addition to guys like that the 80's produced an army of faceless shredders, who all sound alike. Lynch for an example is obviously a great guitarist, but he's style and sound isn't that unique really. And for that I'd never place him anywhere near my top 30 or so.

But you're right, on that list he'd probably be on my top 7.
        "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Of course Iommi is the greatest metal guitarist, he INVENTED the genre... guitar duo's are for sissys.. I'm old school, it's one giutarist in the band, period! Let the Southern fried Rockers and 80's wanna be's deal with multiple guitar players, they need them to even come close to Iommi's thunderous sound.
          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Paul View Post
            Lynch has a very unique sense of melody with Dokken as did the rest of the band.
            Don't know about that, to my ears their material sounds like very typical 80's hair metal alį Giuffria, King Cobra and the rest. Lynch is probably better than an average 80's shredder, but has never really done much for me. He has a unique picking style though.
            "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
            "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
              Is playing fast all there is to metal?

Every pic i've seen of Smith he's either playing Les Paul (early days) or SG (later days)
              Is playing fast all there is to metal? Well who am I to answer that, I hardly listen to metal. I'm just saying, obviously the guy has been practicing some... and I've heard that he is kinda inventive on paper at least, so while I personally get bored by his music I might actually be missing out on something just because the sound is not my style. Maybe I'm not though :D

Oh, my mistake about Smith then, I guess I didn't know/care much about guitar brands when I was in my Maiden phase (hmm... that expression could be misinterpreted...). Anyway:

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-play...-and-equipment
              http://www.dimarzio.com/player/adrian-smith
              http://www.metal-archives.com/images...rtist.jpg?0639

Google is your friend :D So yeah, is clearly NOT the obvious Gibson fan that Iommi is at least ^^
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
              -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
              - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
              http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
                I've heard that he is kinda inventive on paper at least, so while I personally get bored by his music I might actually be missing out on something just because the sound is not my style. Maybe I'm not though
                You're not missing out on anything. And he's not really that inventive either...

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
                Oh, my mistake about Smith then, I guess I didn't know/care much about guitar brands when I was in my Maiden phase (hmm... that expression could be misinterpreted...). So yeah, is clearly NOT the obvious Gibson fan that Iommi is at least ^^
                As a Maiden-hater i'm actually amazed i'm in this discussion, but; this are the only settings i've seen Smith in until now..: (and i'm not arguing now, clarely you've made your point...)

95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                  Well Tony is the greatest guitar player in the world. That's all that matters...the rest on the list....well I couldn't care less.
                  Agreed Charger. And lists like this are never going to please everyone, I don't really understand why they do them. Everyone's opinion is different. Your top metal guitarist is who you want it to be. And for me it's Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                    You're not missing out on anything. And he's not really that inventive either...

As a Maiden-hater i'm actually amazed i'm in this discussion, but; this are the only settings i've seen Smith in until now..: (and i'm not arguing now, clarely you've made your point...)

In addition to Gibsons Smith has used Jacksons as well. One of his main guitars nowadays is his signature Jackson Strat:

Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Michael Schenker is the greatest guitarist to ever live. Then Ritchie Blackmore, then probably Tony.

Comment

Adrain has played on Ibanez guitars too :

and Dean Gtrs

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Originally posted by Axeman77 View Post
                        Michael Schenker is the greatest guitarist to ever live. Then Ritchie Blackmore, then probably Tony.
                        how not to agree !!

Comment

Working...
                        X