The listen!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Foul Stench View Post
    Mainly cause Sabotage has worn off for me and I never felt Writ and Thrill were really special. Symptom sounds better live and the psychedelia of Megalomania no longer interests me. Hole in the sky is about the only song I listen to. It was my fave Sab album when I started out.
    Oh my goodness

Comment

• I think there are 2 types of listeners,
      You have your musicians like yourself that can pick apart the songs, that are able to know what chords are being played, drum patterns, bass lines etc etc, you appreciate the art of the instruments more than the casual listeners.

Then you have the non- musically defined listeners that probably concentrate more on the song structure and the lyrics and are able to make a bond and connection with the music that way,

Heck if I was a musician I probably wouldn't be into most of the bands I enjoy listening to

Then you have the average joe public that has no real passion or interest in decent music at all and will just purchase whatever garbage is being played on the radio, just look at the top 40 singles in the charts every week,

Music is therapeutic for me, I've got a song or album for every mood and 8/10 it'll be a sab one.
      Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM.
      Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

• Been listening to TDYK quite a lot lately. Just finished listening Atom & Evil through my studio headphones, and I had forgotten what an powerful performance Appice turns in on it! Many criticize Vinny's playing on TDYK (me included), and rightfully so. But he has his moments there, and A&E is certainly one of them. Just listen to those rolling tom fills or his kick drum work in the last verse - those triplets he uses to accentuate Geezer's bass lines sound really cool. It's a shame the album's mix is so muddy, you really have to pay attention to spot some of the subtle moments of greatness spread throughout the album.

"The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

• Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
          Been listening to TDYK quite a lot lately. Just finished listening Atom & Evil through my studio headphones, and I had forgotten what an powerful performance Appice turns in on it! Many criticize Vinny's playing on TDYK (me included), and rightfully so. But he has his moments there, and A&E is certainly one of them. Just listen to those rolling tom fills or his kick drum work in the last verse - those triplets he uses to accentuate Geezer's bass lines sound really cool. It's a shame the album's mix is so muddy, you really have to pay attention to spot some of the subtle moments of greatness spread throughout the album.

Spot on STAR , what an amazing track and structure of drum playing! .... going to listen to your post here right now buddy!!! .... Tdyk has alot of great vinny moments believe it or not!! DEHUMANIZER is Vinny's crowning moment , I can't believe when I say this , but it is TRULY one of the single most unique BEST drum albums I have ever heard , analyzed and broken down .... i believe it to be the Cozy factor during writing , the Ward factor using Paranoid and heaven n Hell as a blue print .... and Vinny just crushing his kit , and giving us a drum performance worthy of the highest sabbath caliber .... and that's saying lot!!!

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
          I think there are 2 types of listeners,
          You have your musicians like yourself that can pick apart the songs, that are able to know what chords are being played, drum patterns, bass lines etc etc, you appreciate the art of the instruments more than the casual listeners.

Then you have the non- musically defined listeners that probably concentrate more on the song structure and the lyrics and are able to make a bond and connection with the music that way,

Heck if I was a musician I probably wouldn't be into most of the bands I enjoy listening to

Then you have the average joe public that has no real passion or interest in decent music at all and will just purchase whatever garbage is being played on the radio, just look at the top 40 singles in the charts every week,

Music is therapeutic for me, I've got a song or album for every mood and 8/10 it'll be a sab one.
          Your a great fan SPIRAL!!!!

@EDTRADER , if you read this , I will help you get some books out to people here on the forums!!

@WALL , Your on the right course with the Ward situation .... really it is a combo of things over time , pride over alot of different area's being a major reason contract was not signed and of course money .... sure his slow artsy attitude , thought process and non touring shape played into things .... but Bill has been pretty clear on his part.

@NID , the Zep red labels are sonically superior to most , I do believe your going to be sonically surprised how good both the new deluxe vinyls and cd's sound .... have had the pleasure to give them a full run through.... but I would still have to say the absolute sonic standard for Zep material are the 45 rpm classic records series , audiophile box.

Guys , I'm getting some new gems in for a sabbath June to remember!!!!

I have been evaluating BAD BLOOD and THE NEXT TIME over and over lately , was wondering anyone's thoughts here on the subject of these two tracks ..... i think there literally fantastic!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGDlIzd2toA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dak01Pbt5-E

@AXE , great thought process on SNOWBLIND , ATOM N EVIL!! .... stay on top of mapleshade!! ....great picture man , congratulations with everything happening for you , so deserving you are!!

@STENCH , how are you brother ... TECHNICAL ECSTASY is the album where Iommi makes the turn from one of the best , to the absolute best .... His guitar playing just matures beyond comprehension with this release ....

God bless all

Comment

• Axe, do you have any new Downtrend gigs scheduled? I still want to see you open for BLS.

Doc, which Kool-Aid flavors do you serve at listen events? What do you think of Bill's work on Hand of Doom? Which track do you rate as Bill's most special performance?

I need to listen to a very special Sabbath track- The Writ.

Comment

• Doc who's better Viney or Ward? I love Bill!!

Comment

• Doc, I agree with you. The 45 RPM Classic Record releases are the best. I think for original pressings that many regard the Cdn Atlantic pressings as the pinnacle. I'm not an audiophile as much as I am an archivist, but I would say they both sound amazing, but different. I do find that the Cdn red Atlantics have a crispness to them, that appeals to my ear.....more snap to the drums.

I also agree that TE signified a change in Tony's proficiency, and a much cleaner sound.
                Last edited by Now in Darkness; 05-22-2014, 08:40 PM.
                Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• I totally agree
                  Originally posted by Foul Stench View Post
                  I'm giving Fused another listen, but to me it sounds as bad as before. It sounds like the generic rock heard on radio and Hughes sounds excessively Rn'b. Tony's riff's are some of his most disappointing. The whole sound is closer to Nickelback than Sabbath... the output since Forbidden has been patchy to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                    Spot on STAR , what an amazing track and structure of drum playing! .... going to listen to your post here right now buddy!!! .... Tdyk has alot of great vinny moments believe it or not!! DEHUMANIZER is Vinny's crowning moment , I can't believe when I say this , but it is TRULY one of the single most unique BEST drum albums I have ever heard
                    You guys are incredibly lucky to actually be able to enjoy such sub par drumming (emotionally, that is, timekeepingwize he's on par, though...) Guess you'll take the full step soon and start listening to drum machine-music. Other than TDYK...
                    Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
                    Doc, which Kool-Aid flavors do you serve at listen events?
                    Electric Kool-Aid, Merry Pranksters-style
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Doc, Bad Blood and The Next Time are excellent. Underrated if only because they're not on Dehumanizer itself, just the demos/rehearsals. The Next Time is a great example of Iommi's talent, listen to that and then Psychophobia. The same riff is used but in a completely different manner, a whole new atmosphere.

Replied to your PM.

Comment

• I'm writing to you , in the usual way .... With tears in my eye's "or if you prefer"

I'm writing today , in the usual way .... With tears in my eye's

What song guys? .... gives me friggin goosebumps!!!! ... wish I could think of the next verse.

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                        Doc, Bad Blood and The Next Time are excellent. Underrated if only because they're not on Dehumanizer itself, just the demos/rehearsals. The Next Time is a great example of Iommi's talent, listen to that and then Psychophobia. The same riff is used but in a completely different manner, a whole new atmosphere.

Replied to your PM.
                        Bad blood , the next time , letters from earth version 3 ... along with over 40 tracks just as obscure over all these years , let it down easy .... etc .... are the secret ingredients to the true taste of Sabbath .... mesmerizing!!!

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                        You guys are incredibly lucky to actually be able to enjoy such sub par drumming (emotionally, that is, timekeepingwize he's on par, though...) Guess you'll take the full step soon and start listening to drum machine-music. Other than TDYK...

Electric Kool-Aid, Merry Pranksters-style
                        Haha .... acid baby!!!!! ....actually no drum machine on TDYK , that's a myth .... knowing your a real true musician , I will encourage you with headphones and eye's closed to revisit , even tho you hate it , Iommi solo album , dio sucks , etc etc etc .... put DEHUMANIZER on and pay close attention to the drums , for I believe you will be very surprised just how good Vinny plays .... In fact as good as any drummer you love ... not joking , and I know all your favorite ... cus I love ya

I'm giving Fused another listen, but to me it sounds as bad as before. It sounds like the generic rock heard on radio and Hughes sounds excessively Rn'b. Tony's riff's are some of his most disappointing. The whole sound is closer to Nickelback than Sabbath... the output since Forbidden has been patchy to me.
                        Originally posted by WICD1969 View Post
                        I totally agree

I tried to like it, but I just couldn't.
                        Very interesting confused statements ..... Fused is actually more acclaimed then both Tdyk and 13 , and the most acclaimed album since mob rules , and burn by either artist , and diver and blizzard by similar artist .... While still being unknown and underground a bit , sounds nothing like Nickelback , in fact sounds different from anything .... One of the single most impeccable releases to ever see the light of day .... All 13 tracks , flow , Iommi , Hughes , lyrics , vocals and bass are at an all time pinnacle .... as for Kenny on drums , beyond compare!!!

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                        Doc, I agree with you. The 45 RPM Classic Record releases are the best. I think for original pressings that many regard the Cdn Atlantic pressings as the pinnacle. I'm not an audiophile as much as I am an archivist, but I would say they both sound amazing, but different. I do find that the Cdn red Atlantics have a crispness to them, that appeals to my ear.....more snap to the drums.

I also agree that TE signified a change in Tony's proficiency, and a much cleaner sound.
                        How's mom brother .... i will read your post by morning and pray appropriately.

Originally posted by ronn View Post
                        Doc who's better Viney or Ward? I love Bill!!
                        Ward is the most accomplished unique one of a kind drummers in the world's history....

Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
                        Axe, do you have any new Downtrend gigs scheduled? I still want to see you open for BLS.

Doc, which Kool-Aid flavors do you serve at listen events? What do you think of Bill's work on Hand of Doom? Which track do you rate as Bill's most special performance?

I need to listen to a very special Sabbath track- The Writ.
                        The Writ is indeed one of the most significant pieces in Sabbath's history .... In fact it is the only song of its kind found on any of the 27 sabbath studio releases ... wow!

Drums on hand of Doom .... are spectacular yet subtle , they own the space with in all 6 time changes .... no other drummer could even begin to pull this off...... One word , FEEL!!

Would have to really think hard on that question .... but without doubt it would be found on the NEVER SAY DIE album ..... WISHING WELL and LONELY IS THE WORD would be close seconds!

Guys sabbath are fn awesome!!

Comment

• Doc, thanks for asking about my Mom. She is doing increasingly badly. The short version is that she has been through all the conventional treatments, and trials, and has been cut off by the system. We are now paying $2000 per month for a drug that costs $10,000 a month, but was provided by the manufacturer at a reduced cost, on a compassionate basis. We have yet to learn the results, but this drug was not designed for her cancer, although it has triggered a low grade response in some patients. She's a real fighter Doc, but she is suffering terribly, and the inevitable will happen. It's just a matter of when. I appreciate the prayers very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                            Haha .... acid baby!!!!! ....actually no drum machine on TDYK , that's a myth .... knowing your a real true musician , I will encourage you with headphones and eye's closed to revisit , even tho you hate it , Iommi solo album , dio sucks , etc etc etc .... put DEHUMANIZER on and pay close attention to the drums , for I believe you will be very surprised just how good Vinny plays .... In fact as good as any drummer you love ... not joking , and I know all your favorite ... cus I love ya
                            It's apparent Vinnie had to mostly copy Iommi and Mike X's drum programing, you can hear this isn't what a drummer would've chosen to play if he had a word in the matter. But that is a very common way to make records these days, so i'm not pointing my finger and blaming specific persons.

And Dio doesn't suck, he's just too far away from what i consider Rock to be, i just can't enjoy it anymore.
                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                              Doc, thanks for asking about my Mom. She is doing increasingly badly. The short version is that she has been through all the conventional treatments, and trials, and has been cut off by the system. We are now paying $2000 per month for a drug that costs $10,000 a month, but was provided by the manufacturer at a reduced cost, on a compassionate basis. We have yet to learn the results, but this drug was not designed for her cancer, although it has triggered a low grade response in some patients. She's a real fighter Doc, but she is suffering terribly, and the inevitable will happen. It's just a matter of when. I appreciate the prayers very much.
                              Well damn.......I'm sorry to read this. I know what you are going through in a way I just wish it didn't have to be like this.
                              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

• Thank-you OID. I really appreciate your kindness.

Comment

Working...
                                X