No announcement yet.

The listen!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what might have been if Ward had joined the Sabbath line up in 94-95 as it was said to be happening. A Heaven and Hell part II might be a good idea.

Comment

• Hey Doc - I hope you are well and everything is good for you and yours my Sabbath brother!!

Thanks again so much for completing my Sabbath collection along with my Sabbath vinyl Ozzy era collection. Forbidden is a lot better than I thought (I hated it when it was first released - sacrilegious I know ) and I love listening to it now and find it to be very underrated. The Technical Ecstasy vinyl sound fantastic - they did a fine job on those Rhino reissues.

I meant to ask you if you had the Ozzy Years three CD collection - I have a copy and there is a decently priced one at a local record store that I would not hesitate to pick up for you if you do not already own it. I think I may have asked you this a while ago but I could not remember if you responded or not.

Anyway all the best Doc and have a great Fall and looking forward to your presence and posts on the board in the future.

Blessings my friend!
      Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• @Thel , very kind of you!! ,,,, thank you for that post , that offer and such .... Keep loving the Sabs!

@Ronn , ha! ,, thanks for the words ,,, I must admit , I do tend to enjoy the doubt of others , for I know where I stand , and it's solid.

@OID , YES GET!!

@Jack , Joe was very thankful for your support.

@Sin Cardinal Sin , good thoughts!!

@Billy , promo ep and a full length cd , how would that sit with you ,,, just a thought!

@Billy , take a read of the book .... very short like 130 pages , a great read of "More than a Carpenter" , nice easy , yet thought challenging read.....

..... @Sicko , take some time and get your hands on this book , Typhon , Wall and others .. take time and let this book enter your Eye Gates .... could possibly be very rewarding for ya's!

God Bless ... "Make no mistake about it: Jesus claimed to be God. He didn't leave another option. His claim must be either true or false. It’s something that must be given serious consideration."

Since its release, More Than a Carpenter has been challenging readers to ask the question, "Who is Jesus?" Author and renowned speaker Josh McDowell acknowledges that while the topic of God is widely accepted, the name of Jesus often causes irritation. "Why don't the names of Buddha, Mohammed, Confucius offend people? The reason is that these others didn't claim to be God, but Jesus did." By addressing questions about scientific and historical evidence, the validity of the Bible, and proofs of the resurrection, McDowell helps the reader come to an informed and intelligent decision about whether Jesus was a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord. This short, 128-page gem does not employ fancy theological words, forsaking the layman, but reads more like an intimate research document laying out the facts with veracious accuracy, from reliable sources ranging from secular scientists to conservative seminarians. A skeptic himself for many years, McDowell always believed that Christians were "out of their minds" but now insists that "never has an individual been called upon to commit intellectual suicide in trusting Christ as Savior and Lord." McDowell adeptly articulates fundamental answers to poignant questions that cause the skeptic to consider whether Jesus was a liar causing countless martyrs to die in his wake, a lunatic deserving death, or actually the Lord of the universe.

2,000 years ago Jesus entered the human race. He was a member of a poor family, part of a small Jewish community, and a resident of one of the smallest countries in the world. Most of his 33 years on earth he was a carpenter, following in the profession of his step-father. His last three years were spent in public ministry.

Ask a group of people “Who is Jesus Christ?” and they will usually respond that he was a great religious leader. I agree, but I believe He was much more.

Who did Jesus claim to be?

The distinct claims of Jesus to be God eliminate the popular idea that he was just a good moral man or a prophet who said lots of profound things. Often such conclusions are passed off as the only ones acceptable to scholars. The trouble is that many people agree, never seeing the error of such reasoning.

Who people believed Jesus to be was fundamentally important to him. To say the things Jesus said about himself and to claim the things he claimed, there’s no way we can conclude that he was just a good moral man or a religious prophet. For example…

He forgave sins—something only God can do.

“When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven.’ Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, ‘….Who can forgive sins but God alone?’” (Mark 2:5-10).

He claimed equality with God.

“I and the Father are one,” Jesus said. When the religious leaders prepared to stone him to death, Jesus asked, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” They answered, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God” (John 10:30-33).

He claimed to be the only way to God.

“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

These are hardly claims an ordinary person would make!

How should we respond to Jesus’ claims?

Author C.S. Lewis once believed that Jesus was just a good, moral teacher. Then he came to understood the logical conclusion of the claims Jesus made, and experienced a complete change of heart.

Afterwards he wrote, “I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on the level with the man who says he’s a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse” (from Mere Christianity).

Then Lewis adds this about Jesus: “You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

Make no mistake about it: Jesus claimed to be God. He didn't leave another option. His claim must be either true or false. It’s something that must be given serious consideration.

Who do you say that Jesus is?

Jesus asked his disciples, “Who do you say that I am?” It is a question that every one of us must answer now…or when we face God at the final judgment: “It is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). Thankfully, the Bible says that whoever believes in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, as their Savior from sin “is not condemned.” But it warns that “whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God” (John 3:18).

Three days after his crucifixion, Jesus rose from the grave, proving victory over sin’s ultimate consequence—death. He cleared the way to God “by being the first to rise from the dead” (Acts 26:23)!

Have you trusted in Jesus Christ as your Savior? If you haven't, why not let him know right now that you believe that he is God’s Son. That you fully realize that when he died on the cross he was dying to take the penalty for your sins, so you can be forgiven by God and receive eternal life. Tell him that you want him to turn your life around, so you can please him in the way you live.

Discover for yourself that Jesus Christ is much, much more than a Jewish carpenter!
        Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 09-09-2015, 06:33 AM. Reason: Added literature on CHRIST.

Comment

• Pass!
          > > > >
          Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

• Doc did Jesus ever tell a joke or pull pranks?

Comment

• I think jesus was one of the biggest pranksters ever...come on the guy pulled fish and bread out of a hat and tricked people into thinking water had turned to wine...truth was they were probably already so drunk they couldn't even taste the difference!

But seriously this line of conversation is so outside of the forum rules it can't even see them anymore.

Comment

• A review by "Dan".

This book takes a rather slapdash approach to apologetics, and commits some grievous errors in argumentation. For instance, the author falls into the silly modern contrivance of insisting that Christianity isn't a religion, in order to dump any negativity onto his customized definition of religion and preserve the 'pure' character of his supposed personal relationship with god.

When arguing against counter-apologetics, McDowell provides an underwhelming and often inaccurate summary of the non-christian argument, and then proceeds to simply assert that god is a better explanation...just because. He points out what the god of the gaps fallacy is, and then proceeds to directly commit it multiple times.

He presents the flawed false trilemma (liar, lunatic, lord) of C.S. Lewis, and simply assumes far too often that everything recorded in the bible concerning what Jesus supposedly said and did is undisputed truth, in spite of the fact that the majority of the books contained in the bible are anonymously written, and while some of the events are historically accurate and verifiable via other sources, many, including the various miracle claims, are not. There is no requirement (beyond religious dogma) to take the bible as either completely factual or completely fictional.

Above and beyond everything, the author ignores one simple thing - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. McDowell wants to lump all historical claims together and treat them equally, regardless as to what is being described.

I suppose if one is unfamiliar with the common Christian apologetics and was already a believer, this book offers a brief, yet inadequate introduction on the topic. Someone passingly familiar with the counter arguments, however, can quickly spot the glaring holes in McDowell's case for Christianity. This book will convince the already-convinced, and perhaps sway some fence-sitters who don't care to do more than scratch the surface of the topic. Anyone else who actually cares about the issues this book attempts (and fails) to cover in any depth will find little of any use here.
                You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

• A big problem with this book seem to be the understanding of what god is... As we're all god, ofcourse Jesus was too. And yes, he was alot closer to the devine than most (some say THE closest). However, i think a big part of Jesus' teachings was about all of us getting in touch with that devinity
                  "No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
                  And though it seems between Doc and Sicko's posts i've more or less read the book, i guess i could pick it up some time

Doc, a promo-ep and album sounds awsome.

I've finally managed to start rummaging through all of the old boxes i've stored for years, and found my old Sabbath CD's. I've got the whole series from H&H (exept Mob Rules, must've lost it along the line) 'till Forbidden including Live Evil (but not Cross Purposes Live), and no need for them, so shall i send'em off to you so you can pass them on? Admittedly, having led my life and the fact they've been standing in boxes in a garage addic for years, the covers (the plastic more than the booklets) look a bit rough, but the CD's look pretty decent (can't actually check them as both my CD-playing media are f'd at the moment).
                  They're the '96 Castle remasters up 'till Eternal Idol, Headless Cross is the Classic Rock re-issue, but the rest are original.
                  Seem to've lost Sound Ex's adress though i thought i remembered to save it, but if you're interested have OID mail me yours or Sound Ex's adress.

P&L
                  Last edited by Billy Underdog; 09-09-2015, 12:49 PM.
                  95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                  Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelemech at Visitors Messages View Post
                    Hey Billy - I noticed your post in the listen about digging out your CD collection. Would you sell your copy of Cross Purposes? I have a copy already but it is not in the best of shape. If it is too much of a hassle do not worry about it!

Cheers my friend!
                    Doc; CP's going to Thel You'll fix that as you've got his adress?
                    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 09-09-2015, 01:29 PM.
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

• Btw Thel, i re-watched Headbangers Journey yesterday and noticed Sam Dunn's from Victoria B.C. Your musical taste seem a bit rawer than his, so i don't think you're him, but do you by any chance know him? Just wondering if he's just the calm and enjoyable guy in real life as he comes off as on screen...

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                        Doc; CP's going to Thel You'll fix that as you've got his adress?
                        Thank you very much Billy it means a lot to me, and Doc I hope you do not mind sending it my way I would be eternally grateful

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                          Thank you very much Billy it means a lot to me
                          If someone should have it, it's you

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                            Btw Thel, i re-watched Headbangers Journey yesterday and noticed Sam Dunn's from Victoria B.C. Your musical taste seem a bit rawer than his, so i don't think you're him, but do you by any chance know him? Just wondering if he's just the calm and enjoyable guy in real life as he comes off as on screen...
                            Nope - I am not him but I am friends with some people who know him and I have met him very briefly, but this was before Headbangers Journey. Most of the people that know him say he is a die hard fan and quite intelligent. I have never heard anything bad about him on the streets, in fact I have not heard much about him lately. I grew up out east in the province of New Brunswick, which coincidentally has way more in common with your Norway than British Columbia. I moved out west about 16 years ago and finally settled on Victoria about 15 years ago so I did not grow up here at the same time as Sam. There are a healthy minority of Metal Heads in town some of whom I have gotten to know (though I am not your typical Metal Head by any means) but a few of them or their older brothers and other relatives who were Metal Heads who know him. Have you ever seen his Extreme Metal Episode??? I found it too brief but well done and entertaining, also there is some info on Black Metal that is cool.

Comment

Have you ever seen his Extreme Metal Episode??? I found it too brief but well done and entertaining, also there is some info on Black Metal that is cool.
                              Yeah, should've been atleast two, one to show the beginnings and perhaps the earlier "devide" between DM and BM, and one to further explore the connections between DM, BM, Grind and everything not mentioned...

I noticed on Bangers site you could suggest topics for more episodes. Though Punk've been mentioned in every episode since NWOBHM, i think they should make a Punk episode examening the relationship between Punk and Metal from Punks point of view. From the fact they were inspired by Alice Cooper, Stooges, MC5 and others already mentioned in the series, to the fact Punk was an (one of several) inspiration to everythink from Glam Metal to Extreme Metal.

Didn't suggest, though...

Comment

I grew up out east in the province of New Brunswick, which coincidentally has way more in common with your Norway than British Columbia.
                                Btw, i've always seen a similarity between Norway and (the whole of) Canada (and New Zealand too...)

I think it's to do with all three having largely been based on farming, forestry and hunting-culture, a somewhat mild, "fair" politic, and some kinda "little brother"-complex to our neighbours (U.S., Australia and Sweden respectivly)
                                To me it visable in a kind of understanding in that shows like TPB and Flight Of The Conchords are more cult popular among the more reflected types who's not into the less substantial comedy like... f.ex Chuck Lorre.

Comment

Working...
                                X