Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    NID this made me smile.

It seems that Ozzy loves the Moodies also. He covered them on his Under Cover album.

Ah yes, Go Now. Their first hit single, by the original iteration of the band, prior to Justin Hayward joining. A wonderful tune. I have a massive Moodies vinyl library, that gives me great pleasure. Thanks axe.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• If Ozzy loved the Moody Blues, he wouldn't have done that.

Comment

• Tru dat.

I don't know if you mean the cover was bad or the choice of Moody's song wasn't the best but either way, tru.

Comment

• It's funny just how amazing it is , enjoying what the "Blackest" of Sabbath has to offer , it has the ability to do to you what no other can ... and for those who get it , you know it , and it's so damn special!!

Perfect example of this was today ,, here I am flying down route 280 with "Grace" playing notes to my ears ,,, one of Sabbaths most treasured gems from the marvelous Fused release ,,, and my head is thinking "Man , I wish next on my list was the mesmerizing 7th Star masterpiece" .... all of this while the impeccable Headless Cross and Master of Reality battle it out , in my back seat , for the right to 'grace' my ears next ..... and at that moment , the cell phone rings , it's the Gin , guy is a certified beast , but no way am I hitting stop to Hughes controlling that Sabbath fire in my brain ...

... so after "Grace" ends , I give the Gin a call back ..... "Doc! , Doc! , listen Man the greatest guitar to end a track! .... is ...."

"I know Gin , you tell me this all the time , Alex at the end of Different Strings or Randy at the end of Little Dolls ... but , let me just tell you...."

"No Doc , f that , .... Iommi at the end of Digital Bitch is the new king pin , s**t is so dope it's crazzzzzzy!!"

"That's my man! ,, wait til about 6 mins later at the end of the title track 'Born Again' if you want to hear some more tasty note playing!"

So finally I get to my destination , sitting in my car answering a text to a Lady about my thoughts on "Cry All Night" , and as I am typing these exact words ... "The End cd with its accompanying 4 'new' tracks just push the Sabbath enjoyment factor so high , it's astounding!" .... a car pulls up and all I hear is -

"Sing me a song , Your a singer .."

At that moment I just had to Smile that Smile , that those of us who get it smile , each and every time one of us are reminded of that fact - there is no other entity , with ALL of its ingredients , capable of accomplishing and covering the full spectrum of what music has to offer quite like the COMPLETE "Blackest" of Sabbath!

.... what a band

Comment

• I know those moments in Digital Bitch well. Iommi knocks it out of the park.

Heaven and Hell playing in an adjacent car when you're discussing Sabbath is one of those funny coincidences when it feels like everything has just fallen into place. Also goes to show you that Sabbath fans are everywhere!

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
              I know those moments in Digital Bitch well. Iommi knocks it out of the park.

Heaven and Hell playing in an adjacent car when you're discussing Sabbath is one of those funny coincidences when it feels like everything has just fallen into place. Also goes to show you that Sabbath fans are everywhere!
              Spoken from one who gets it ....

Comment

• Preach it Doc \m/

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                  Spoken from one who gets it ....
                  Few and far between, brother. Luckily, this board is filled with Sabbath maniacs.

After the enthusiasm for Digital Bitch, I've got Born Again on now. Ian's vocals in their prime (arguably) alongside the original instrumentalists. Doesn't get much better. Geoff Nicholls' keys are great too.

Comment

• I never understood all the hate for the song "Born Again". This has to be the "heaviest" ballad I've ever heard with lyrics that seem to come straight from Ian's soul and a beautiful heartfelt closing solo that could make you cry. IMHO one of Sabbath's greatest overlooked gems.

Comment

• Originally posted by turch118 View Post
                      I never understood all the hate for the song "Born Again". This has to be the "heaviest" ballad I've ever heard with lyrics that seem to come straight from Ian's soul and a beautiful heartfelt closing solo that could make you cry. IMHO one of Sabbath's greatest overlooked gems.
                      I don't get it either, it's a masterful composition. Maybe people feel it sticks out on the album? Fits right in, to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                        I don't get it either, it's a masterful composition. Maybe people feel it sticks out on the album? Fits right in, to me.
                        Agreed, it does fit right in, but we all know the Sabbs have been the masters at making songs like Born Again fit the mold of the particular album they are on. Planet Caravan, She's Gone and Air Dance to name a few.

Comment

• Originally posted by turch118 View Post
                          Agreed, it does fit right in, but we all know the Sabbs have been the masters at making songs like Born Again fit the mold of the particular album they are on. Planet Caravan, She's Gone and Air Dance to name a few.
                          Very true. Planet Caravan seems well liked. She's Gone and Air Dance, maybe not so much. But I think any dislike for the latter two is down to the fact that those albums aren't as universally praised as the ones that came before them. The songs on both albums are great, they're just slightly misunderstood due to the subtle shifts in sound and the turmoil surrounding the periods in which they were recorded. My opinion of course.

Comment

• Great post guys , with Sab forums n fans it is always an interesting task and revelation when the flower bud from the plant ,,, being amongst fans of the Sabs is sometimes a tricky scenario ,,, they can be so spot on - War Pigs gets insane mad props ,,,, confused - Gypsy is a waste of time ,,, or down right ignorant - Eternal Idol not happening ..... it is a more common phenomenon with the 48 year history of this great band than anything I have ever scene ,,,,, classical , jazz , rock .. u name it , nothing stirs the head scratch from its fans , while listening to other fans , more than the Sabs!

Period!! ,, no-where in music ..... kind of wtf and Kool at the same time.

A hidden treasure is found on every Sabbath release , and from Era to Era , the head scratcher that people who can get it so right at times , become bubbling idiots shortly thereafter .... and it does not have to be the ballad , it can be the most intense track on that particular release.

- Sleeping Village , hard to imagine a more haunting track , and tho it gets props , it needs to get more

- Iron Man , yep! That's correct , even our brother Sicko took it down as part of a Sabbath worse thread ,,, don't mistake popular for being the proper praise such a precious piece of music deserves ,,, this song is a hidden treasure behind its mass appeal.

- After Forever , the tempo changes alone should make this a true fan favorite , not just an extra (with great surprise and delight , this paticular forum shows mad love here).

- St Vitus Dance , this was easy ,,, this song is one of the most criminally underrated Sabbath tracks around , even my beloved Axeman has it at the bottom of his Vol 4 list.

- Who are You ; Looking for Today , 2 monster tracks that get such negative comments , it boggles the mind that these same people love Sabbath , crazy.

- Thrill of it All , need I say more!

- She's Gone , as flawless a track Sabbath has ever given us , it's the metal heads that just can't grasp when music becomes "music" ,,,, the Oz voice is utterly mesmerizing here.

- Over to You , the hands down winner for Ozzy Era underration , not even close , maybe "Dance" , but this song here is a methodical bull-dozer , with lyrical genius , amazing never talked about gem!

- Wishing Well , Wishing Well , Wishing Well ... a top ten Sabbath classic , talent force of nature ... that edges out Walk Away for one of the most underrated gems of our time.

- SOTSC , only because it can be argued that Black Sabbath has never written a better song.

- Born Again ; Keep it Warm , at this point in most conversations is where I just "Walk Away" from people ,, it's when I realize I'm amongst only "plants" ,, 2 top 30 Sabbath masterpieces without blinking.

***** now we separate the "Flowers" from the plants , the "Listeners" from the fans , the "Men" from the boys .... this is where the hidden treasures are everywhere ,,, and the world of Sabbath is so much more because of it *****

- Love the people who 7th Star just airplanes over there heads as they list 20 of the worse bands you have ever heard of as "special" ,, Angry Heart ; In Memory , some of the most pertinent Sabbath material on record.

- Eternal Idol , only because this title track may be the best title track found in the Sabbath catalog , "maybe".

- Kill in the Spirit World , underrated , hidden , treasure ,,, attach what-ever you want to it , for me personally , when some one says , "Hey Doc , what's your favorite Sabbath song?" , I want to say A National Acrobat , but always say "Symptom and Spirit World!" - one of the best endings ever recorded.

- Sabbath Stones , there is only 3 songs in the world of Sabbath as well put together as this masterpiece , yet I very seldom on these forums hear its name , scary really ... love when our brother OIM throws a wink TYR's way , believing it was an insult ; Feels Good to Me , one of the most amazing guitar solos every captured on tape.

- so easy ,,, SINS OF THE FATHER!!!

- Back to Eden , a riff and solo straight from the 70s , and my goodness Tony fn Martin!

- Kiss of Death , suffers from a reverse Iron Man affect ,, it hides behind its lack of popularity , everyone loves it who mentions it ,, but it is far from being mentioned enough. Must give a nod to "The Illusion of Power" , much like "Over to You" a methodical gem of the highest order.

- I'm Fine extended version , just waaaay too much awesomeness in one track not to get the credit it so rightfully deserves.

- Selling my Soul , riff and the Oz melody are to live for!

- Black Oblivion , my goodness as good as Sabbath gets , should be on every Sab top 20 list.

- It Falls through Me , possibly the most talented vocal on a Sabbath release.

- Resolution Song , everyone loves Fused , even plants , but how could you not ... this song right here is an underrated treasure of the most highest of order!

- Ear in the Wall , a Joe Siegler favorite , and rightfully so ... but never mentioned enough , suffers from "Selling my Soul" syndrome , people over-look it's greatness.

- Rock n Roll Angel , song is way to frigging amazing , with way to little said about it!

- Out of my Mind , should be mentioned every time we talk Ian Era ,,, itself and Holy Water are to the Ian Era what Reunion and the Dio Years are to the Oz and Dio eras , just awesome!

- easily SEASON OF THE DEAD , people shud be going "War Pigs" nuts over this track!

..... there you have it , just my opinion , "maybe" ;;;;; or as our brother Typhon once said "the don't listen!!!!!!"

God Bless

Comment

St Vitus Dance , this was easy ,,, this song is one of the most criminally underrated Sabbath tracks around , even my beloved Axeman has it at the bottom of his Vol 4 list. -

God Bless
                              WOW Greatest Memory EVER! That conversation was like 2 years ago. That is what is so amazing about Black Sabbath. While St Vitus is at the bottom of the Vol. 4 list to me, it's still extremely high on my All Time list of all music all genres everything!!

Excellent post Doc and I agree about Iron Man. The popularity, and what folks might refer to as the "burn out" factor, causes a lot of folks to lose appreciation for it. But we shouldn't. It's one of the greatest Heavy Metal songs of all time. And the most recognizable riff of all time!!!

Air Dance.... Just saying.
                              www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

with Sab forums n fans it is always an interesting task and revelation when the flower bud from the plant ,,, being amongst fans of the Sabs is sometimes a tricky scenario ,,, they can be so spot on - War Pigs gets insane mad props ,,,, confused - Gypsy is a waste of time ,,, or down right ignorant - Eternal Idol not happening ..... it is a more common phenomenon with the 48 year history of this great band than anything I have ever scene ,,,,, classical , jazz , rock .. u name it , nothing stirs the head scratch from its fans , while listening to other fans , more than the Sabs!

Period!! ,, no-where in music ..... kind of wtf and Kool at the same time.

God Bless
                                \m/ \m/ \m/

well said Doc!

Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
                                WOW Greatest Memory EVER! That conversation was like 2 years ago. That is what is so amazing about Black Sabbath. While St Vitus is at the bottom of the Vol. 4 list to me, it's still extremely high on my All Time list of all music all genres everything!!

Excellent post Doc and I agree about Iron Man. The popularity, and what folks might refer to as the "burn out" factor, causes a lot of folks to lose appreciation for it. But we shouldn't. It's one of the greatest Heavy Metal songs of all time. And the most recognizable riff of all time!!!

Air Dance.... Just saying.
                                That's what I'm thinking \m/
                                Air Dance edges out Over To You

cant wait for the new Tony Martin Black Sabbath material \m/
                                Last edited by ronn; 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X