No announcement yet.

The listen!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To answer some thoughts and questions , though I picked MOR as chapter 7 of "the listen" part 2 over HEADLESS CROSS , does not mean at all its the better album , in fact for me they are dead even with there place in Sabbath lore.

.... as I had stated else where , people watching on these forums is rather perplexing , you would be surprised how "derailed" many can be when it comes to this legendary band .... most have a very small bandwidth of true appreciation for what there actually hearing.

Heaven n Hell , is the most important release in the Sabbath journey , that's without question ,,,, and Fused is the 3rd most outrageous release by this great band ,,,, and as much as you guys are enjoying these 2 Sabbath masterpieces , it's time to move on to MOR .... a monster of an album!

OK , to answer Ted D. question , MOR from bottom to top :

Weevil Woman , love to pieces!

8 - ORCHID , it may sit at number 8 , but it is treasured beyond words by the Doc , must remember that MOR sits with 4 others at the top of everything Sabbath has ever created (MOR , SABOTAGE , DEHUMANIZER , IOMMI , HEADLESS CROSS) .... so with that being said , number 8 on this beast , is a special place indeed.

7 - COTG , in many ways a Jesus track thro and thro , giving it a special place in my heart , Ozzy and Ward make this song a treasure ,,, and many know my thoughts , Iommi's solo is a "part one" to the solo found on SOTU ,,, a bunch of you have the version of COTG stripped of everything but the bass and drums , listening to that piece of music this way , is a perfect example of why Geezer and Bill are not only the best rhythm section in music , but shows how much they are not just a rhythm section at all.

6 - After Forever , the different time sections through out this great piece of music , really sets this track apart , and of course the lyrical content.

"Now this gets almost impossible to pick between"

5 - Into the Void , simply stated a masterpiece!

4 - Solitude , magic , pure magic.

3 - Embryo , second only to the unbeatable in every way "Scarlet Pimpernel" , embryo's second movement stimulates more emotion in me than any track on this release , the time length may be short , but that's the beauty of it!

2 - Sweet Leaf , brilliant , yes Dio Era does "the" best version , but the raw , pure energy of this studio take right here , is hard to compete with , amazing track perfectly placed.

1 - LOTW , one of Sabbath's finest moments anywhere .... the drums are a perfect example of why Bill was so important to this Era of music , only behind Iommi as the most important member of the first chapter of this band ,,,, and the vocals , my goodness , amazing!

"Peace out Girl scouts!"

Comment

• Into the void \m/

I'm starting master of reality tonight doc!

Comment

• http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...ality-19711125

Interesting read

Comment

• Originally posted by ronn View Post
          There is a legend that Lester Bangs had MOR spinning on the record player when he was found dead.
          You bought and sold me with your lying words.
          Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
            There is a legend that Lester Bangs had MOR spinning on the record player when he was found dead.
            Dare by Human League.
            gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

• On a different note, I've noticed that a few days ago there was 142 pages in this thread. Then it was 140, then 139, now there's 138. Has the thread gone on a diet?
              gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
                Dare by Human League.

Originally posted by ronn View Post
                Interesting read Ronnie boy!

Originally posted by ronn View Post
                Into the void \m/

I'm starting master of reality tonight doc!
                "Deathmask" is as good as it gets brother!

@Joe Siegler , great stuff!!

@Roller joint , great message , and one of your gems are about to go into rotation!!

@Eddie , new SC soundboard boot is in Roseland .... enjoy!!

@Ted , new Warning compilations "silver disc" in Roseland .... enjoy!!

@Lou , new Vinyl deluxe collections "Debut" , "Paranoid" , "MOR" in Verona .... enjoy!! ,, leave the "Past Lives" for Ronn , for when he gets back from Georgia.

@Mary , 5 "best" Sabbath track of all time:

1a - SOTU

1b - Kill in the Spirit World

2 - A National Acrobat

3 - Buried Alive

4 - Nightmare

***** Sabbath moment of the day runner up - Ozzy saying "a new belief" during Sweet Leaf , awesome!!

***** Sabbath moment of the day - 4 min 30 seconds in Sweet Leaf , when Ward switches to the closed hi hat leading up to the China Boy ,, so friggin tasty!!

God bless all , focus on the positive , don't let the "negative" drag you down , pray for them .... Peace!!

Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
                On a different note, I've noticed that a few days ago there was 142 pages in this thread. Then it was 140, then 139, now there's 138. Has the thread gone on a diet?
                Lol ,, no OID has , he don't love the Doc anymore .... too many calories

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                  .. too many calories
                  Oh shit! priceless

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                  ,, leave the "Past Lives" for Ronn , for when he gets back from Georgia.
                  Vinyl double set?, it's out already doc?, thank you \m/

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

"Deathmask" is as good as it gets brother!
                  ??

Comment

??
                    The intro to Into the Void. The original US pressing of MOR had a few 'subtitles' for certain tracks that were added by the record company. "Deathmask" is one such creation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
                      Dare by Human League.
                      Ahhh, thank you! Not sure where I heard it was MOR
                      You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                      Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

I would rather have thought this ^^^
                        Here's a read for you FanAtic
                        http://www.popmatters.com/column/int...nd-indie-rock/

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                        The intro to Into the Void. The original US pressing of MOR had a few 'subtitles' for certain tracks that were added by the record company. "Deathmask" is one such creation.
                        Wild stuff, thanks sweet
                        Why for more tracks?

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio
                        Doc count me in for November's donation to the forum, I'll let you know here when it's been sent.

All the people you have mentioned above are all men above men in the highest caliber that can exist in the Sabbath brotherhood.

Rollerjoint, SweetSymptom and Ronn especially.

Sabman Cometh, you are always a gentleman and the wise one and good friend.

Ronn my most esteemed Sabbath brother and friend, I appreciate everything you've done on the forums on my behalf, it speaks heaps of the person you are, a person that a man can only be so lucky to call friend and have as a friend, you Ronn I am proud to call friend and brother.

I've decided the best thing to do is to move on and let things be, just walk away if you will.

Again, thank you my most dearest Sabbath brother.
                        OzzyisDio slow down your going to be too skinny
                        anywho good luck bud
                        your still a good guy \m/

Comment

Wild stuff, thanks sweet
                          Why for more tracks?
                          I can only guess that it was instigated by the record company to keep MOR similar to the other albums (e.g. Behind the Wall of Sleep/Wasp, War Pigs/Luke's Wall etc). Might have also been a way to make the album seem longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                            I can only guess that it was instigated by the record company to keep MOR similar to the other albums (e.g. Behind the Wall of Sleep/Wasp, War Pigs/Luke's Wall etc). Might have also been a way to make the album seem longer.
                            This is correct.
                            2 other tracks were listed as follows:
                            > After Forever / The Elegy
                            > Children of the Grave / The Haunting

I believe most of these printed versions were released in the U.K.
                            and not in the U.S.
                            Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                              Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                              Originally posted by Typhon View Post
                              This is correct.
                              2 other tracks were listed as follows:
                              > After Forever / The Elegy
                              > Children of the Grave / The Haunting

I believe most of these printed versions were released in the U.K. and not in the U.S.
                              These titles were on the first US Warner Brothers pressing:

After Forever (Including The Elegy). The Elegy is the looped droning sound you hear clearly at the beginning of the track, but if you listen closely it continues through the entire length of the song, therefore unlike the other tracks, it is not a specific section of the song and the reason it is listed as "Including". Note the misspelling of Ioomi on this track only.

The Haunting is the bit at the end of Children of the Grave which was originally recorded separately with a working title of "Black Sabbath 'Live' in the Graveyard" written on the tape box. No idea if that was their's or the engineer's idea.

Step Up is the first 30 seconds (more like 27 secs) of Lord of This World.

Deathmask is the first 1 minute and 12 seconds of Into the Void. I guess Warner Brothers had no idea where one ended and the other began so they just split the length of the song in half and came up with 3:08 for each half.

I think, though I have no concrete proof, that these extra titles were for "parts" that Sabbath had written first before tying them together as songs. They may not have been the original working titles for those parts, but they were originally separate pieces of music. For that reason, I think the band (read: Geezer) supplied the names and not the record company.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the added titles had something to do with publishing, but I don't remember the source right now.

In response to the Doc's list above, if I were to rate these in order of preference, it would be something like this:

1. Deathmask / Into the Void
                              2. Embryo / Children of the Grave / The Haunting
                              3. Step Up / Lord of This World
                              4. Solitude
                              5. After Forever (Including The Elegy)
                              6. Sweet Leaf
                              7. Orchid
                              8. Weevil Woman

On some days 3 and 4 might switch, but the rest is pretty solid.

I've included Embryo as part of COTG because to me it is inseparable. Who knows, if it didn't have the different writing credit, it may just have been a part of COTG and we wouldn't even know the title. I think Orchid was intended to operate in the same way with LOTW, but because of it's length it feels like a complete piece and doesn't feel as connected. It could aslo be the way Embryo hangs at the end, it leads into COTG in a way that Orchid doesn't.

Comment

• Wow, "Step Up" was a new one on me. Thanks Roller.

Comment

Working...
                                X