• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Typhon View Post
    This is correct.
    2 other tracks were listed as follows:
    > After Forever / The Elegy
    > Children of the Grave / The Haunting

I believe most of these printed versions were released in the U.K.
    and not in the U.S.
    I've got a U.S. Copy.

My post from the "Collector's Corner" thread a couple of years back:

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Okay, here's another one from my collection, and it is a rare Master of Reality variant. Basically, a very first press, on the olive Warner Bros label, that had three extra songs listed on the labels, and these tracks were later removed from subsequent MOR pressings. The songs are listed on the Master recordings as well. This album is not in the condition that I like for my collection, but you take this one as it comes. So, please note the extra tracks on this LP: Deathmask, Step Up and The Haunting. Also, note the typo on the name of the album: "Master(s) of Reality". A great little item for any collector, and I hope to upgrade mine to a near mint copy if one ever shows up for sale. This is about a VG+ and a treasure to have.

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 04-01-2016, 01:54 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• Guess I wasn't paying attention... thanks NID

Comment

• I didn't know about "Step Up" either. Glad to hear new and interesting
        information on Sabbath. Thanks NID and Roller.
        Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by turch118 View Post
          Guess I wasn't paying attention... thanks NID
          Originally posted by Typhon View Post
          I didn't know about "Step Up" either. Glad to hear new and interesting
          information on Sabbath. Thanks NID and Roller.
          No worries guys. Notice the spelling of "Ioomi" under After Forever? It tends to suggest that they were playing around with the track listings and labels prior to release, as all the other tracks have his name spelled correctly. Also interesting is the fact that the labels with the extra tracks seem to have come from one specific pressing plant. I also have a white label promo of MOR, from a different plant, and it doesn't have the extra tracks listed, and we know that the white label promo is a very early pressing. This is just one of the many reasons I love records; there is always something interesting and rare to collect.

Comment

• Ioomi rhymes with "Doomy". Tony "doomy" Ioomi

Comment

• Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
              These titles were on the first US Warner Brothers pressing:

After Forever (Including The Elegy). The Elegy is the looped droning sound you hear clearly at the beginning of the track, but if you listen closely it continues through the entire length of the song, therefore unlike the other tracks, it is not a specific section of the song and the reason it is listed as "Including". Note the misspelling of Ioomi on this track only.

The Haunting is the bit at the end of Children of the Grave which was originally recorded separately with a working title of "Black Sabbath 'Live' in the Graveyard" written on the tape box. No idea if that was their's or the engineer's idea.

Step Up is the first 30 seconds (more like 27 secs) of Lord of This World.

Deathmask is the first 1 minute and 12 seconds of Into the Void. I guess Warner Brothers had no idea where one ended and the other began so they just split the length of the song in half and came up with 3:08 for each half.

I think, though I have no concrete proof, that these extra titles were for "parts" that Sabbath had written first before tying them together as songs. They may not have been the original working titles for those parts, but they were originally separate pieces of music. For that reason, I think the band (read: Geezer) supplied the names and not the record company.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the added titles had something to do with publishing, but I don't remember the source right now.

In response to the Doc's list above, if I were to rate these in order of preference, it would be something like this:

1. Deathmask / Into the Void
              2. Embryo / Children of the Grave / The Haunting
              3. Step Up / Lord of This World
              4. Solitude
              5. After Forever (Including The Elegy)
              6. Sweet Leaf
              7. Orchid
              8. Weevil Woman

On some days 3 and 4 might switch, but the rest is pretty solid.

I've included Embryo as part of COTG because to me it is inseparable. Who knows, if it didn't have the different writing credit, it may just have been a part of COTG and we wouldn't even know the title. I think Orchid was intended to operate in the same way with LOTW, but because of it's length it feels like a complete piece and doesn't feel as connected. It could aslo be the way Embryo hangs at the end, it leads into COTG in a way that Orchid doesn't.
              I did a thorough piece on this like 3,000 post back , well now maybe 2,500 post back ... some interesting points , "Deathmask" was suppose to stick much the same way "Bassically" and "Jack the Stripper" had over time ,, but due to "satanism imagery" , and the fact that MOR carried a "Christian" theme it was dropped along with "Step up" and "The Haunting" ,,,, "Elegy" on the other hand carried on a bit longer without the others (that would be a nice pick up NID).

.... another cool tid bit is the first of the 4 "sets" of music to be titled was "Step up" ,,, Turch , you were fascinated with this fact back in the day , so you were aware of this title brother.

.... Roller , I like your thoughts on "Embryo" and the hanging note , much like the "triangle" chime to connect Solitude with "Deathmask" .... as perfect of an intro Embryo is for COTG , it also sits perfectly alone as one of the most brilliantly haunting "classical" pieces of music in Sabbath's catalog.

... as for "Orchid" , if I remember correctly , it was written before LOTW as its own singular track.

God bless
              Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 04-01-2016, 08:32 PM. Reason: These were all titles of "movements" within the music

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                .... another cool tid bit is the first of the 4 "sets" of music to be titled was "Step up" ,,, Turch , you were fascinated with this fact back in the day , so you were aware of this title brother.

God bless
                Damn Doc you have a better memory than I do. I still don't recall that... gettin' old

Comment

• Originally posted by Rollerjoint
                  Thanks Doc for all those insights. Will have to go back and look for your old post.
                  Awesome post ,, yes correct along with Jam blocks and "reverse" splash cymbals ,,, After Forever is truly a fantastic piece of writing , in the first min and 58 seconds you have 4 "true" signature time changes ... "Elegy" is part of 2 of those movements .... Sabbath , Iommi in paticular , were very interested , during the Oz Era , and to a degree later as well ,, with signature movements within a composition of music ,, and through out , would title many of those movements just as some highly revered classical artist have ,,,, and YES as SWEET stated , Iommi has also suggested - it made the albums look longer with more tracks .... but , it was more a by-product of "song movements".

Basically (with N.I.B. from 'Black Sabbath')
                  Wasp (with Behind the Wall of Sleep from 'Black Sabbath')

Luke's Wall (with War Pigs from 'Paranoid')
                  Jack the Stripper (with Fairies Wear Boots from 'Paranoid')

The Elegy (with After Forever from 'Master of Reality')
                  The Haunting (with Children of the Grave from 'Master of Reality')
                  Step Up (with Lord of this World from 'Master of Reality')
                  Deathmask (with Into the Void from 'Master of Reality')

The Straightener (with Wheels of Confuison from 'Vol 4')
                  Every Day Comes & Goes (with Under the Sun from 'Vol 4')

You Think That I'm Crazy (w/Killing Yourself to Live from 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath')
                  I Don't Know if I'm Up or down (w/Killing Yourself to Live from 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath')
                  Prelude to a Project (with Spiral Architect from 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath')

.... and even more.

Great stuff for a great band!!
                  Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 04-15-2016, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

You Think That I'm Crazy (w/Killing Yourself to Live from 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath')
                    I Don't Know if I'm Up or down (w/Killing Yourself to Live from 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath')
                    Prelude to a Project (with Spiral Architect from 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath')
                    That's crazy awesome \m/

Comment

• 30 years ago tonight, I saw Sabbath for the first time. I remember seeing Ray Gillen and thinking "Wow, Glenn moves around pretty good for an old guy", and that Geoff's keyboards made it sound like I was at a hockey game, and not to mention that it was friggin' LOUD! Cheers!!
                      Last edited by Axe fiend; 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM.
                      We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

• Been faring rather well with my dad's passing lately - returning to work and my post in our student organization has kept me busy and helped my in not thinking about it all too much.

Dad's funeral will be this saturday, and now all the sadness and tears have been starting to creep back. Listening to Thin Lizzy at the moment in his memory, and tears are running as I'm typing this.

I'm supposed to perform a couple songs on the memorial service. Other one will be Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. As for the other song, I ended up with Dancing In The Moonlight since it was one Dad's ultimate favorites - and one of the only Lizzy songs that fit my vocal style.

I don't know how many times we jammed this tune in my childhood home's basement and gigs with my dad and cousins (my dad was a drummer). The things I'd do if I'd get to jam with him one last time...
                        "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

• Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                          Been faring rather well with my dad's passing lately - returning to work and my post in our student organization has kept me busy and helped my in not thinking about it all too much.

Dad's funeral will be this saturday, and now all the sadness and tears have been starting to creep back. Listening to Thin Lizzy at the moment in his memory, and tears are running as I'm typing this.

I'm supposed to perform a couple songs on the memorial service. Other one will be Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. As for the other song, I ended up with Dancing In The Moonlight since it was one Dad's ultimate favorites - and one of the only Lizzy songs that fit my vocal style.

I don't know how many times we jammed this tune in my childhood home's basement and gigs with my dad and cousins (my dad was a drummer). The things I'd do if I'd get to jam with him one last time...
                          Star, my sincere sympathies. My wife played Suspicious Minds by Elvis last week, in my music room. It was thumping away, and much to my surprise, I shed a few tears knowing how much my Mom loved Elvis. Just know that your love for Dad is real, and honour the memories. He knows that you miss him.

On another note, I'm just going to leave this here. I got it in grade 9. I'm 50 now. It's been with me a very long time, and it feels like yesterday that I got it. It scares me how fast time flies. As Geezer said, "We'll all be dead soon. Ha."

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 04-04-2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                            Been faring rather well with my dad's passing lately - returning to work and my post in our student organization has kept me busy and helped my in not thinking about it all too much.

Praying for you bud, sorry

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                            Star, my sincere sympathies. My wife played Suspicious Minds by Elvis last week, in my music room. It was thumping away, and much to my surprise, I shed a few tears knowing how much my Mom loved Elvis. Just know that your love for Dad is real, and honour the memories. He knows that you miss him.

On another note, I'm just going to leave this here. I got it in grade 9. I'm 50 now. It's been with me a very long time, and it feels like yesterday that I got it. It scares me how fast time flies. As Geezer said, "We'll all be dead soon. Ha."

NID \m/
                            Is that heavy?

Comment

• Originally posted by ronn View Post
                              NID \m/
                              Is that heavy?
                              It sure is. It's pretty darn cool ronn.

Comment

• Happy Birthday Doc \m/

Comment

Working...
                                X