The listen!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    ^^^^ Sweet "The Listen" Mod , love ya buddy!

Iommi is absolutely , utterly mesmerizing on every note I have ever heard the man play .... insanity to the highest degree of imperial "Six String" impeccability !! .... love it!
    You know it, Doc! Back at ya!

Have to agree with your assessment of Tony here. There's no one else like him, that has impact IMO.

Comment

• Doc, agreed-Tony is a truly unique talent.

Comment

• With countless versions of the Feb 74 Providence show .... and a few new additions from our brother Roller!! ,, All I can say is the first 7 minutes and 54 seconds of "Sabbra Cadabra" is absolutely , by far , the best version of this track anywhere in the world ,,, with Ozzy and Bill at an entirely different level altogether .... if you have not heard it , and you love the Oz Era .... find it!

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
        Funny - I was wondering if you were still around Doc!!! Hope you are well.
        Never leaving you buddy!! ,,,, the one time I went on hiatus , was simply because of silly negativity going on with the forums , and me wanting a different type of Sabbath world here at BSO .... yet , I was part of the problem - I became an arrogant prick , then a big pussy .... and then I was back!!

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
        You know it, Doc! Back at ya!

Have to agree with your assessment of Tony here. There's no one else like him, that has impact IMO.
        We couldn't run it without ya!!

Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
        Doc, agreed-Tony is a truly unique talent.
        Listen to the solo during "Damaged Soul" - rediculous!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
          We couldn't run it without ya!!
          An honour to be part of it, Doc!

Gonna have to check my versions of Providence '74 now!

Comment

• Never leaving you buddy!! ,,,, the one time I went on hiatus , was simply because of silly negativity going on with the forums , and me wanting a different type of Sabbath world here at BSO .... yet , I was part of the problem - I became an arrogant prick , then a big pussy .... and then I was back!!

^^^ You big puss Doc!

Comment

• I would like to add my story to the contest Doc. I've told this story before but couldn't find it.

I was 10 years old when S/T came out. I had older brothers and was exposed to Sabbath at an early age. After listening to Top 40 AM radio in the car I was intrigued with what these guys were doing, a real WTF moment. This was probably the first mainly "riff based" music I delved into and really dug that the bass and the drums were so out front in the recording. Early on my favorite song was probably Warning. I fell in love with the solo in the middle where the bass kinda carried the melody. I used to push the balance fully to one side and listen to the bass part alone. Man that was cool.

My brothers continued buying albums and my love for this band grew. Master of reality was another WTF moment. Starting with Tony's cough and the doomy sound of this album just blew me away. Probably why this is still my favorite Sabbath album to this day.

After several more albums (and 8-track tapes) it was 1975 and Sabbath was coming to MSG. My brothers were going and they told my mom they'd keep an eye on me. I WAS PSYCHED! So at 15 years old I'm riding the train from Bridgeport CT to NYC to see my first concert. As we made our way toward NYC more and more passengers would get on at every stop and it seemed like everyone was going to see Black Sabbath. After a while the cars were so crowded people were literally laying in the luggage racks. I felt bad for the conductor as he weaved his way through a pot smoke filled car trying to check tickets. Talk about a wild ride.

We arrived at Grand Central Station and it was a short walk to MSG. We got to MSG and outside was a guy literally being dragged in by two buddies because he was so wasted. Another WTF moment. We got to our seats and I was just in awe of the sights and sounds. This many people coming to see Black Sabbath? WOW!

Aerosmith was the opener and I was very familiar with them. So I thought this should be pretty cool. For some reason Joe Perry's guitar was turned WAY down to the point you could hardly hear it. I thought, wow, that sucked. I thought Sabbath has got to sound better than that. Between bands I hit the bathroom. As I walk in here's a guy hunched over swinging from side to side saying "pot, speed, ludes, acid". Selling out in the open like that? Another WTF moment. So I made my way back to my seat.

Then the lights went down again and the crowd erupted. I couldn't believe it, I was going to see my favorite band. And there they were on stage as I hooted and hollered and applauded. Holy shit they're playing Hole in the Sky and it sounded great... and LOUD! I was so mesmerized that I just sat and listened attentively and tapped my foot and nodded my head to each song as the night unfolded. Got a little scary when someone threw an M-80 from the upper deck down in our area, but that wasn't going to ruin my night. The set list was awesome with all albums being represented. One of the best nights of my life up to that point.

When the show was over I was still in awe over what I had just seen. Back then with no internet and no MTV it was rare to see your heroes in a live setting outside of Don Kirshners or Midnight Special. I had seen something totally amazing and I think about it often to this day. The train ride home was uneventful and as I climbed in bed the extreme ringing in my ears reminded me of the incredible night I just had.

Comment

• Originally posted by turch118 View Post
                I would like to add my story to the contest Doc. I've told this story before but couldn't find it.

I was 10 years old when S/T came out. I had older brothers and was exposed to Sabbath at an early age. After listening to Top 40 AM radio in the car I was intrigued with what these guys were doing, a real WTF moment. This was probably the first mainly "riff based" music I delved into and really dug that the bass and the drums were so out front in the recording. Early on my favorite song was probably Warning. I fell in love with the solo in the middle where the bass kinda carried the melody. I used to push the balance fully to one side and listen to the bass part alone. Man that was cool.

My brothers continued buying albums and my love for this band grew. Master of reality was another WTF moment. Starting with Tony's cough and the doomy sound of this album just blew me away. Probably why this is still my favorite Sabbath album to this day.

After several more albums (and 8-track tapes) it was 1975 and Sabbath was coming to MSG. My brothers were going and they told my mom they'd keep an eye on me. I WAS PSYCHED! So at 15 years old I'm riding the train from Bridgeport CT to NYC to see my first concert. As we made our way toward NYC more and more passengers would get on at every stop and it seemed like everyone was going to see Black Sabbath. After a while the cars were so crowded people were literally laying in the luggage racks. I felt bad for the conductor as he weaved his way through a pot smoke filled car trying to check tickets. Talk about a wild ride.

We arrived at Grand Central Station and it was a short walk to MSG. We got to MSG and outside was a guy literally being dragged in by two buddies because he was so wasted. Another WTF moment. We got to our seats and I was just in awe of the sights and sounds. This many people coming to see Black Sabbath? WOW!

Aerosmith was the opener and I was very familiar with them. So I thought this should be pretty cool. For some reason Joe Perry's guitar was turned WAY down to the point you could hardly hear it. I thought, wow, that sucked. I thought Sabbath has got to sound better than that. Between bands I hit the bathroom. As I walk in here's a guy hunched over swinging from side to side saying "pot, speed, ludes, acid". Selling out in the open like that? Another WTF moment. So I made my way back to my seat.

Then the lights went down again and the crowd erupted. I couldn't believe it, I was going to see my favorite band. And there they were on stage as I hooted and hollered and applauded. Holy shit they're playing Hole in the Sky and it sounded great... and LOUD! I was so mesmerized that I just sat and listened attentively and tapped my foot and nodded my head to each song as the night unfolded. Got a little scary when someone threw an M-80 from the upper deck down in our area, but that wasn't going to ruin my night. The set list was awesome with all albums being represented. One of the best nights of my life up to that point.

When the show was over I was still in awe over what I had just seen. Back then with no internet and no MTV it was rare to see your heroes in a live setting outside of Don Kirshners or Midnight Special. I had seen something totally amazing and I think about it often to this day. The train ride home was uneventful and as I climbed in bed the extreme ringing in my ears reminded me of the incredible night I just had.
                Wow!! .... What a great , great read!! ..... Story from start to finish kept me wanting to hear what came next ,,, Welcome to the games brother Turch! ,, #7 - now we just need 3 more!

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                  I believe the general consensus was that if/when keyboards occurred it was a member of the band doubling up.
                  thanks sweet \m/

Comment

• Originally posted by ronn View Post
                    thanks sweet \m/
                    All good Ronn!

Comment

• Hey, Doccie. Sent you a PM i'm hoping you'll answer soon.
                      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                      Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

• Billy , left you 2 messages in return ..... God Bless

Comment

• Doc left you a pm

Also

How many different versions of the 1974 California Jam are out there?
                          Last edited by ronn; 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronn View Post
                            Doc left you a pm

Also

How many different versions of the 1974 California Jam are out there?
                            Yes to your PM brother Ronn ..... In September / October when I'm around more.

Plenty of "versions" , but only 6 that show a true difference in quality and or what you hear in the music.

God Bless

Comment

• RE: Black Sabbath story poll.

Hey Doc, I've been giving this some thought lately, and frankly I just don't have anything to write that I feel is compelling or worth reading in this context. I think your idea is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing it move forward!

Oh, one other thing, you get the VynlSol's Internet Star of Achievement for using one of my favorite words: ultracrepidarian!
                              gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

• Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
                                RE: Black Sabbath story poll.

Hey Doc, I've been giving this some thought lately, and frankly I just don't have anything to write that I feel is compelling or worth reading in this context. I think your idea is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing it move forward!

Oh, one other thing, you get the VynlSol's Internet Star of Achievement for using one of my favorite words: ultracrepidarian!
                                Haha! Excellent , thank you ..... many a time I've erased that thought from a post , that one time it must of slipped on through , hope it was not too condescending

By the way ANY story by the Vyn Man is a worthy contender!! .... you should jump in the contest brother ....

I mean come on , forget about "ultracrepidarian" ,, greatest post ever still IS!! :

"Considering that Blow on a Jug includes only half of the band, it is clear that, whereas often dismissed as mere "studio noodling", Blow on a Jug serves to highlight just how incredibly talented Black Sabbath is.

In less than a minute, Ozzy and Bill create a sound-space that is at once both intimate and expansive. On its surface, the simplistic melody, stripped down instrumentation, and plaintive vocals recommend it for quick and easy categorization: "Aha, that's just some dudes messing about in the studio!" The more astute listener will be rewarded with so very much more…

"Blow on a jug," intones the vocalist. That masterpiece of wordsmithing is planted firmly in the musical ground, as if a banner which defies ignoring. Blow on a jug…reach beyond yourself, transcend the norm and self-actualize! The path to enlightenment lies this way, all you have to do is free your mind of the shackles that heretofore have been unseen, yet very real. You've thought yourself free? True freedom awaits...

"Everybody come on," sung with rousing emotion, serves as an invitation. An all-inclusive invitation; no one is excluded. The invitation, of course, is to blow on a jug.

"Be like me," he sings. The listener understands that he would not ask them to do something that he himself would not, in fact, do. Which as we all know by now, is blow on a jug.

"I want you to," cajoles the singer. He cares about you, he wants what is best and right for you, and makes his intention perfectly clear: he wants you to blow on a jug.

Finally, the assumption is made: with such a simple, easy, and positive activity who could possibly resist? "Everyone begin, blow on a jug." Ozzy and Bill know that you're smart, insightful, and want what is best for yourself, so rather than question whether or not you're going to blow on the jug, they are confident you made the right choice and provide you with a starting point. A beginning, if you will. Had Hollis Brown taken this good advice, it is certain he wouldn't have bought those seven shotgun shells. When is it time to blow on a jug? The time is now, my friend."

Great stuff ^^^^^

****** Side note Sabbath fans ,,,, if your ever curious how much more diverse Sabbath is over a Zep , a Deep , a Queen , a "anybody" .... go directly to the middle of Sabbath's 73 release ,, close your eyes ,, and LISTEN CLOSELY to what is happening within - "Sabbra Cadabra" and "Killing Yourself to Live" ..... brilliant.
                                Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM. Reason: God Bless

Comment

Working...
                                X