Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The listen!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    Seems like desperate measures, but some times it's got to be done
    Hahaha! Roller listening to Dio Sab ,, now I've seen everything!


    @Joe , what happen to your miscellaneous info page .... ie) - extra song titles , etc - I tried to guide a member to it today , but no such luck finding it.

    @OID , I see you found a "White Wizard" .... and tell Thelemech we say hi!

    @Sweet , TIME IS THE HEALER - listen to how great this track gets over time!


    God Bless

    Comment


    • Doc, hope you’re doing well brother and staying healthy, I know that your in contact with a lot of people being a Doctor, you’re on the front lines putting yourself at risk for the well being of others, a true soldier in God’s Army.

      God bless you Doc, and please give Ronn my best wishes and tell him I hope he is fine and both he and his family are safe and healthy.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

      Comment


      • Doc, I hope all is well. A heavy dose of Black Sabbath is an excellent way to take your mind off of the difficult and bizarre reality that we now face.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
          @Sweet , TIME IS THE HEALER - listen to how great this track gets over time!
          Very true Doc, that's been a special track for me ever since we finally got to hear it in 2004. But now, a decade and a half later it feels even better! Can I say that this one (like many others) 'feels good to me'?

          Cozy on 'Computer God' from the Dehumanizer rehearsals/demos, wow!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
            Doc, hope you’re doing well brother and staying healthy, I know that your in contact with a lot of people being a Doctor, you’re on the front lines putting yourself at risk for the well being of others, a true soldier in God’s Army.

            God bless you Doc, and please give Ronn my best wishes and tell him I hope he is fine and both he and his family are safe and healthy.
            YoY!! Stay healthy friend \m/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
              Also, what about this ad from the February 1st, 1969 Melody Maker for the Dave Robson Agency... representing Black Sabbath? Is this another band with that name or another possible early attempt at using the name?




              I have also seen 2 ads for a show at The Bay Hotel in Sunderland with Van der Graaf Generator and John Peel that is attributed to March 3, 1969. Both ads I have only seen on the internet not in the papers they came from, so I am a bit suspicious about that date and I have not included them here.

              So was the Pokey Hole truly the first show they played as Black Sabbath?

              Rollerjoint: Thanks for posting that Robson ad! I recently came across a different ad that had "Black Sabbath" listed and been working on this for the past week. I "finished" the video a few days ago, but then when researching the Bay Hotel gig (which I, too, find very suspicious as March 3), that's when I came across this post (I wish I had seen it earlier!!!). So, then I went to that Melody Maker issue and found that ad and inserted into my video because it further drives home my point. So, here is the updated video: https://youtu.be/x2USQxwdymo

              By the way, you said "not in the papers they came from." Do you know what newspapers they are supposedly from?

              Cheers,
              Nolan

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ronn View Post

                YoY!! Stay healthy friend \m/
                Ronn glad to see you’re alive and well brother may you and your family stay safe and healthy. (YoY)!!!!!
                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                Comment


                • I do not know what papers either one of these are supposedly from.

                  The first ad for this show I came across was here:

                  http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk/vdgglive.htm
                  http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.u...l030369_ad.jpg

                  At the time I accepted it, but my first doubts came when I looked a little harder at it and noticed that 'Black Sabbath' was typeset in a slightly different font. Of course it's possible to have more than one font used in an ad, the smaller text in the ad is in a different font, but all the other large lettering is done in one font (Bay Hotel, JOHN PEEL and VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR) but 'Black Sabbath' is in a slightly different one. the most obvious letter is the small 'a', but you can see the serifs on the capital 'B' are slightly different as well as the small 'l' and small 't'. I don't believe they would have done this. The fact that it is italicized could account for the slight differences in the serifs, but not in the small 'a'. I doubt they would have even had a font this similar with a different 'a' in the first place. Plus at the time I found this, fakes of all kinds of things were turning up all over the internet and ebay. That said,

                  Later I saw this one that did not include Black Sabbath in the image:



                  And then finally this one which was the full version:



                  The 2nd ad lists Episode Six and I may have even found it on a Deep Purple site. Checking DP sites may be fruitful, I found all of these many years ago and I don't believe I've done any digging on this in over a decade.

                  It was after seeing this second ad that I started to think maybe this show was real. Even later after that, I found the listing on the Marquee website that was only 10 days after this show, and finally found the monthly flyer for the Marquee with their name on it. So it, along with the Robeson ad, seems like it's possible that a) the band had attempted to start giging as Black Sabbath in Feb/Mar of 1969 and then decided against it, or b) there was another group briefly going by that name. I'm going with the former. I believe I have read Geezer talking about this, where he mentioned they attempted to change the name earlier than they eventually did and were disuaded from doing it by someone.

                  Looking forward to checking out your video!

                  Comment


                  • Rollerjoint you are a very smart Sabbath guy, this is all very interesting to read, how do you do it?

                    You’re like a Black Sabbath detective,
                    "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
                    ~ Ronnie James Dio

                    Comment


                    • Thanks Elves!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post
                        So, here is the updated video: https://youtu.be/x2USQxwdymo
                        Great video Nolan!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post


                          Rollerjoint: Thanks for posting that Robson ad! I recently came across a different ad that had "Black Sabbath" listed and been working on this for the past week. I "finished" the video a few days ago, but then when researching the Bay Hotel gig (which I, too, find very suspicious as March 3), that's when I came across this post (I wish I had seen it earlier!!!). So, then I went to that Melody Maker issue and found that ad and inserted into my video because it further drives home my point. So, here is the updated video: https://youtu.be/x2USQxwdymo

                          By the way, you said "not in the papers they came from." Do you know what newspapers they are supposedly from?

                          Cheers,
                          Nolan
                          Good work!! Love the Vid!


                          Rollerjoint , your a early Sab encyclopedia!


                          Fun read .... https://www.nme.com/news/music/black...wn-2644757?amp



                          HE IS RISEN!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Rollerjoint View Post
                            I do not know what papers either one of these are supposedly from.

                            The first ad for this show I came across was here:

                            http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk/vdgglive.htm
                            http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.u...l030369_ad.jpg

                            At the time I accepted it, but my first doubts came when I looked a little harder at it and noticed that 'Black Sabbath' was typeset in a slightly different font. Of course it's possible to have more than one font used in an ad, the smaller text in the ad is in a different font, but all the other large lettering is done in one font (Bay Hotel, JOHN PEEL and VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR) but 'Black Sabbath' is in a slightly different one. the most obvious letter is the small 'a', but you can see the serifs on the capital 'B' are slightly different as well as the small 'l' and small 't'. I don't believe they would have done this. The fact that it is italicized could account for the slight differences in the serifs, but not in the small 'a'. I doubt they would have even had a font this similar with a different 'a' in the first place. Plus at the time I found this, fakes of all kinds of things were turning up all over the internet and ebay. That said,

                            Later I saw this one that did not include Black Sabbath in the image:



                            And then finally this one which was the full version:



                            The 2nd ad lists Episode Six and I may have even found it on a Deep Purple site. Checking DP sites may be fruitful, I found all of these many years ago and I don't believe I've done any digging on this in over a decade.

                            It was after seeing this second ad that I started to think maybe this show was real. Even later after that, I found the listing on the Marquee website that was only 10 days after this show, and finally found the monthly flyer for the Marquee with their name on it. So it, along with the Robeson ad, seems like it's possible that a) the band had attempted to start giging as Black Sabbath in Feb/Mar of 1969 and then decided against it, or b) there was another group briefly going by that name. I'm going with the former. I believe I have read Geezer talking about this, where he mentioned they attempted to change the name earlier than they eventually did and were disuaded from doing it by someone.

                            Looking forward to checking out your video!
                            that looks absolutely amazing!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

                              Good work!! Love the Vid!


                              Rollerjoint , your a early Sab encyclopedia!


                              Fun read .... https://www.nme.com/news/music/black...wn-2644757?amp



                              HE IS RISEN!!
                              Blessed is he who believeth in the Lord thy God.
                              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

                                Ronn glad to see you’re alive and well brother may you and your family stay safe and healthy. (YoY)!!!!!
                                How have you been bud?
                                You got that Sabbath vinyl set you always wanted YoY

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X