• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 vs. The Devil You Know

Black Sabbath with Ozzy ... It doesn't get much better

66.67%
    The Devil You Know
    33.33%
    Last edited by thewizard; 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM.

As we say in Kentucky, this thread is "fixin' to get ugly!".

But.. 13
    www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

I don't feel that either album is flawless, but TDYK I feel is a stronger effort overall.
      The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Not even a contest. The music alone...Tony is in another universe. Rubin brought things out in him he hasn't messed with in DECADES. Outside of Bible Black and a few moments in tracks like Follow The Tears and Rock 'n' Roll Angel, I still find TDYK to be tired and incredibly generic. And +1,000 points for not hearing a single reference to spiders or black cats or whatever on 13.

Last but not least, Damaged Soul. That never, ever, ever would have happened with Heaven & Hell. Then again, that's one of many reasons that '13' is a Black Sabbath album.

So...13 it is.
        ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
          Not even a contest. The music alone...Tony is in another universe. Rubin brought things out in him he hasn't messed with in DECADES. Outside of Bible Black and a few moments in tracks like Follow The Tears and Rock 'n' Roll Angel, I still find TDYK to be tired and incredibly generic. And +1,000 points for not hearing a single reference to spiders or black cats or whatever on 13.

Last but not least, Damaged Soul. That never, ever, ever would have happened with Heaven & Hell. Then again, that's one of many reasons that '13' is a Black Sabbath album.

So...13 it is.
          Love and respect your opinion , but TDYK and 13 are both fantastic sabbath albums track for track , in fact just as you may not have gotten DAMAGE SOUL out of TDYK , all tho there jam session during the track heaven n hell live on this tour is a major jam in and of itself , there was no chance of hearing something as incredible in a different way like BREAKING INTO HEAVEN or BIBLE BLACK off of "13" ... I would probably choose 13 myself with some more time listening , but by a small margin , and not as of this moment...

Be well brother

Comment

I am starting to love 13 though I really love TDYK and am more familiar with it so I voted for Dio Sabbath. It maybe different in a few months the more I listen to 13 - we will see.
            Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

13, and I'm a Dio guy. TDYK is so boring.
              The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

13 all the way, found tdyk a bit depressing. Not in a connecting way either, may of been cause I was listening to it thinking this was ronnies last album.
                Wish tdyk would of been a uplifting, fast paced celebration of dio but obviously no one knew at the time it would be his last.
                Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

I love The Devil You Know, but I love 13 even more.
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

The Devil You Know.

Both albums are pretty conservative and I don't think either are as good as the classic albums by either line-up, but TDYK comes a lot closer. While TDYK isn't particularly adventurous, it doesn't feel like just a nostalgic trip down memory lane, which I think 13 does. I know Rubin wanted that early Sabbath sound, but to me it just sounds cynically calculated. The Devil You Know by a landslide.
                    http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Definitely 13, nothing against The Devil You Know (which is still awesome) but 13 is way more enjoyable to listen to. Not to mention unlike the TDYK, 13's songs all sound distinctly different. 13 surpassed any expectation I had on the idea of a reunion Sabbath album. Like I mentioned, TDYK is still a really good album but for me, it isn't nearly as good compared to the other Sabbath albums with Ronnie.
                      Last edited by Van Sabbath; 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I like TDYK, but it's not even my fav Dio era album. The thing is that none of the songs on that album stay in my head. I've listened to it so many times but it just never really sinks in the same way as the other Dio stuff.

That said I do like the album a lot, it was very dark and very well put together, it had this nice thematic and musical consistency. Also pretty much the best album artwork and packaging ever! At the time it blew other hard rock and metal releases out of the water! It just didn't compare as well to the other Dio era albums, which is a pretty tough act to top! TDYK was great for its time and I do not think it will be as timeless as Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules.

13 wins it because it is just as good as the best albums from the Ozzy years. 13 musically felt more pure and has so many songs that are of a timeless grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
                          The Devil You Know.

Both albums are pretty conservative and I don't think either are as good as the classic albums by either line-up, but TDYK comes a lot closer. While TDYK isn't particularly adventurous, it doesn't feel like just a nostalgic trip down memory lane, which I think 13 does. I know Rubin wanted that early Sabbath sound, but to me it just sounds cynically calculated. The Devil You Know by a landslide.

Well put..I tend to agree here. I think TDYK is maybe a little more honest.. There were no rules. Just write the best album you can; on 13 Rubin set a stage and a format for them to fit within so they're very different.

Dont get me wrong, I think 13 is a good album. But its strange, when I think about it I find issues with it. When I go back and listen to it there's a lot that I like about it. I think I need to live with it for a while longer. But TDYK minus songs like R&R Angel I just think it kicks tons of ass..
                          The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Definitely 13. I don't think it's a masterpiece like many on here, but it is quite good, while The Devil You was one of my most disappointing albums of all time, very boring.
                            Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

13 wins hands down. But TDYK I do like and got alot out of. Was worth the wait and money. Few points I'd like to make
                              TDYK as was later told that alot if the drums weren't Appice but a drum machine. Listening to TDYK before knowing that fact I said it felt like Vinny could have phoned that one in.
                              13 Brad Wilk fits in so nicely and the drums are amazing. They fit in the pocket of what Iommi & Geezer were doing. Then added some elements on top of that.

I really did like TDYK but my downfall with that album was to me it was the same flavor of Ice Cream the whole way through. Alot of people felt that way.

And I think we all agree the music video for GID is much better the BB.
                              Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X