No announcement yet.

Collector's Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a cool VIP package Spiral, although I can't help but feel that it is a bit tasteless to give away Tommy Clubfoot sticks knowing full well that Bill is not part of the reunion. Given the lack of interest that Sabbath generally takes in peripheral matters, I think its safe to say that there was no slight intended. Nonetheless, the optics......

Anyway, I framed up my Vancouver tour leaflet. Did it myself. $40 including the cross. $10 for the leaflet. I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vynlsol View Post
      That is pretty cool! Black Sabbath swag like sticks and picks is something I don't have at all.
      Thanks bud,
      I'm gonna see if charger wants to trade for Leo the cat
      Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
        Thanks bud,
        I'm gonna see if charger wants to trade for Leo the cat
        Oh no. No way. Leo's not for sale/trade or anything else!

Comment

• In addition to all the other music stuff I collect, I also collect authentic vintage concert shirts. On my list of Sabbath shirts that I would love to acquire is a Mob Rules Tour shirt and a Born Again Tour shirt, but for now, I recently picked this one up VERY cheaply, although it is more worn than I was led to believe. Still nice nonetheless:

Comment

• Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
            In addition to all the other music stuff I collect, I also collect authentic vintage concert shirts. On my list of Sabbath shirts that I would love to acquire is a Mob Rules Tour shirt and a Born Again Tour shirt, but for now, I recently picked this one up VERY cheaply, although it is more worn than I was led to believe. Still nice nonetheless:

That is nice, I had the Cross Purposes Tour T-shirt also, except mine was black on black with henry the devil on it.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• The framed Vancouver leaflet looks great!

Comment

• Originally posted by f2walsh View Post
                The framed Vancouver leaflet looks great!
                Thanks friend. It is a head turner in person. I love it, and it holds a place of honor in my music room, along with several other treasures from various bands.

Comment

• I was an avid record collector back in the eighties and early nineties but, as my record deck was retired to the loft (attic) about fifteen years ago, I've been gradually selling my vinyl on ebay over the last few years. I did have a lot of nice Sabbath and related (Ozzy, Dio etc.) items which included all the original UK vinyl albums up to Born Again (including an absolutely mint Master Of Reality with poster), Japanese pressings of all albums up to Born Again (before CD, this was the way to get the best sound quality), all UK singles (7" & 12") from the Dio era onward, the 1983 Worcester, MA triple radio transcription album (from which a number of bootlegs were sourced) and various singles from around the world. Probably the rarest Sabbath item I owned, though, was the Born Again album on 2 x 12" one sided acetates in absolutely mint condition.

Now a word of warning to all you vinyl collectors out there. Do you use PVC sleeves to protect your album covers? If so, know this. THEY CAN RUIN YOUR VINYL. Seriously - Google it. I know from personal experience. I used to keep all my records in PVC sleeves to preserve the artwork in mint condition (no shelf wear etc.) but when I started selling my records on ebay, I noticed that some had an odd wavy zebra pattern when I held them up to the light. I had bought many of them new so I couldn't figure out how this had happened. A little bit of internet research revealed that the PVC album sleeves can leach chemicals which react with the vinyl records and start to break it down. The effect is irreversible and the vinyl does not have to be in direct contact with the PVC sleeves. Fortunately for me, none of my most valuable records were affected and I have since binned all my PVC sleeves.

Comment

• hello my friend
                    in your collection of vinyl do you have the 3 vinyl lp set entitled Sabotaged from the venue Ashbury Park NJ 1975 if so would love to see the artwork

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRedPen View Post
                      I was an avid record collector back in the eighties and early nineties but, as my record deck was retired to the loft (attic) about fifteen years ago, I've been gradually selling my vinyl on ebay over the last few years. I did have a lot of nice Sabbath and related (Ozzy, Dio etc.) items which included all the original UK vinyl albums up to Born Again (including an absolutely mint Master Of Reality with poster), Japanese pressings of all albums up to Born Again (before CD, this was the way to get the best sound quality), all UK singles (7" & 12") from the Dio era onward, the 1983 Worcester, MA triple radio transcription album (from which a number of bootlegs were sourced) and various singles from around the world. Probably the rarest Sabbath item I owned, though, was the Born Again album on 2 x 12" one sided acetates in absolutely mint condition.

Now a word of warning to all you vinyl collectors out there. Do you use PVC sleeves to protect your album covers? If so, know this. THEY CAN RUIN YOUR VINYL. Seriously - Google it. I know from personal experience. I used to keep all my records in PVC sleeves to preserve the artwork in mint condition (no shelf wear etc.) but when I started selling my records on ebay, I noticed that some had an odd wavy zebra pattern when I held them up to the light. I had bought many of them new so I couldn't figure out how this had happened. A little bit of internet research revealed that the PVC album sleeves can leach chemicals which react with the vinyl records and start to break it down. The effect is irreversible and the vinyl does not have to be in direct contact with the PVC sleeves. Fortunately for me, none of my most valuable records were affected and I have since binned all my PVC sleeves.
                      Interesting info!!Thanks for sharing. I wonder what the alternative to PVC sleeves is? @ NID, great work on the framing!!Pure class!! I wear all my concert t's I probably have over 40 at this point. I noticed that not putting them in the dryer keeps them looking fresh.
                      Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

• Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                        Interesting info!!Thanks for sharing. I wonder what the alternative to PVC sleeves is? @ NID, great work on the framing!!Pure class!! I wear all my concert t's I probably have over 40 at this point. I noticed that not putting them in the dryer keeps them looking fresh.
                        Thanks man. I appreciate the compliment on my framing. Good tip on the concert tee preservation! My personal experience with PVC sleeves is that if you use an alcohol based record cleaner, and don't let it dry fully, a reaction can be triggered. I find that the PVC sleeves are fine otherwise.

Comment

• Hi NID. I never used record cleaning fluid, only a carbon fibre brush. I should point out that this effect took 25 to 30 years to reveal itself, so it's a slow process. What made it obvious to me that it was the PVC sleeves that were responsible was what happened to (a number of) my 12" singles and the unusual way I stored them. As well as PVC sleeves to protect the covers, I also protected the vinyl in Poly-Lined (anti-static) inner sleeves. These would not fit inside most 12" single covers so I would put the record (in it's Poly-Lined inner sleeve) alongside the 12" cover inside the PVC sleeve. I found that most of those affected were only affected on one side - the side closest to the PVC sleeve. The side which had the extra "protective" layer of the 12" single cover was usually unaffected.

It's great that your vinyl is fine but be aware that I'm not making this stuff up. There is a great Record Collector article about this somewhere on the internet (shouldn't be too hard to find) and I believe there are alternatives to PVC sleeves.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRedPen View Post
                            It's great that your vinyl is fine but be aware that I'm not making this stuff up. There is a great Record Collector article about this somewhere on the internet (shouldn't be too hard to find) and I believe there are alternatives to PVC sleeves.
                            I don't think anyone feels your making anything up PVC leaching has been a known issue for years, it just takes so long to be noticeable that I think most folks don't pay attention or concern themselves with it. But it is certainly real! As for myself, I use mylar sleeves (and clean my disks on a VPI Typhoon using MoFi fluid).
                            gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

• Just posting some pics for Ozzyironman re: my early Ozzy era first pressings on the olive green Warner label. These are all "first" pressings. They are all in near mint condition, except for one. Some are in their 45 year old shrink wrap still, and that makes them look worn in the photos, but they are not. They are all top copies. The white label MOR is a white label promo copy, as I discussed in my PM to you. Note the poster. My green label MOR is not near mint, and is about a VG+, but it has the "track listing anomaly" that I referred to. Hope these pics help.

Here's my full Martin collection too:

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 01-12-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Great thread this. Looking forward to adding stuff to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X