Collector's Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collector's Corner

I wanted to start a thread for collectors and aspiring collectors, and after bouncing the idea off a few people, it seemed like a good idea to start today. I am a long time music collector. I collect because I love the music, and I collect for investment. In some recent discussions on BSO, I was surprised to hear that some of the basic principles of investment collecting were not known by people who spent a great deal of time and money tracking down obscure items for their Sabbath collections. Let me say that investment collecting is not for everyone, and I get that; some people just want the music, and that is just fine. Others, like me, want the music, and want to preserve the value in the physical media, as many items go up in value over time. Some become astronomical in value; others not as much. If we had a crystal ball, we would know which items to look after, but unfortunately, we don't. I have singular items in my collection that are worth over $1000, although when I bought them they were still relatively affordable. They have appreciated in value, and have been preserved as investment pieces in my collection. They do not get dragged around in the car, or left on the floor for people to step on. They are kept in a climate controlled environment in individual protective sleeves, in a smoke free house. Ironically, I also have items that have soared in value and later plummeted to embarrassing lows; I should have sold them when I had the chance, but now I am stuck with them. Like the stock market, collecting can be a serious business.

Some basic rules for collecting:

1) Keep your items as mint as possible
    2) Buy the right artist
    3) Scarcity attracts value
    4) Originality attracts value

Simple right? Not as simple as you would think. For example, keeping original labeling and stickers is critical to preserving investment value. Most people throw this stuff away, and that creates scarcity and value for those who kept their items original. You can do what you want with your stickers and labels, but preserving collector value requires that you keep them in tact. If you must remove shrink wrap labels, etc, don't throw them out, keep them in the jewel case; they still have value. Here is how I preserve my Deluxe Editions, which I still listen to regularly. They are basically unaltered; the sticker has been cut on the end and left in tact. Everything in my library is stored in ultra clear mylar sleeves; if this interests you, check out Bags Unlimited on line:

Here are a couple of examples of how stickers can increase value, if you happen to be collecting a desirable artist:

http://www.popsike.com/SEALED-BEATLE...364723014.html

http://www.popsike.com/BEATLES-SUPER...224765458.html

http://www.popsike.com/LED-ZEPPELIN-...299282320.html

Investing in the odd item and leaving it unopened (an example would be the "13" Deluxe Box) can also prove lucrative. Here's a Beatles set that is worth about $200-$300 in very good plus (VG+) condition today, once opened. Now, just imagine that you bought one in 1970, for $20, and never opened it. It would be worth over $10,000 today. As for the new Sabbath album, "13", one of the most affordable investments would be the 8 track regular CD. Fewer were pressed; fewer were sold; and that means future scarcity and desirability.

http://www.popsike.com/BEATLES-LET-I...383734762.html

Anyway, enough of the pre-amble, I have been collecting for about 40 years, and Black Sabbath are part of my library. I am a big vinyl collector, but I have every form of media in my collection. I wanted to share some "promo" LP's, and the next time I'll post something else. I don't have a lot of promos in my Sabbath collection, but here is one:

1) Master of Reality: A true "white label promo". In the early 1970's, record company's released white label promos, which had a similar label as the commercially available copy (in this case, solid olive green), except that it was white. By the mid to late 1970's this practice had been replaced by issuing promo records with a commercially available disc, and a promo stamp on the cover. White label promos are quite collectible. Mine is still in its 40+ year old original shrink wrap:

And, the rare, full sized poster:

I wanted to show a few more goodies, but I'll have to do that in another post as there is a maximum of 5 pictures allowed per post. I am convinced that people are born with the collecting gene, or not, and "neither the twain shall meet". So, if you have the gene, please share your collections and the items that you are proud of. Let's talk collecting and see where it goes. For many, loving Sabbath, and collecting Sabbath, go hand in hand. Whatcha got in your library?
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

I collect CDs and Blu ray's and things of that nature but I don't adhere to any strict guidelines or anything when collecting them.
    Iommi = Sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
      I collect CDs and Blu ray's and things of that nature but I don't adhere to any strict guidelines or anything when collecting them.
      Cool. So, what are you proudest of? There must be that special item that you can't live without, or searched the ends of the earth for. All collectors have a say in this thread. Its all about sharing and camaraderie.
      Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

One I can think of (non-Sabbath related though) is my DVD of Ed and His Dead Mother, an early nineties black comedy starring Steve Buscemi, hilarious! As far Sabbath goes I would say the Tony Martin era stuff hits a soft spot, mainly because it was a lot more expensive and was harder to acquire.
        Iommi = Sabbath

Comment

Your poster is in MINT condition now in darkness, I know the vertigo first press mor complete with poster is the rarest out the original 8 to come across,
          I nearly bout the evil woman single on the Fontana label for 90 quid of e-bay, wish I had looking back now.
          My old man has a fair collection of original sabbath vinyl going on and I've got all the deluxe, box sets etc on cd(apart from that black box one).
          I have a bad habit of not putting the disks straight back into the cases if I'm having a music night though

Edit - all ozzy era only I mean.
          Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
            Your poster is in MINT condition now in darkness, I know the vertigo first press mor complete with poster is the rarest out the original 8 to come across,
            I nearly bout the evil woman single on the Fontana label for 90 quid of e-bay, wish I had looking back now.
            My old man has a fair collection of original sabbath vinyl going on and I've got all the deluxe, box sets etc on cd(apart from that black box one).
            I have a bad habit of not putting the disks straight back into the cases if I'm having a music night though

Edit - all ozzy era only I mean.
            Cool. Let's see the goods.

A couple more promos of mine:

This is the real rare part. Very few of these survived, but it is a press release that came with the album in 1981, explaining that Bill Ward was now gone, etc.

Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-04-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

This isn't much of a collector's item (or maybe it is). I got these two picks at the very last H&H concert at HOB Atlantic City August 2009. Being it was the last concert of the tour the band grabbed anything they could after the last song and threw it out into the audience. Tony had a few bags of picks, Vinnie had a ton of drumsticks. Dio got a bouquet of flowers from someone. Tony mentioned in his book that HOB was kind of an odd place to end the tour because it was so small. (It definitely was not as loud as the outside Baltimore show two weeks earlier.) The young band Halestorm opened the HOB show and the singer (Lizzy Hale) mentioned what a thrill it was to open for H&H and she sported a "Dio" t-shirt.

I noticed that Tony massaged his right hand (and grimaced) a few times during the show. His hand must have really been hurting badly.

They were having a good time during the last few songs. Looked like friends and family were on stage left and right and Tony looked over to them with a big smile. Dio brought the keyboardist out after the show for a round of applause, as well.

Last edited by ice_9; 07-04-2013, 07:23 PM.
              Get yourself afraid, Get yourself alone, Get yourself contained, Get yourself control - Soundgarden

Comment

Originally posted by ice_9 View Post
                This isn't much of a collector's item (or maybe it is). I got these two picks at the very last H&H concert at HOB Atlantic City August 2009. Being it was the last concert of the tour the band grabbed anything they could after the last song and threw it out into the audience. Tony had a few bags of picks, Vinnie had a ton of drumsticks. Dio got a bouquet of flowers from someone. Tony mentioned in his book that HOB was kind of an odd place to end the tour because it was so small. (It definitely was not as loud as the outside Baltimore show two weeks earlier.) The young band Halestorm opened the HOB show and the singer (Lizzy Hale) mentioned what a thrill it was to open for H&H and she sported a "Dio" t-shirt.

I noticed that Tony massaged his right hand (and grimaced) a few times during the show. His hand must have really been hurting badly.

They were having a good time during the last few songs. Looked like friends and family were on stage left and right and Tony looked over to them with a big smile. Dio brought the keyboardist out after the show for a round of applause, as well.

Very nice. I've seen picks like that set into a recessed mat below a framed picture (Iommi) or an album cover. Very effective and a great way to preserve them. How many people can say they got those from the man himself?
                Last edited by Now in Darkness; 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I used to collect bootlegs and stuff but it's stopped almost completely now since I want to focus on supporting new artists as much as possible (I figure it is my duty if I want to continue to whine about the current state of the music business that I at least try to better the situation). I don't know what my rarest or most interesting find is but I probably would say that the 1983 '12 Promo single of "Thrashed" and "Zero the Hero (radio edit)" must be one of those. I have "TV Crimes" as well but that one's not as rare. Other than that there are some cool bootlegs, most interesting would be the "Live in Paris" bootleg on LP (surprisingly hard to find on vinyl) along with "Bitch" (live in Stockholm 1983, second show of first leg of Born Again tour, 2LP mono recording, they play the whole Born Again album minus Thrashed) and "Amorous Circle" (2LP live in 1982). Those were the most expensive at least I guess. My first press of "Paranoid" (with the "Big Bear" credits that everyone talks so much about, supposedly those are a sign that it is first press since they were edited out on the later ones) could have been worth something if it wasn't for the fact that it's a German press and missing the original Vertigo Swirl inner sleeve. Could take some pictures if you guys want to see them :D
                  "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
                  -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
                  - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
                  http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

This is the last of my Sabbath promo discs. Ho hum........

Comment

This is one of the most quirky sabbath things I own dan, have you got this?

Comment

This is one of the most quirky sabbath things I own dan, have you got this?

Wow, that's really cool Spiral. Thanks for posting that. Tell us more. No, I don't have it; in fact, I have very little in my Sabbath collections, and what I do have consists primarily of rare LP pressing, such as the promos. More info please!

Comment

It was the other part of the cd miniatures replicas box sets I've got,
                          Came with a poster of all the single images from around the world on too,
                          Here's the other side of the singles

Edit - tilt your head lol

Also noticed your deluxe editions are different from ours, ours come in plastic sleeve not a sticker,

Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Very cool Spiral, my Paranoid the Doc gave me has a plastic slip cover over it.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Also noticed your deluxe editions are different from ours, ours come in plastic sleeve not a sticker,

Yes, that is interesting. Our deluxes come with a cheapo cling decal, but what is more interesting is that "ours" are "yours". "Ours" are all UK imports, so they have to be a more recent press run in which they tried to save 20 cents a unit on the deluxe packaging. The early one that you have is nicer.

Comment

Working...
                              X