Black Sabbath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oh lord yeah! View Post
    it seems your more metal with metallica,slayer,maiden etc and im more late 60s and 70s rock. my fav bands after sabbath are zep,purple,stones,the who,jefferson airplane,the dead,the doors,lynyrd skynyrd just to name a few. love metallica though i must admit.
    Love all of the above bands you listed, except the Grateful Dead, only song I really like from them is Touch Of Grey, I have the cassette Eyes In The Dark, the rest of their stuff I can't get into, kind of boring.

@ OIM, I didn't mention Ozzy or DIO , because I consider them solo artists not actual bands, but you know I love Ozzy and DIO without mentioning them.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

My five fav
      Black Sabbath
      Led Zeppelin
      Metallica
      AC/DC
      Jethro Tull
      Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Sabbath has been number 1 in my book for many (many) moons. The rest are just an ever-shifting list of bands.

Priest, Motorhead (love me some Motorhead), BoC, Zeppelin, Slayer, Accept are some bands I enjoy that have put out more than a few records.

Frankly, there isn't a whole lot out there that I can't find something to like about. Sometimes its Grieg, maybe some Simple Minds, or even the Troggs. I've even been known to crank "Lest We Forget" by MM, and all kindsa rockabilly. Don't much care for country-pop or whatever is masquerading as country music these days - but I love old country music like Ray Price, Hank Thompson, etc.

Never thought I'd type Hank Thompson on a Black Sabbath forum, but there it is lol.

It all points back to Black Sabbath, though
        gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

Black Sabbath! (THE BEST!!!!!!! Iommi Rules!)

and then there is:

Alice Cooper ( I love the Coop)
          Fear Factory
          Motorhead
          Testament
          The Misfits (The best fuckin' Punk band ever!)
          Rob Zombie

Ozzy's earlier solo work floats in and out around this list.
          Last edited by Hot line; 09-25-2014, 10:47 PM.
          "Nobody will ever let you know when you ask the reasons why.
          They just tell you that you're on your own, fill your head all full of lies."

Comment

I cant have a top five without having a top six

Black Sabbath
            Judas Priest
            Accept
            Metallica
            Megadeth
            Iron Maiden

Depending on mood I enjoy them all as much as each other, there is a bunch of other bands I love also but those six will always be my definitive favourite six bands of all time, but of coarse when it's all said and done Sabbath is and will always be the greatest of them all.

Comment

I'm fortunate I guess because I have a handful of bands/artists that have that effect on me ( akin to what OID described in the original post)

1970's Black Sabbath
              The Blizzard Of Ozz and classic Ozzy solo albums
              David Bowie
              Pink Floyd
              Led Zeppelin
              The Alice Cooper Group

probably some others too, like GWAR

Comment

Black Sabbath
                Bowie
                Misfits/Samhain/Danzig
                Motorhead
                Judas Priest
                Iggy Pop
                Anything Ronnie James Dio
                The Damned
                Tha Coop
                Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
                Hawkwind
                Iron Maiden
                Ministry
                There are so many more, The only one that is solid in one spot is Sabbath at the top and THE BEATLES are the Alphabet that I spelled those words above with.
                Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                  My five fav
                  Black Sabbath
                  Led Zeppelin
                  Metallica
                  AC/DC
                  Jethro Tull
                  love jethro tull

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                    Black Sabbath
                    Bowie
                    Misfits/Samhain/Danzig
                    Motorhead
                    Judas Priest
                    Iggy Pop
                    Anything Ronnie James Dio
                    The Damned
                    Tha Coop
                    Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
                    Hawkwind
                    Iron Maiden
                    Ministry
                    There are so many more, The only one that is solid in one spot is Sabbath at the top and THE BEATLES are the Alphabet that I spelled those words above with.
                    hawkwind are another band i love.

Comment

Can only really list my top 3,
                      1- black sabbath ( ozz era)
                      2- marilyn Manson
                      3- ozzy

^^^ unless some incredible new band comes along, nothing and I mean NOTHING is gonna change that order for me.
                      Then I got a pool of favourite bands but I can't number them in order cause it really does depend on my mood which one I prefer,
                      Slipknot, queen, offspring,system of a down,combichrist,rob zombie,coal chamber,ghost,sepultura,nine inch nails,godhead,disturbed,black sabbath(dio era),prodigy,radiohead, ac/dc ,Dr dre,backstreet boys and n-dubz
                      Then I got the bands I maybe only like a few of their albums or songs, and this pretty much spans a hell of a lot of rock bands tbh.
                      Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 09-28-2014, 03:30 PM. Reason: Forgot offspring lol
                      Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Sabbath is home base, for sure. But I also feel that way equally for the Beatles. I used to feel that way about Led Zeppelin, but in all honesty Led Zeppelin's shelf life, though long, does come with an expiration date. Still, the three bands form a sort of Holy Trinity. I am sorry I didn't mention Rainbow, but when I think of Black Sabbath I think of the entire family tree...so you throw in Rainbow, Deep Purple, Dio, Ozzy...all of it. It's all one big family tree to me. (But not Whitesnake.)

Underneath that capstone come lesser bands....Metallica, Slayer, Pre-Arm Def Leppard...silly but fun bands ...Motley Crue, Guns N Roses...chick bands get their own category...Heart, Blondie, Runaways family tree..then bands that never quite lived up to their debut or hype...Ratt, Twisted Sister, WASP.

I know I'm supposed to like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, but they are just "Hit" bands for me, I'm sorry.

Comment

What is Black Sabbath to the many people that post on here?

Is Sabbath just a name or is it meaningful? Like is it Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward in the stronger sense?

If anyone would like to elaborate, it would be interesting to read.
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                          ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                            What is Black Sabbath to the many people that post on here?

Is Sabbath just a name or is it meaningful? Like is it Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward in the stronger sense?

If anyone would like to elaborate, it would be interesting to read.
                            Black Sabbath is, to me, a massive collection of ideas bookended by the two words, Black And Sabbath. In between these words we have a full spectrum of ideas reflective of both concepts, both together and separate.

From the Pagan, Witchy motifs of the first couple of albums to the Doom and drugs of the 3rd and 4th to the Transcendent Heights of SBS and Sabotage to the reflective and mundane (I use that word illustratively, not as a judgment of the material) of TE and NSD to the High Fantasy of HH to the Swords and Sorcery of The Mob Rules to the Industrial grind and modernism of Dehumanizer, the religious overtones of Cross Purposes and the encroaching Darkness and paranoia of TDYK and the High Philosophy of 13.

I did not mention Born Again, 7th Star, or the Martin albums except for Cross Purposes.

Why?

It takes two to Black Sabbath properly. Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. These two together elevated Tony Martin's vocals to something better on the strength of the material.

Iommi, alone, makes some bad choices. His obsession with persuing bland or Gillan Clone singers and tendency to persue a more Whitesnakian sound does serious damage to his otherwise quality riffing and composing. Also, I believe he undervalues himself as a guitarist. I find him frequently burying himself in the mix but with GB he seems more confident and together they shine and make something magical.

GB alone is too far out there and makes bland singer choices too. The simplicity of Tony reigns in GB's lyrics and they meet in the middle, creating something more universally accessible.

I like Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, TYR and I've even found stuff to like on Forbidden, but they are, to me a bit of an appendix to the catalogue.

As for Born Again, with 3 original members, it qualifies by my own definition, but I just can't find the Sabbath in it. Zero the Hero and I'm out. The rest is Dark Purple.

The name is meaningful, it says something about those who listen: We are not satisfied with the mainstream. We are not followers to be led blindly, but we are seekers, we feel and we are called to worship. The truth is not love and peace and unicorns but it is laden with deceptions, missteps, traps and sorrow. Those who truly seek it will be carrying their crosses and shouting Why hast thou forsaken me?

That is what Black Sabbath means to me.

Comment

Really had to give this some thought:

1. Black Sabbath (All Eras)
                              2. Kansas
                              3. Metallica
                              4. Alice in Chains
                              5. Led Zeppelin

Then a lot of songs from many different bands. Pretty much where I stand.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                                All the Dio and Ozzy bashing that has occurred on this forum, all the non acceptance of the Gillan, Hughes and Martin eras, it won't be me to taint the Sabbath name.

I know this is just a forum and nothing else, but wouldn't it be better to respect each others preferences ?

Black Sabbath is my favorite band, it is more than a band to me, it's something I love, cherish and respect.

Well Said I agree completely with you on this!
                                www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

Working...
                                X