Black Sabbath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Sabbath

I thought I'd mention this, This week on my long drives to work I've been listening to other bands other than Sabbath. Judas Priest which I really enjoyed, Ripper Owens one of the few times I've heard him did a pretty good job in Priest and the music remained heavy if not heavier than with Halford, but no one can replace Halford. Also listened to some Zeppelin which I like very much.

I've come to the conclusion, that nothing does it for me other than Sabbath, Sabbath is the only worth while and only music that I truly enjoy and feel good when I listen to it, I get almost a homesick feeling when I go awhile without listening to Sabbath.

Does anyone else here feel the same?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I thought I'd mention this, This week on my long drives to work I've been listening to other bands other than Sabbath. Judas Priest which I really enjoyed, Ripper Owens one of the few times I've heard him did a pretty good job in Priest and the music remained heavy if not heavier than with Halford, but no one can replace Halford. Also listened to some Zeppelin which I like very much.

I've come to the conclusion, that nothing does it for me other than Sabbath, Sabbath is the only worth while and only music that I truly enjoy and feel good when I listen to it, I get almost a homesick feeling when I go awhile without listening to Sabbath.

For me it changes. Right now Sabbath are number 1, but a year ago it was Pink Floyd, and a year before that it was Led Zeppelin. I used to try and name a favorite band, and then never allow myself to deviate out of loyalty, but now I let a natural succession take place in terms of who sits at number one. I find this works for me, and the rotation takes a very natural course. Zeppelin has been climbing the ladder again lately, but Sabbath are still holding number one. In general, I love all of my favorite bands with equal passion, but the number one spot changes occasionally. My favorites are all so good that it really comes down to splitting hairs as to whether any band is actually better than another; usually it comes down to what flavor appeals to me more at any given moment.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

100% understand!! Yes, I feel the same way. When you said "homesick" that was the line that I went "Yeap" At work other people can hear my music so sometimes I am like "well.... imma play something different." But it just doesn't do it for me. Usually I put my IPod on random. Just yesterday I was thinking something similar to your post cause LONER came on my Ipod. Like I said I had it on random. All of a sudden my foot is tapping. I got that little bounce. Then I thought to myself.. "Wow, it's been almost 3 months and this is still all I really wanna listen to."

Great timing on your post as it comes to me. I feel ya.

It's like you are listening to something other than Sabbath because you feel like you should. Not because you want to.
      www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
        For me it changes. Right now Sabbath are number 1, but a year ago it was Pink Floyd, and a year before that it was Led Zeppelin. I used to try and name a favorite band, and then never allow myself to deviate out of loyalty, but now I let a natural succession take place in terms of who sits at number one. I find this works for me, and the rotation takes a very natural course. Zeppelin has been climbing the ladder again lately, but Sabbath are still holding number one. In general, I love all of my favorite bands with equal passion, but the number one spot changes occasionally.
        For me it is only Sabbath NID, I do listen to other bands here and there, but for me it has to be Sabbath, whether it is with Ozzy or Dio.

It is like a life long love affair with Sabbath.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

For me it is only Sabbath NID, I do listen to other bands here and there, but for me it has to be Sabbath, whether it is with Ozzy or Dio.

It is like a life long love affair with Sabbath.
          Ya, I get that. I used to be that way about Zeppelin for about 20 years. Now I just try to enjoy what I enjoy, if that makes any sense. In that regard, Sabbath sits at number 1 today, but I would anticipate that this will change again in the future, but I still love them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
            Ya, I get that. I used to be that way about Zeppelin for about 20 years. Now I just try to enjoy what I enjoy, if that makes any sense. In that regard, Sabbath sits at number 1 today, but I would anticipate that this will change again in the future, but I still love them all.
            I hear ya NID, it's all good.

Comment

I hear ya NID, it's all good.
              I can't see Sabbath getting displaced anytime soon. I am really enjoying the various aspects of their catalogue, and the various eras.....and I am trying to round up some of the vinyl albums that I haven't go in my collection yet, and that always keeps me engaged. Sabbath brother!

Comment

I'm more on the train with OID. I'm 33 now. Since I was about 11 or 12 years old its been all OZZY all the time for me. Solo or Sabbath, it didn't matter as long as Ozzy was on it. I have a personal connection that I can't explain.

Doesn't mean I don't love other artist. I listen to all styles of music. But Listening to Ozzy's voice is like coming home for me.
                www.downtrendmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by axeman_12656 View Post
                  I'm more on the train with OID. I'm 33 now. Since I was about 11 or 12 years old its been all OZZY all the time for me. Solo or Sabbath, it didn't matter as long as Ozzy was on it. I have a personal connection that I can't explain.

Doesn't mean I don't love other artist. I listen to all styles of music. But Listening to Ozzy's voice is like coming home for me.
                  Axeman it has always been this way for me, I'm 43 yrs old and since discovering Sabbath through Ozzy solo, they have been my passion since I was 16.

I listen to other artists as well, but I have to get my fix of Sabbath and most of the time it is only Sabbath, to the point where my girl says don't you get tired of listening to the same thing over and over again? And I say no, is there anything else to listen to? and she shakes here head and walks away, lol.

Comment

Axeman it has always been this way for me, I'm 43 yrs old and since discovering Sabbath through Ozzy solo, they have been my passion since I was 16.

I listen to other artists as well, but I have to get my fix of Sabbath and most of the time it is only Sabbath, to the point where my girl says don't you get tired of listening to the same thing over and over again? And I say no, is there anything else to listen to? and she shakes here head and walks away, lol.
                    Haha. My wife got mad at me 2 weeks ago for listening to Tyr three times in a row while we were making preserves in the kitchen all day.....and, I mean really annoyed. Party pooper!

I also played In Through the Out Door, so its not like there wasn't some variety.

Comment

Sabbath has been my favorite band since I was 6 years old. I never go more than a day or two without listening to Sabbath. Or at least some Ozzy solo stuff. No other band have I been as loyal to.
                      Life Member of the NRA

Comment

I dont really pick a #1 band per sey. I go through extreme phases where I'll dig deep into a bands catalogue for a month or so. However it always seems to happen that what I bounce back into between these binges is Sabbath. I usually have my mp3 player loaded with a lot of diverse variety. I might have a series of Orchestral Film soundtracks, some power pop, 70's prog, 90's electronic or some oddball 80's New wave band, some Jazz, some death metal, thrash, alternative & punk. I like to mix it up a lot. These selection all change based on my mood, but what never seems to change is I ALWAYS have the 1st 8 Sabbath albums on there ( & some Dio as well) to play at a moments notice. That never seems to change.
                        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I know that feel. Years ago when I began listening to metal, Metallica was my favourite. But after traveling around the genres I found out I was hooked by Sabbath. Until now Sabbath is still my favourite. Even though there's lots of amazing bands and musicians but Sabbath never leaves my mind.
                          Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
                          Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
                          In the age of reason, how do we survive?
                          The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Black Sabbath is like no other band, sometimes I listen strictly to the Ozzy era, and sometimes I get into the Dio era, at times I'll just play the Born Again album over and over again.

When Fall sets in, for some odd reason I mostly get into the debut album, maybe it's the cover that sets the mood? Who knows. One thing is for sure there is some Sabbath for every mood.

At times I reflect back to when I was growing up as teenager fondly, and Sabbath was always there. I never got mixed up with trends, some got into whatever was popular at the moment, whether it was glam, Thrash, Black Metal, Death metal, or Hardcore Punk, for me it was always Sabbath or Ozzy solo as my primary music.

I became intertwined with Sabbath growing up, their music seemed to speak out to me and blended with what I felt and was going through as a young man growing up.

Sabbath just felt and feels natural, I feel like I am one with Sabbath, if that makes sense and doesn't sound too corny.

Sometimes I'm listening to a certain Sabbath record and I can visualize places, moments and situations I went through when I was coming up in the world, just as if they were clear as day, and that brings back good feelings and memories.

Black Sabbath is just so special and dear to me, while I listen to other bands, no other band strikes those youthful, good and sometimes heartbreaking moments we all go through in life, because I'd be lying if I said all my teenage years were great and happy, but whatever the moment and feeling Sabbath was always there to comfort me through the sad times and enlighten me through the happy times.

Black Sabbath was, is and always shall be my band!

Comment

No. Not at all. Sabbath is historically my favorite band but I love hundreds of other bands/Artists. Priest, Maiden, Misfits ,Bowie, PJ Harvey, Deep Purple, Cream, Yardbirds, Motorhead, Hawkwind,In Flames, Rotting Christ, Marvin Gaye, The Saints, The Damned, TSOL. I could go on and on. It would be sad if I could only listen to the "first 8" for the rest of my life. It would be like only eating Pizza ( my favorite food) from here on out. I would try, real hard, to broaden my horizons if I was stuck eating only Pizza.
                              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Working...
                              X