Black Sabbath (book) - Symptom of the Universe by Mike Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
    Funnily enough, my favourite Sabbath book is still Chris Welch's, even though there is more than a bit of "Ozzy-fawning" in it.
    Is this the book that wrongly states Ozzy was in the Magic Lanterns?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

The Wall and McIver books have many errors, so it's best to stick with the Tangye/Wright, Sharpe-Young, and the Popoff books Doom Let Loose and FAQ. The Welch is pretty good, but old (1982). The thing is these books don't really do is talk about the actual music--Popoff kindly said about my book, Experiencing Black Sabbath: "Nolan Stolz has impressively found a way to add to the current writings on Black Sabbath, most notably with his detailed deconstruction of each song" because I describe the music, and within a historical context. The Wilkinson (Rat Salad) attempts that, but does it incorrectly. I've yet to read Popoff's latest books, but I'm sure they're good--and a different approach than I take.

Regarding paperback/hardcover, usually only major publishers will do a hardcover because they are so expensive to produce. Most don't re-release in softcover, but sometimes they do. No sense on waiting for a different version--just get it if it's available.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
        Is this the book that wrongly states Ozzy was in the Magic Lanterns?
        Yes, it does.
        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Funnily enough, my favourite Sabbath book is still Chris Welch's, even though there is more than a bit of "Ozzy-fawning" in it.
          Chris Welch's is the only Sabbath book I have. I've read it having been described as 'disastrously confusing' and by and large it's hard to disagree with that observation. It does have quite a few good colour and b&w photos and concert adverts throughout and tends to concentrate it's details on the formative years of the Group.

Ted

Comment

Yes, it does.
            I bought The Magic Lanterns album because of that and still have it.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
            X