How did you get into Black Sabbath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get into Black Sabbath?

How and when did you get into Sabbath, and share your story.

Here is how I got into Sabbath:

About two years ago(seems like a couple months ago, actually, but I know it was two years,)
    I was starting to get into heavy metal. I had liked heavy metal for maybe four years, but my interests didn't fully develop until about two years ago. I was listening to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and a lot of Ozzy solo career stuff. I got an iTunes gift card, and downloaded a few Iron Maiden and Judas Priest songs, but, then, Black Sabbath's early albums weren't available on iTunes.

My dad bought Paranoid for me, and we listened to it driving around everywhere.
    I loved the album, of course. My dad, who didn't like Sabbath that much at first (he thought they were one of those heavily influential bands that weren't actually good, like Napalm Death) also got into Black Sabbath.

Finally, ITunes added all of the Ozzy era Black Sabbath albums, and, I basically bought their discography, along with Megadeth's discography, and many other bands' albums.

Black Sabbath is my favorite band. I would also be interested in seeing how many people would also say that Black Sabbath is their favorite band.

Hopefully there isn't a thread like this...
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

I got into Sabbath via Ozzy's Speak Of the Devil album which I'd borrowed and taped from my sisters then boyfriend 33 years ago this December. The only band I really listened to and loved up until then was Kiss.

Speak Of The Devil along with Maidens The Number Of the Beast opened up a whole new musical horizon for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
      Hopefully there isn't a thread like this...

I think there's at least two previous threads! But not to worry I don't think either has been active in a long time.

I'll keep this short... I've been a fan since 1980 when I was 15. I was already developing a taste for rock and punk and their variants. The songs Neon Knights and a re-issue of Paranoid were released in the UK, both were hits and the rest is history.

They are very much my favourite group.
      My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

I was introduced to Black Sabbath in 2001 via a video game called ''Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2'' on the PS2. The soundtrack had Paranoid on it; and I would skip every other song and replay Paranoid over and over again. I never remembered the song title or band name, so I never pursued the band. However, 4 years later I re-discovered Paranoid and the entire Sabbath catalogue by searching for Ozzy songs (I was aware of Crazy Train and No More Tears, and was interested in what else he had done) on Napster and other P2P music sharing sites.

Comment

By the way, when I made that Napalm Death anthology, I was only trying to refer to Scum being overrated because of its influence on grindcore. I wasn't trying to insult Napalm Death as a band.

Just saying this before people start thinking I hate Napalm Death, because I don't.
          You tried to suppress me
          But nothing holds me down
          Just when you think you're happy
          I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
            I got into Sabbath via Ozzy's Speak Of the Devil album which I'd borrowed and taped from my sisters then boyfriend 33 years ago this December. The only band I really listened to and loved up until then was Kiss.

Speak Of The Devil along with Maidens The Number Of the Beast opened up a whole new musical horizon for me.
            This pretty much sums it up for me. Was a die hard KISS fan in the late 70's (starting around 8 or 9 years old). Then I got into AC/DC, Rush, Van Halen and some others. Got into Ozzy solo because of Randy Rhoads, and when I heard Speak of the Devil I was pretty much an instant Sabbath fan. Bought a bunch of the 70's albums within a few months of the SOTD purchase. And also jumped right into the Dio era which was the current incarnation of Sabbath at the time, and have been a fan ever since.
            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

First thing was my friend's older brother playing Electric Funeral on his shitty Strat copy and tiny amp, which blew my mind and lead to the Backtrackin 21st anniversary double cassette in 91.

Comment

My older brothers turned me on to all kinds of great stuff back in the 70's: Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple, Rush, Yes, etc. It just exploded from there...
                Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Comment

In 1970 I heard Paranoid.
                  Have been loyal to this band ever since.
                  Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Comment

I saw Iron Man on Beavis and Butthead and went from there

Comment

My Mom kicked my Dad out for being a Drunk dick. Luckily he left his records. Paranoid is one of them.
                      Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

I got into Black Sabbath through the Ozzy solo live album Speak Of The Devil, a high school colleague told me I had to listen to the original songs, I then started buying each Black Sabbath album whenever I could afford them through my afterschool part time job, and fell in love with every single Ozzy/Sabbath album and eventually bought every era Sabbath album and its been a lifetime affair ever since from the formative age of sixteen.
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by MRM45 View Post
                          My older brothers turned me on to all kinds of great stuff back in the 70's: Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple, Rush, Yes, etc. It just exploded from there...
                          Exactly the same for me, bands also included Jimi, Cream, Grand Funk. I was 10 when S/T came out... never looked back.

Comment

Black Sabbath has been my favorite band since 1981. At age 13, I was becoming a huge fan of Ozzy and AC/DC before I learned about the incomparable Black Sabbath by listening to a kick-ass local FM radio station. My realization took place on a cool October day when I recognized that unique voice while listening to Iron Man and Paranoid. After that day, no music would ever match Black Sabbath.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
                              After that day, no music would ever match Black Sabbath.
                              Amen brother. (YoY)
                              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                              ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                              X