Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did/do your parents think of Black Sabbath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progonaut
    replied
    What did/do your parents think of Black Sabbath?
    Good question. But here’s a better one. How can my parents think about something they have never heard of? They are both readers, not listeners.

Leave a comment:

• Vynlsol
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Black Sabbath is the opium for the ears. Marx said that...
    Hey, man, watch where you're swinging that socially-necessary labor-time. There are some delicate commodities around here!

Leave a comment:

• Billy Underdog
    replied
    Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    He gave me a burst of "Iron Man" and it might as well have been Heroin.
    Black Sabbath is the opium for the ears. Marx said that...

Leave a comment:

• William_the_Bloody
    replied
    My parents were 16 and 18 in 1972 (the year I was born)

They were potentially right in-the-pocket for Black Sabbath fandom.

Alas, my dad was a football jock and my mom was...I think my mom was a bit of a geek. You know, I really don't know I should ask my dad sometime...

As I was saying, neither of them liked Black Sabbath. They liked music that was about 5-7 years old at that time. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Motown (and We're from Detroit, so...), Bob Segar, The Beatles.

My Dad had some cool albums he never quite listened to. Stones, Doors, Beatles, Zeppelin...I'm not sure what went wrong (Probably having a baby at age 18, right?)...

Now my Dad's Sister, whom we also lived with, liked Sabbath enough to own "Paranoid" but nothing else. She was really into Heart and Donny Osmond (She even converted to Mormonism.)

Even with Paranoid in the house, I never discovered Sabbath until I was 12, on the back of the bus in 7th grade asking John Lucas what he was listening to in his Walkman. He gave me a burst of "Iron Man" and it might as well have been Heroin.

Leave a comment:

• Vynlsol
    replied
    My folks never cared one way or the other what I listened to, although they didn't really like Black Sabbath. I had a Sabbath hat when I was a kid, and one day my dad stated that he wished he had two of them...so he could shit in one and cover it up with the other

Leave a comment:

• zzzptm
    replied
    My dad took me to see the "Born Again" tour when they came to Dallas.

Looking back, I think I was heavily underrating my dad at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin
    replied
    My parents were none too pleased with my older brother's choices in records (Black Sab, DP, KISS, AC/DC, etc.). I was the little brother who grew up listening to his records and my parents slowly lost their paternal influence and just gave up after a while. #victory

Leave a comment:

• Tracette
    replied
    My mom would have nothing to do with Sabbath, too much for her. But she knew how incredibly important they were to me. The hardest she got into hard rock would be a few of your basic 70s commercial rock, (Bob Seger), but Sabbath, no! My dad on the other hand, more of a rocker could deal with the, again "commercial" Sabbath ie: Paranoid, and such that was played on the radio. He is pretty much a commercial rocker and likes much more harder rock than my mom. I was turned on to bands like Cheap Trick and Aerosmith from him in the 70s. I learned B.S. from his brother, my uncle who had ALL of the Ozzy era Sabbath on cassette. I have to give props to my mom who, nonetheless, helped me hang banners on the nearby bridge the night before Ozzy's birthday in the freezing cold Dec. 2nd when I was in high school!

Leave a comment:

• OIM
    replied
    My parental units did not approve

Leave a comment:

• SabbathsValhalla
    replied
    My Parents aren't into Black Sabbath or Metal, though my Mum can bear to listen to certain songs like Paranoid and the Soft Songs too, My Grandad however is into Metal as well as my Uncle so when I see them, we chill out and listen to any Metal, was my Uncle that got me into W.A.S.P. haha, its defo pretty cool when you got a friend or family member to chat bout Metal Bands be it Sabbath or other Bands

Leave a comment:

• HM67
    replied
    My parents hate heavy metal, they think it is the devil's music and the heaviest music they will listen to is The Beatles.

Leave a comment:

• Spiralarchitectx1
    replied
    Yes I have my old man to blame for my sabbath/ozzy infatuation, one cool dude man

Leave a comment:

• Eth2345131
    replied
    My dad got me into them so usually when we're driving somewhere some Sabbath is playing, be it Master of Reality or attempting Dio's speeches and wails from Live Evil or any of the other masterpieces

Leave a comment:

• Freeyyaa Skogkatt
    replied
    My mummy have never known English--she liked logical die Deutchesprache and la langue Française. So she would never understand what they sing about.

Leave a comment:

• 8bit Fighter
    replied
    I would of thought my parents would of been against them because of the musical themes, but turns out they didn't care. My mom even took me and my friends to my first concert, that being OZZFEST 2005.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X