Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

what got you into sabbath????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what got you into sabbath????????

Wow, there are a lot more people who started liking this band (or reliking this band) because of the Osbournes than I thought!

Which is not a problem of course. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It was a rather amusing show from time to time.

Comment

The person who got me into Black Sabbath would have to be my camp leader I had at a summer camp two years ago. The camp leader happened to own the Black Box and as a result, all throughout that one week, he would play classic Black Sabbath songs on numerous occasions to all the campers in my group. It was because of me hearing such classic songs as Paranoid, Iron Man, and Children of the Grave that I ended up being hooked to listening to Black Sabbath and as a result, I bought my first Black Sabbath cd Paranoid a few weeks later after the camp session ended.

Comment

I bought Heaven & Hell in, like, 2000.
        The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

I was looking through my uncle's cd and tape collection and i was just picking band names that sounded cool and asking him if they are any good. When i asked about Sabbath he mentioned that Ozzy was the lead singer on that album so i decided to have a listen. Been hooked since.

Comment

oh man...well...

i knew of Ozzy and I knew Ozzy was in Sabbath and that Dio had just taken over the mic. I heard Over The Mountain, Flying High Again, Tonight and You Can't Kill Rock & Roll A LOT on the radio. Ironically I'd never heard anything from Blizzard until later. Of course I had also heard the Sabbath standards on the radio as well (Paranoid, Iron Man). I first had the Paranoid LP and dug it but was far more into Zeppelin and Purple at the time. I first heard the Dio incarnation from the Heavy Metal soundtrack. To me, it was a totally different beast than what I knew from Paranoid. A friend of mine had H&H and MR's so I taped them and loved em both. So from that point I wanted to get a little more into the history of Sabbath. Based on the album covers alone, I bought NSD and TE. I thought they where good but not great. It wasn't until I heard SBS that I was locked in and then I got my grubby little hands on Vol.4. After that, Sabbath where my new band and Zeppelin and Purple fell back to second and third. As my musical taste expanded to did my love for Sabbath. for me, they complete the circle and did it in a way as to not "sell out" so to speak. They where the band for the misfits and the people who knew something that everyone else seemed to have missed out on.

They are a phenomenon. Even when Dio joined at first and Ward was still on board Sabbath where a juggernaut. When MB came around you could start to tell that the brotherhood, the phenomenon was slipping. I know the die hard Iommi fans hate to hear that but it's simply the truth.

Comment

Do you have to bring that up every chance you get? Seriously, it's nothing personal man, and I have no problem at all with people's opinions on the matter, but that will most likely start yet another 200 posts thread about wether it should be called Sabbath after Ozzy or not! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
              The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

relax. it's just an opinion and my story of what got me into Black Sabbath. I don't understand where your huffing and puffing is coming from...I post out here on average of once every two weeks.

if you don't like what i write, then don't read it

Comment

In my case it looks like this:

Dreamer->The Osbournes-> Down to earth, Blizzard of Ozz
                  -> The Best of Black Sabbath this with 32 songs)

But I became an Ozzy solo fan, and the Black Sabbath, if there was no Ozzy solo, Sabbath would not be enough to make me their fan. But of course then I got wiser, and now I prefer Black Sabbath to Ozzy solo.

Comment

The devil made me do it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though I was at a friends and he had the paranoid album on his turntable,yup good old vinly.They had/have the sound I couldn't shake from my head and the sound of Ozzy's voice.I until then have not heard a singer quite like Ozzy and then the wall of sound backing him up, effin' awesome. !

Comment

well, a curious story here. I was a Faith No More fan back in 1990, and I bought the "The Real Thing" LP, and the song that i liked the most of that LP was a song called... War Pigs... I didn´t realize that was a Sabbath song until 1994, when I went to a Monsters of Rock show, with slayer, sabbath and kiss (because a friend of mine was a kiss fan), here in Argentina. Yeah, they played War Pigs, with Tony Martin on voices... Now I´m a Sabbath fan (ah, and I listened to Cross Purposes first than Paranoid, because I went to the cd store and bought the first sabbath cd I saw, I´ve listened to Ozzy two months later, wen I bought the Greates Hits cd )

Comment

It all started with N.I.B. it was a two way deal also...the guitar solo got me into guitar playing, and the song got me into black sabbath and good rock and metal music in general

Comment

Dad had a greatest hits collection called Rock Classics.
                          CD 1 contained the song Paranoid among many other classics from Motörhead and Purple etc.

The only song I certainly recognzied was Smoke on the Water and We will Rock You.

But I listened to all songs, and Paranoid, annoyed me, or rather, the line: "Make a joke and I will sigh and You will laugh..."

I thought: How useless! And started to listen to it alot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Then I got obessed by the song, listen to that track only, maybe 5-10 times a day.

After that I checked out Dad's other Ozzy CD:s, because I didn't realize it was Sabbath, not Ozzy who wrote it.
                          The only Ozzy CD:s I found that I found that wasn't LP:s was Ozzman Cometh and No Rest For The Wicked.
                          I decided to copy some of the music from the one with the best cover, wich was Ozzman Cometh.
                          I took all songs, except Black Sabbath and Warpigs, wich I didn't like.

Then finally got a couple of Sabbath songs via Kazaa so I luckily got into them too.

The blood runs free
                          The rain turns red
                          Give me the wine you keep the bread

Comment

For me it was Castle's "Between Heaven & Hell" compilation.

I bought for £9 in a local record shop in January '96. Track #1 "Hole in the Sky" - f**king hell, this is the sh*t!!!

Been hooked ever since

Comment

Back in the 80es I was (and still am) a big Deep Purple fan. I bough Sabbath then and hated it. Compared with the colourful music of Purple, Sabbath sounded grey and dark to my ears. They still sound the same, btw, but I have learned to like this kind of music too... Well, I never liked what I heard back there, except for 2 or 3 songs. But then a friend of mine gave me a tape and told me: This is a new hot band I found. Check it out!! I put it in my player and I though: Holy shit, this is a hell of a vocalist this band have. I loved that tape a lot. My friend told me then "Ok, so you don't like Sabbath? This is Sabbath. The tape was "Headless Cross". Then I began collectioning everything about the band, and hey, I even like the Ozzy era a lot now :-)

Comment

Hearing Born Again in 83, already a huge Gillan fan and I just loved BA, stared to listen to Sabbath then.

Comment

Working...
                                X