Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to the Never Say Die! album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to the Never Say Die! album?

Hey BSO, was thinking of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to the Never Say Die! album in a sense because well with both Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die!, seems like Sabbath wanted to broaden their sound to appeal to more people, and Blizzard of Ozz also has that same goal too. Ozzy wanted to appeal to more people "without selling out" so it still has themes Ozzy would sing about and metal music. Also, and this is what got me thinking of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to Never Say Die!, are the songs Johnny Blade and Mr. Crowley. Both songs prominently feature synthesizer openings, with Mr. Crowley's opening sounding like a really expanded version of Johnny Blade's synthesizer opening. Immediately reminded me of Johnny Blade when I heard Mr. Crowley's synthesizer opening recently. So what do you think, BSO? Do you think of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to Never Say Die! the album?
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Originally posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbath! View Post
    Hey BSO, was thinking of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to the Never Say Die! album in a sense because well with both Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die!, seems like Sabbath wanted to broaden their sound to appeal to more people, and Blizzard of Ozz also has that same goal too. Ozzy wanted to appeal to more people "without selling out" so it still has themes Ozzy would sing about and metal music. Also, and this is what got me thinking of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to Never Say Die!, are the songs Johnny Blade and Mr. Crowley. Both songs prominently feature synthesizer openings, with Mr. Crowley's opening sounding like a really expanded version of Johnny Blade's synthesizer opening. Immediately reminded me of Johnny Blade when I heard Mr. Crowley's synthesizer opening recently. So what do you think, BSO? Do you think of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to Never Say Die! the album?
    The thing is Ozzy complained about the direction Sabbath were going, and hated Never say Die! but yet it seems like he did go in that direction with Blizzard Of Ozz, so in a way he was hypocritical. Love Both albums dearly by the way, so if Ozzy would've stayed and they went in the Never Say Die and Blizzard Of Ozzy direction,I still would've of loved Sabbath, as NSD! is one of my faves.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

The thing is Ozzy complained about the direction Sabbath were going, and hated Never say Die! but yet it seems like he did go in that direction with Blizzard Of Ozz, so in a way he was hypocritical. Love Both albums dearly by the way, so if Ozzy would've stayed and they went in the Never Say Die and Blizzard Of Ozzy direction,I still would've of loved Sabbath, as NSD! is one of my faves.
      That's a good point about Ozzy complaining about the direction Sabbath went during that era, yet went that way himself for his solo debut. I also would've loved Sabbath had they continued the NSD! route
      ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
      and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Comment

Originally posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbath! View Post
        Do you think of Blizzard of Ozz as a successor to Never Say Die! the album?
        Nope. Two completely different things in my book.
        you got a killer scene there, man...

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
        http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
        http://www.facebook.com/DVRSweden

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post

Different, but both are in terms of light and not heavy like Sabbath use to be, Ozzy complained about NSD! and it not being heavy like the older Sabbath albums. but Blizzard wasn't too far behind, Mr. Crowley being the heaviest, I'ts my favorite Ozzy album, but I believe Blizzard is in the same direction as NSD!
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
            Different, but both are in terms of light and not heavy like Sabbath use to be, Ozzy complained about NSD! and it not being heavy like the older Sabbath albums. but Blizzard wasn't too far behind, Mr. Crowley being the heaviest, I'ts my favorite Ozzy album, but I believe Blizzard is in the same direction as NSD!
            Although comparing Johnny Blade and Mr. Crowley is an interesting idea I haven't ever considered (I think the latter's intro is better than the former's, although JB's intro improves toward the end), I tend to agree with Ala's assertion above. Also, although OID states above that Blizzard and NSD are both 'light and not heavy like Sabbath use(d) to be', I consider the former - although generally not as heavy as Sabbath's 1st 3 albums - definitely heavier and far superior to the latter. So a different direction altogether.

Ted

Comment

I agree that the Ozzy solo albums are softer than most of the Sabbath albums in the seventies.The Never say die album is the first more melodic and softer one. So i definitily think that Ozzy with Blizzard goes in the Never say die direction.
              Last edited by Kennyz; 10-19-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

With "Blizzard..." Ozzy went in his own direction with his new band. The fact that he felt that "Never Say Die!" wasn't as heavy as the earlier Sabbath albums doesn't negate the sound on his solostuff. Mind you that he had a whole new band with new songwriters and the sound of a new band doesn't necessarily depend on the sound of the previous band. There's nothing to suggest that Ozzy was going in the Sabbath-direction with "Blizzard..." just because it wasn't as heavy as, say "Master Of Reality".
                you got a killer scene there, man...

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
                http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
                http://www.facebook.com/DVRSweden

Comment

^^ I agree with all of the above.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post

Although comparing Johnny Blade and Mr. Crowley is an interesting idea I haven't ever considered (I think the latter's intro is better than the former's, although JB's intro improves toward the end), I tend to agree with Ala's assertion above. Also, although OID states above that Blizzard and NSD are both 'light and not heavy like Sabbath use(d) to be', I consider the former - although generally not as heavy as Sabbath's 1st 3 albums - definitely heavier and far superior to the latter. So a different direction altogether.

Ted
                    I will always put what the original Sab recorded ahead of Ozzy's solo material, be it Blizzard or Diary.

That goes for Never Say Die! which I love.

Comment

I'm someone who was there at this time ,i was there when van halen came into anahiem stadium and sabbath were on same bill and heard that ozzy was'nt in sabbath no more during teac-times ,my older brothers were crazy sabbath fans and took me to long beach and san diego to see ozzy n sabb ,but nothing compares to that blizzard n' diary albums and the show on new years eve in downtown LA was un-real ,i did'nt know anything about guitar player randy rhoads ,untill i seen him that night and after that night ,i hold ozzy blizzard and diary as greatest albums of all times and believe me that first sabbath album is runs in my blood, but that Randy he was something else.......

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                        I'm someone who was there at this time ,i was there when van halen came into anahiem stadium and sabbath were on same bill and heard that ozzy was'nt in sabbath no more during teac-times ,my older brothers were crazy sabbath fans and took me to long beach and san diego to see ozzy n sabb ,but nothing compares to that blizzard n' diary albums and the show on new years eve in downtown LA was un-real ,i did'nt know anything about guitar player randy rhoads ,untill i seen him that night and after that night ,i hold ozzy blizzard and diary as greatest albums of all times and believe me that first sabbath album is runs in my blood, but that Randy he was something else.......
                        Yes Mike I agree Randy was something else, he was very special.

You're a guy to envy, you were there during these special concerts and lived them.

What it must've been like to see Ozzy during his first solo shows with Randy, I can only imagine, while you have all these great memories, God bless you brother!

Comment

Blizzard was a strong album ... I was surprised I was expecting more of Am I Going Insane which was supposed to have been an Ozzy solo song and album ...
                          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

Working...
                          X