Black Sabbath with David Coverdale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Sabbath with David Coverdale?

Hi again everyone. I read an interview with Tony Iommi on this forum site that after Sabbath called it quits the first time round with Dio, that Iommi called up David Coverdale, but he was already committed. Apparently Coverdale would have taken up the offer too, if not for his committments.

What do you think Sabbath would have been like with Coverdale? Personally, I think it would have been a very different form of Sabbath, less heavy, more bluesy and commerical. I'm kind of thinking it would have been similar to when Joe Lynn Turner did the one off album with Deep Purple-a fairly hefty departure from their grassroots sound.

I'm sure I would have liked it as I love both Sabbath and all things Coverdale. I also loved the Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner. But then again, I seem to be in the minority. And I'm quite certain that I would have much preferred it to the Gillan episode. But how much of a Sabbath sound is the question. I'm thinking that it would have been somewhat similar to Whitesnake.

So what do you guys think Coverdale would have been like in Sabbath?

Re: Black Sabbath with David Coverdale?

I think it would have been great!
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Given if David Coverdale got the job, I would think the end result would sound like Seventh Star with Glenn Hughes, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. I too would probably like it since I liked Seventh Star, Burn, and Stormbringer, which the later two both had Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale together.
      "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Given if David Coverdale got the job, I would think the end result would sound like Seventh Star with Glenn Hughes, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. I too would probably like it since I liked Seventh Star, Burn, and Stormbringer, which the later two both had Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale together.
        "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally Posted By: airdance

What do you think Sabbath would have been like with Coverdale?

We already know what it would have sounded like. Pop in any Sabbath album fronted by Tony Martin.

Comment

We already know what it would have sounded like. Pop in any Sabbath album fronted by Tony Martin.

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon

Or boring as a album fronted by Dio.
              Can't you see what I see
              You and I victims of Their word
              As the master of power
              Try to poison our world
              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Or boring as a album fronted by Dio.
                Can't you see what I see
                You and I victims of Their word
                As the master of power
                Try to poison our world
                ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Ha ha. I was just about to say, "watch out for Ray Rules" when unfortunately, I see he's beaten me to it.

I won't get in the middle of this argument, but everybody knows Ray loves Tony Martin, (I like him too, not to the same extent, but still like what he did in Sabbath).

You got what you had coming to you.

Comment

Ha ha. I was just about to say, "watch out for Ray Rules" when unfortunately, I see he's beaten me to it.

I won't get in the middle of this argument, but everybody knows Ray loves Tony Martin, (I like him too, not to the same extent, but still like what he did in Sabbath).

You got what you had coming to you.

Comment

For someone who loves Ray so much, he sure does jump on TM's cock in a heartbeat!!

Comment

For someone who loves Ray so much, he sure does jump on TM's cock in a heartbeat!!

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon For someone who loves Ray so much, he sure does jump on TM's cock in a heartbeat!!

Now now children, play nicely. Let's just say that you're both wrong. Sabbath with Tony Martin is not "pop" and Sabbath with Dio is not "boring". I know that generally speaking, the Dio Sabbath era has the most credibility of the post Ozzy Sabbath, but there are some really great songs with the Martin era.

I would say that the Dio era is overall heavier than the Martin era. But some of the Martin songs are great. I think of numbers like "The Law Maker" and "I Witness".

Plus you had the class of a concept album with 'TYR'. On the minus side, Dio Sabbath did not suffer from a generally poor album overall like "Forbidden". There is not a single weak Dio album. Dio rocks a little harder than Martin. However, I really enjoy much of the moodier music that Martin produced. A lot of his music had much more atmosphere than the Dio music.

Both Dio and Martin had their strengths, and different ones at that.

Comment

I didn't say TM was pop. I said "pop it in" as in, put it in your stereo.

Stay out of my arguments with Ray. We will insult each other as we see fit, whether you like it or not.

Besides, Ozzy is the only real Sabbath singer. Everyone else is just filling in.

Comment

I didn't say TM was pop. I said "pop it in" as in, put it in your stereo.

Stay out of my arguments with Ray. We will insult each other as we see fit, whether you like it or not.

Besides, Ozzy is the only real Sabbath singer. Everyone else is just filling in.

Comment

Working...
                              X