Black Sabbath with David Coverdale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Sabbath with David Coverdale?

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon Stay out of my arguments with Ray. We will insult each other as we see fit, whether you like it or not.

And I will butt in if I feel like it. Free country bud.

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon Stay out of my arguments with Ray. We will insult each other as we see fit, whether you like it or not.

And I will butt in if I feel like it. Free country bud.

Comment

I would loved to have heard an Iommi/Coverdale collaboration. I personally like all eras of Sabbath, and I'm sure an epoch with David Coverdale would have provided some great moments too. I agree with one of the earlier posts that it probably would have been somewhat reminiscent of the 1986 Iommi/Hughes album, that is, it would have a mid-seventies Deep Purple sound and influence. It would have been interesting.

Comment

I would loved to have heard an Iommi/Coverdale collaboration. I personally like all eras of Sabbath, and I'm sure an epoch with David Coverdale would have provided some great moments too. I agree with one of the earlier posts that it probably would have been somewhat reminiscent of the 1986 Iommi/Hughes album, that is, it would have a mid-seventies Deep Purple sound and influence. It would have been interesting.

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon
            Originally Posted By: airdance

What do you think Sabbath would have been like with Coverdale?

So what do you guys think Coverdale would have been like in Sabbath?
            We already know what it would have sounded like. Pop in any Sabbath album fronted by Tony Martin.
            Nah. Coverdale is much worse than Martin, I don't think it would have worked.
            "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

We already know what it would have sounded like. Pop in any Sabbath album fronted by Tony Martin.
              "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Originally Posted By: Rover

Hey Rover, inadvertent slip of tongue or not, that ^^ is gotta be the quote of the month. Especially from a genuine aficionado and steadfast advocate (of the TM-era Sabbath albums) like yourself. DC "much worse" as in 'even more bad' than TM?? Ha, a belated admission that Tony Martin wasn't exactly all that great for the mighty band, after all.

But hey, while I'd always regard TM's own talents, tenure, and most importantly, his collective output with the band as scarcely worthy of my admiration, I'd whole-heartedly agree that David Coverdale is/would have been definitely even 'worse' for Sabbath. I won't bring up the evidence of DC's extremely drab, forgettable stint with Deep Purple into this. But I just think that Dave's induction into the Sabbath line-up would have forced the others to drastically alter their songwriting/playing styles in ways that would be calamitous for a band that, to my eyes at least, had already slid into decline after the glories of the seventies. Among other potential sins, I reckon Dave would have made an already often deliberately slow, sludgy, broodingly heavy band actually sound near-comatose. Need I add what horrors would visit some of us fans that were childishly scoffing at Ozzy's 'Changes', for instance, if David Coverdale had, (as I'm sure he would), brought his penchant for melancholic love songs and mushy rock ballads into the Sabbath engine room?? Alas, it didn't happen. I'm one grateful fan, for that.
                "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon I didn't say TM was pop. I said "pop it in" as in, put it in your stereo.

Stay out of my arguments with Ray. We will insult each other as we see fit, whether you like it or not.

Besides, Ozzy is the only real Sabbath singer. Everyone else is just filling in.
                  HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                  Fuck!... Dude, I was 99% sure that you said pop as "put in" too, but I was like.. "damn, I can't miss this one".. HAHAHAHA!.. Still, VERY good reply!

And about Ray, well, nobody trys to beat him because you can't scratch his devine talent.
                  Can't you see what I see
                  You and I victims of Their word
                  As the master of power
                  Try to poison our world
                  ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon I didn't say TM was pop. I said "pop it in" as in, put it in your stereo.

Stay out of my arguments with Ray. We will insult each other as we see fit, whether you like it or not.

Besides, Ozzy is the only real Sabbath singer. Everyone else is just filling in.
                    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                    Fuck!... Dude, I was 99% sure that you said pop as "put in" too, but I was like.. "damn, I can't miss this one".. HAHAHAHA!.. Still, VERY good reply!

And about Ray, well, nobody trys to beat him because you can't scratch his devine talent.
                    Can't you see what I see
                    You and I victims of Their word
                    As the master of power
                    Try to poison our world
                    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever if David Coverdale had, (as I'm sure he would), brought his penchant for melancholic love songs and mushy rock ballads into the Sabbath engine room??
                      All lyrics would need to have been written by the Geeze. Coverdale came up with "Stormbringer" and beyond that sap is definitely his thing. But I do think that a non-Sabbath collaboration might be interesting to hear, just for shits and grins. You have to admit that Whitesnake has had some awesome lineups over the years.

It certainly sounds like there's a great opportunity for an "Other Bands" forum on Deep Purple vocals.
                      Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
                      I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
                      There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever if David Coverdale had, (as I'm sure he would), brought his penchant for melancholic love songs and mushy rock ballads into the Sabbath engine room??
                        All lyrics would need to have been written by the Geeze. Coverdale came up with "Stormbringer" and beyond that sap is definitely his thing. But I do think that a non-Sabbath collaboration might be interesting to hear, just for shits and grins. You have to admit that Whitesnake has had some awesome lineups over the years.

It certainly sounds like there's a great opportunity for an "Other Bands" forum on Deep Purple vocals.
                        Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
                        I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
                        There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

Speak for yourself, Crazy Train-lover

Comment

Speak for yourself, Crazy Train-lover

Comment

While Martin did a fine job covering Coverdale's stuff during his stint with M3, I doubt the reverse would result in anything but a mess.

Comment

While Martin did a fine job covering Coverdale's stuff during his stint with M3, I doubt the reverse would result in anything but a mess.

Comment

Working...
                                X