Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Sabbath with David Coverdale?

"Blacksnake!"

I heard that too, that Coverdale and Cozy Powell almost replaced Dio and Vinny Appice.

We know the results of what Cozy sounded like with Sabbath...RIP, Cozy, you're missed!

But Coverdale?

First of all, the man's got a monumental ego. I don't think it would have been very long before he and Iommi would have been clashing over the direction of the band...and then Iommi would have shown him the door.

I think that Coverdale would have demanded to write the lyrics (which would have pissed Geezer off), and mostly he writes about his cock (early Whitesnake) or sappy love songs (later Whitesnake). I think he would have also demanded that Sabbath include Whitesnake and/or Purple songs in their live set. OK, I can see Sabbath having a good go at "Stormbringer," but certainly not "Lie Down...I Think I Love You!"

Coverdale is a good singer, one of my favourites, but can anyone really see him mustering up the dark menace necessary to sing "Black Sabbath" or "The Sign Of The Southern Cross"...especially while jumping around onstage wanking his mic stand?

I think he definitely would have made Sabbath much, much more commercial and blues-flavoured, and maybe brought more female fans, but then it wouldn't have been Sabbath anymore. The possible comparisons to Seventh Star (which I like) are valid. Imagine an entire album composed of "Heart Like A Wheel" and "No Stranger To Love" type songs.

I just don't think it would have worked...but I'd still be interested in hearing him sing on an Iommi solo project.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Pffffft! Completely irrelevant arguments all around. It's a well-known and documented fact that Ozzy is the best at everything, even guitar work. In fact, I prefer to call his so-called "solo" career in the 80's "Black Sabbath," and everything Tony Iommi did after 1978 was just solo work under a false name.

If it weren't for Ozzy, there's be no Black Sabbath. And by the way, Zakk Wylde is by far the best guitarist Black Sabbath has ever had, with Brad Gillis a close second. Iommi is third, but way down.

Comment

Pffffft! Completely irrelevant arguments all around. It's a well-known and documented fact that Ozzy is the best at everything, even guitar work. In fact, I prefer to call his so-called "solo" career in the 80's "Black Sabbath," and everything Tony Iommi did after 1978 was just solo work under a false name.

If it weren't for Ozzy, there's be no Black Sabbath. And by the way, Zakk Wylde is by far the best guitarist Black Sabbath has ever had, with Brad Gillis a close second. Iommi is third, but way down.

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon Pffffft! Completely irrelevant arguments all around. It's a well-known and documented fact that Ozzy is the best at everything, even guitar work. In fact, I prefer to call his so-called "solo" career in the 80's "Black Sabbath," and everything Tony Iommi did after 1978 was just solo work under a false name.

The time it is coming when all life will end,
          With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
          Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
          The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon Pffffft! Completely irrelevant arguments all around. It's a well-known and documented fact that Ozzy is the best at everything, even guitar work. In fact, I prefer to call his so-called "solo" career in the 80's "Black Sabbath," and everything Tony Iommi did after 1978 was just solo work under a false name.

The time it is coming when all life will end,
            With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
            Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
            The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

* Verify argument importance... *

Guys, who here likes bacon?

Can't you see what I see
              You and I victims of Their word
              As the master of power
              Try to poison our world
              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

* Verify argument importance... *

Guys, who here likes bacon?

Can't you see what I see
                As the master of power
                Try to poison our world

Comment

Oh man, where do I even begin to show you the error of your ways with this post?

Firstly, "Ozzy is the best at everything, even guitar work". What guitar work? Iommi came up with the majority of the songs, all the riffs, and Geezer did the lyrics and melody. I'm not knocking Ozzy, he was the flamboyant front man and vocalist, but he barely wrote anything.

Why is Ozzy's solo career, in your opinion, "Black Sabbath" but Iommi's post Ozzy work not Black Sabbath? That makes no sense at all. Sabbath is Tony Iommi. No Iommi means no Sabbath.

And to say that Iommi is third past Zak Wylde and whatever other guitarist you named means you've just lost the plot. And calling Ozzy's solo guitarists a "Black Sabbath" guitarist, far and above Tony Iommi, the creator of Black Sabbath..............

Yeah, the mind boggles.

Comment

I just call 'em as I see 'em. I'd even go as far to say Sharon is a pretty good bass player, but it was better that they replaced her with Geezer. I don't think Ozzy and Sharon would have married if they had had to continue a professional relationship in Black Sabbath. And fortunately for us they did get married. Otherwise, how would they have found Randy, the greatest drummer ever?!?

Comment

Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon I just call 'em as I see 'em. I'd even go as far to say Sharon is a pretty good bass player, but it was better that they replaced her with Geezer. I don't think Ozzy and Sharon would have married if they had had to continue a professional relationship in Black Sabbath. And fortunately for us they did get married. Otherwise, how would they have found Randy, the greatest drummer ever?!?

I see....

Comment

Originally Posted By: airdance
                        Originally Posted By: SDMF Jon I just call 'em as I see 'em. I'd even go as far to say Sharon is a pretty good bass player, but it was better that they replaced her with Geezer. I don't think Ozzy and Sharon would have married if they had had to continue a professional relationship in Black Sabbath. And fortunately for us they did get married. Otherwise, how would they have found Randy, the greatest drummer ever?!?

I see....
                        Dude, can't you see he's making fun since... he started posted here on this thread? Love Jon's humor!
                        Can't you see what I see
                        As the master of power
                        Try to poison our world

Comment

Humor?! You wouldn't know humor unless it was delivered by Tony Martin in the form of Black Sabbath!!!

Actually, Randy was a great drummer. Randy Castillo, that is. Seriously, if you ever go to work for Ozzy, your name better not be Randy. It's just not good.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules
                            Dude, can't you see he's making fun since... he started posted here on this thread? Love Jon's humor!
                            Well, I do now. Boy is my face red.

Comment

Oh, I would have loved to hear a duet with Coverdale and Ozzy!

Ozzy is so good at duets! Like the one's he did with Madonna, Kim Basinger and not to forget Miss Piggy...
                              and the remarkable re-make of that awful hard rock ballad "Changes" that he turned to gold together with his extremly talented daughter...
                              God knows as your dognose

Comment

I actually really like the "Born to be Wild duet with Ms. Piggy. It's funny and shows her comedic side.

Comment

Working...
                                X