X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I heard a David Coverdale interview on radio where he laughed at the idea of joining Sabbath when Tony asked him to join.

I like David Coverdale, love his voice, I think he'd be better off joining Zeppelin though.

Leave a comment:

• Requiem
    replied
    I love Whitesnake and David Coverdale, but I'm glad he never ended up in Black Sabbath.

Mick Wall thinks that even if Coverdale wasn't busy he would never have joined Sabbath at the time he was asked. The reputation and direction of the band was a bit wishy-washy in the media at that point. If I was Coverdale I probably would have steered clear, too.

Leave a comment:

• DiosSword
    replied
    I like the Coverdale/Page album too...acquired it last year in Canada. I haven't seen it here in the States for years.

Seriously, though, Coverdale in Sabbath? Great singer; in fact I like Made In Europe better than Made In Japan. I also liked Whitesnake when they were still a hard-edged British blues-rock band and not an LA MTV band more concerned with hair than songs.

But in Sabbath? The only way I could see him writing about, for example, witches, is if he were writing about one giving him a blow job.

I also don't think his mic stand antics would have found favour with a Sabbath crowd.

However, now that Sabbath is a done deal, I wouldn't mind hearing him add vocals to another Iommi/Hughes album. I would like to hear what they would do with the Purple song "Stormbringer"...Tony could really dig into the riff on that in unison with Hughes' bass.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    There was the Coverdale/Page collaboration, if Zeppelin were to regroup without Plant, I’d say Coverdale would be a good choice.
    yea C/P was the best album Page made outside Zep... pretty strong album.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by DISCMAN1969 View Post
    ^^^^^
    I agree, I don't really see him in Sabbath. Would have been cool in Zeppelin though
    There was the Coverdale/Page collaboration, if Zeppelin were to regroup without Plant, I’d say Coverdale would be a good choice.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    Tony Iommi said that Eminem wanted to be on his solo album. But that time, Tony didn’t even know who he was. Here’s the statement:
    “The idea of that [album featuring a bunch of special guests] came up well before we actually did it. The original idea was to do an album with Robert Plant and the people more from my generation. And that fizzled out because of all the different things.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    interesting thing Iommi said during a recent live interview in Birmingham at some charity event or something, was that before the Iommi album came out he and Robert Plant had talked about doing something... that would be very very interesting.... to say the least! I can't imagine a heavy metal type album, but something would have come out of it that would have been very special. Robert's a Brummy too as we all know.

Leave a comment:

• DISCMAN1969
    replied
    ^^^^^
    I agree, I don't really see him in Sabbath. Would have been cool in Zeppelin though

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    I heard a David Coverdale interview on radio where he laughed at the idea of joining Sabbath when Tony asked him to join.

I like David Coverdale, love his voice, I think he'd be better off joining Zeppelin though.

Leave a comment:

• Last Tyr
    replied
    Originally posted by racer View Post
    Oh, I don't know ... you can say that if you want to, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing missing from FUSED is the name "Black Sabbath" on the cover

agreed !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• racer
    replied
    Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
    True, but Glenn was horrendous onstage with Sabbath, he just didn't fit and I think he knew it.
    Oooo, careful ... I said the same thing about Gillan and mentioned his denim jacket and caused about 15 posts of furor over it! lol

Plus during that 7th Star aborted tour, Hughes was more of a waste-case than I ever saw Ozzy onstage in the late-'70s ...

Sometimes it's amazing that any of these rock stars survive the substance abuse ... it's just so easy for so many talented people to get wrapped up in it.
    Last edited by racer; 09-03-2008, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• racer
    replied
    Originally posted by airdance View Post
    Excellent. Any Sabbath fan knows that the final breaking point of the original Sabbath was not only personality conflicts and drug abuse, but the conflicts in musical direction, with Ozzy wanting to return to the raw and original Sabbath sound and Tony wanting to experiment with new and complex sounds and instruments.
    Almost. Yes, there were conflicts in musical direction, but I remember an Ozzy quote where he said he wanted the band to sound like Humble Pie - HE named the band - and that's hardly the raw, original Sabbath sound. I think Ozzy wanted to go backwards and make the band sound more like Earth and play more blues/hard rock.

But to be honest, I'm not aso sure that Ozzy's rants in those days weren't simply ways of expressing the personality copnflicts in public, as it's been documented that he did less and less work with the band as the substance abuse worsened. They were all wasted, but Ozzy showed the effects earlier.

Leave a comment:

• devilmaycare
    replied
    Originally posted by racer View Post
    Oh, I don't know ... you can say that if you want to, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing missing from FUSED is the name "Black Sabbath" on the cover
    True, but Glenn was horrendous onstage with Sabbath, he just didn't fit and I think he knew it.

Leave a comment:

• racer
    replied
    Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
    I can see them playing together. I could see Coverale doing stuff with Tony such as "Heart Like A Wheel". But (much like Glenn Hughes) it certainly wouldn't work in the framework of Sabbath.

Leave a comment:

• J Hillenburg
    replied
    Cite the polls. But before you do, go look at that Born Again thread in the Other Eras forum and carefully note the praise found there for that album.

There were arguments about the musical direction. But it's my opinion that drugs and alcohol killed the band, not strings and horn sections.

And I hate to break to you, airy, but his rolling eyes weren't meant for me.

In my final word on this, I never called you ignorant or stupid. Perhaps you should try reading posts more carefully. Those words do not appear in that entire post. And furthermore, you completely disregarded much of my final statement that mentions intolerance of other's opinions being a trait that I have regretfully displayed. If I criticize someone for their behavior, you can bet that I'll include myself in that criticism and cop to the same tendency. We often hate traits in others that we despise in ourselves.

Now go ahead and have the final word. You may need it a lot more than I do.
    Last edited by J Hillenburg; 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X