Born Again or Deep Purple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant was the setting of the video was like Frankenstein not the Lyrica
    I am the God of the sky and if anyone who gets in my way i will throw a bolt of Lightning

Comment

The voice may sound like Purple it's Gillan singing, the music certainly does not, in no way shape or form.

Purple never did anything as heavy as Sabbath, not in my book, Zero The Hero, one of the heaviest Sabbath songs.
      Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 07-01-2018, 01:44 PM. Reason: wrong word
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

The only connection between Born Again album and Deep Purple, is the singer. I have heard the whole discography of Deep Purple and i have to admit that even Purple's most wild albums (In Rock, Machine Head), do not come close to the Sabbath's heaviness. The music style is familiar at points but this is because of the Gillan's manner of putting a scream in the song structure or to just pass from one part of the song to the other (intro of Trashed, passage from Chorus to guitar solo in Hotline).

Although Deep Purple claimed one of the Heavy metal pioneers, they don't match the heaviness of Black Sabbath. Even the band members denying the "Heavy Metal" banner and they stick with the "Heavy Rock" banner because it is Rock n' Roll music with a heavier style. But, Deep Purple's heaviness, is steps lower from the heaviness of Black Sabbath.

Having this in mind, it is pretty much useless to compare those two different things because of the mutual singer. As a Deep Purple and Ian Gillan fan, i must admit that Gillan's collaboration with Sabbath, brought to us THE HEAVIEST stuff in his whole career....

Comment

Nice points of view above from our Russian friend.

In my opinion, there are few albums that should have never been made, at least under Black Sabbath moniker. Born Again and Forbidden above all.
          People seemed to be content
          Fifty dollars paid the rent
          Freaks were in the circus tent
          Those were the days

Comment

Originally posted by Ville View Post
            Nice points of view above from our Russian friend.

In my opinion, there are few albums that should have never been made, at least under Black Sabbath moniker. Born Again and Forbidden above all.
            I think Born Again is a great album, I play it often, it deserves to be under the Black Sabbath moniker as much as the Dio albums.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Sounds nothing like Deep Purple to me. To my ears, even Gillans has a different sound on this one than on the albums he had done with Purple up to that point.
              http://struggle021hc.bandcamp.com
              http://www.facebook.com/struggle021hc
              http://pike.bandcamp.com
              http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
              http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post
                Sounds nothing like Deep Purple to me. To my ears, even Gillans has a different sound on this one than on the albums he had done with Purple up to that point.
                It sounds like Black Sabbath to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post
                  You are right on that. Before joining Black Sabbath, Ian Gillan had nodules on his vocal cords and he had to stop to have a rest. This was the reason why he disbanded his own band. He went under surgery but, something went wrong and his voice started to have the sound we heard on the Born Again album. If you are into Deep Purple stuff, you will realise that on the Perfect Strangers album and the related tour, Gillan was struggling to pull out his trademark faltsettos or even those from the Born Again era. I think, from this period and after, Gillan's voice was going downhill in general and this is one of the reasons why Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple. Check out some stuff from the '93 tour and you will understand why Blackmore was outraged back then.

Comment

Working...
                  X