How much would you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you pay?

How much would you pay for the supposed "final mix" version of Ray's "Eternal idol?" Like if someone were selling it on eBay or privately at a record show. Assume it's the real deal and not a crappy bootleg copy; I'm talking the real deal?

As much as I enjoy the album, I don't think I'd pay more than $30. Maybe $35. Anything more is just gouging.

But it would be worth it!

I would agree. It would be worth $30 - $40 to me.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Anywhere from $5 to $10 to be honest.

I'm not really a fan of Ray Gillen at all, so I wouldn't pay very much.
      If the magic comes between us
      And we never meet again
      Take a part of me away
      'Cause maybe it's all above love
      ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Comment

Anyone know if "Nightmare" has the same melodic intro as the Tony Martin version does?

Comment

I'd be very careful paying anything for something like that off of ebay... you'd be better off at a bootleg fare where you can actually hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF Jon View Post
            Anyone know if "Nightmare" has the same melodic intro as the Tony Martin version does?
            Not on the version I have.

Comment

There's four versions of Ray's EI that I'm aware of.

One is an instrumental demo level version with no vocals.

The second has vocals, but mostly all the guitar solos are left out.

The third is the most common one, is mostly complete, and the beginning of one of the tracks (forget which one) is cut off (Nightmare?). No Scarlet Pimpernel, either.

The final one is a version I have somewhere in my closet. It's a pretty darn polished and clean mix - I've not seen this anywhere else besides this copy. I cannot recall where I got it from (it's been years), but I do recall swearing myself to not give it out.

What I'm hoping for (but don't expect to actually happen) is the third box set will include an alternate version with Ray on it properly cleaned up. So we can put all the botlegs to rest.

Remember: Never EVER pay for bootlegs.
              Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
              View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
                I'd be very careful paying anything for something like that off of ebay... you'd be better off at a bootleg fare where you can actually hear it.
                I was being hypothetical.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post

The second has vocals, but mostly all the guitar solos are left out.

The third is the most common one, is mostly complete, and the beginning of one of the tracks (forget which one) is cut off (Nightmare?). No Scarlet Pimpernel, either.
                  I have both. Sadly, the version that is WITHOUT most of the solos is the one of better sound quality. I wish it were the other way around, because it's noticeably better than the one WITH solos.

Figures.

Comment

If there ever comes out a third box, they should definitly include Rays Eternal Idol. They should also include Tony Martin's version of Dehumanizer. Didn't Iommi say once that he thought Ray's version of Eternal Idol was to good to remain unreleased?
                    http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Priest View Post
                      If there ever comes out a third box, they should definitly include Rays Eternal Idol. They should also include Tony Martin's version of Dehumanizer. Didn't Iommi say once that he thought Ray's version of Eternal Idol was to good to remain unreleased?
                      Indeed, both would be excellent editions to "The Blackest Box."

If what you say about what Tony said is true, I'd like to see the source. That would be hopeful news, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Priest View Post
                        I have never heard that quote before. Look at it this way. The reason there are a lack of "extras" and "rarities" on Black Box 1 and 2 (Rules of Hell) is because the band doesn't care for things like that.

I DOUBT severely we'll see the RG EI album on Black Box 3, but one can hope. Just don't hope too hard.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I have not heard the Ray version of EI, but after I first heard Badlands, who I was a great fan of, I remember thinking "this guy is a great singer, but not for Sabbath." He struck me as a much more Paul Rodgers/(early) David Coverdale type - bluesy hard rock. Of course that could have just been due to Badlands' songwriting style. That band deserved better than they got.

Did Dehumanizer with Tony Martin ever progress beyond rough demos? As I understand it, Tony Iommi had him "on standby" in case Dio didn't work out.
                          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Seriously I don't know where the qoute is from either, I just have a vague memory of reading it somewhere. It could have been wishful thinking from my part, since Joe hasn't heard of it before
                            http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                              I have not heard the Ray version of EI, but after I first heard Badlands
                              You haven't read my article about Eternal Idol, eh? I have a version of the Shining with Ray Gillen on it.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/20...look_back.html

Did Dehumanizer with Tony Martin ever progress beyond rough demos? As I understand it, Tony Iommi had him "on standby" in case Dio didn't work out.
                              Wrong way. It was recorded with Dio, Tony Martin came back at one point, and re-recorded it like he did with Eternal Idol, then they decided to go with Dio anyway. So it exists somewhere with Martin on vocals. It has never turned up, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X