Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Gillan, Iommi, and Butler formed a new group... Who should drum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Gillan, Iommi, and Butler formed a new group... Who should drum?

This is inspired by the "If not Bev Bavan, than who?" thread. Let's say Gillan, Iommi, and Butler decided to form a Born Again band/project or whatever... (It wouldn't be called Black Sabbath) then who should drum? I'm already gonna go ahead and say that Bill Ward is gonna take a pass on it since he passed on Heaven and Hell and obviously doesn't want to work with Iommi and Butler unless Ozzy is involved. So should they get Bev Bevan back? (Is he even free right now) Or should they go for another drummer. Personally I think I'd rather see another drummer join this hypothetical line up.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Ellbery and I were just commenting on Eric Singer in the Vinnie Appice thread. After listening to Seventh Star several times in the last couple of weeks, I think Singer would be an almost ideal fit for Ian, depending on where his voice is. If it is closer to where it was for "Dreamcatcher", then that changes things. I know he is tied up with kiss, but... c'mon Eric! Come back to the fold and help deliver a monster!!

If not Singer: ???

Vinnie Paul Abbott
    Dave Grohl
    Tommy Aldridge
    Lee Kerslake

It's going to be interesting.
    Last edited by IommiRules; 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled Tommy's last name
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

How about Simon Wright?
      "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

I would love to hear what this would sound like with Ian Paice on the drums, and really make it "Black Purple". This probably wouldn't happen but I am picturing something that lands somewhere between "Black Night" and "Fairies Wear Boots" and boy would it be cool.

Comment

PLEASE, not Ian Paice, as I really don't want to see Iommi/Butler doing DP songs. Although, if they made a new record, they could tour and combine 9-11 new songs + Born Again and still have a potent show. Ian shouldn't have to sing Paranoid or H&H, and Iommi/Butler shouldn't be pounding out Smoke or Child In Time. IMO
          The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
          The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
          As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
          We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
            PLEASE, not Ian Paice, as I really don't want to see Iommi/Butler doing DP songs. Although, if they made a new record, they could tour and combine 9-11 new songs + Born Again and still have a potent show. Ian shouldn't have to sing Paranoid or H&H, and Iommi/Butler shouldn't be pounding out Smoke or Child In Time. IMO
            Oh I totally agree it should strictly be new material. I just really think that would be a cool band.

Comment

If they do a new record and use a new name, then I have no problem Ian Paice on drums. I think that would be a very cool, intersting sound. The mix of Purple and Sabbath would work IMO. Although I do agree that if they toured, they should do mostly new material, you know a Sabbath tune or 2 or a Purple tune or 2 will be featured in the set list.
              "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Bill Ward.

I know the OP said not to pick him but IMO, he's the only drummer for Iommi and Butler.

Comment

Someone with siginificant technical ability would be refreshing for a change. Neil Peart comes to mind but it's anyone's guess what such a lineup would sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZero View Post
                    Someone with siginificant technical ability would be refreshing for a change. Neil Peart comes to mind but it's anyone's guess what such a lineup would sound like.
                    Peart is my fav drummer and Rush my fav band, but I can't see him working. I like the idea of Ward or Paice though. Rondinelli would be cool.
                    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Comment

BOBBY RONDINELLI
                      Ginger Baker
                      Nick Mason
                      Danny Carey
                      Deen Castranova
                      Lee Kerslake

Comment

Why, Phil Collins of course!

Seriously though? Any durmmer friend I have so I could borrow cash from them.

Comment

Bill or Vinny

i would pick Bill Ward if he didnt want to do it then i would get Vinny Appice

Comment

ME!

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                              Bill Ward.

I know the OP said not to pick him but IMO, he's the only drummer for Iommi and Butler.
                              Well I said to not Pick Bill with good reason. Does any body here honestly think that Bill would join Gillan, Iommi, and Butler? I mean he wouldn't join Dio, Iommi, and Butler, so that to me shows he's quite clear that he won't join unless it's Osbourne on vocals.
                              I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Working...
                              X