Born Again Tour Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born Again Tour Thoughts

Being at a concert of this tour definitely ranks up there as one of the best times I've ever had in my life. They were on fire.
    The biggest surprise of the night was when they came out for an encore and broke into "Smoke on the Water".

a couple years ago I found this YouTube video (audio only) of them doing this song. I was even more blown away when I realized that it was from the very concert I was at. It brought back a lot of memories. Wierd thinking that it's me and my buddies screaming in this audio.
    They rocked this song. here's the yt vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD_nKASvCtk
    "There's no need to have a reason...there's no need to wonder why"

Rock n Roll Doctor on the Born Again tour

It seems they did this song at practically every show on the Born Again. Has anyone read any interviews concerning the set list of this tour. This just seems like kind of an obscure song to do. Maybe Ian liked this song.

Anyway, I'm not really expecting to get an answer to this as it
    is a very obscure question.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
      It seems they did this song at practically every show on the Born Again. Has anyone read any interviews concerning the set list of this tour. This just seems like kind of an obscure song to do. Maybe Ian liked this song.

Anyway, I'm not really expecting to get an answer to this as it
      is a very obscure question.
      I noticed that. I don't have any facts but I agree that maybe Ian liked the song. Seems like something he would like.
      Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Who said it was Ian? Tony & Geezer may have wanted to pull out an obscure song.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates/1983/index.html
        Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
        View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

The Worcester gig was broadcast on FM radio nationwide around then. I remember it well, as I saw them in Philadelphia on that tour too (as did Damien here). It's highly bootlegged, but it was professionally recorded, and broadcast, so the quality is supremely high.
          Last edited by Joe Siegler; 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I heard that they had someone dressed up like the baby on the cover on stage.

Do you remember seeing that?

Comment

I heard that they had someone dressed up like the baby on the cover on stage.
              That only happened on the few few gigs and was dropped. Those stories are famous, but the band REALLY didn't like it. That was all Don Arden's idea.

Comment

Does anyone know the name of the guy in the costume?
                Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
                I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
                I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                  The Worcester gig was broadcast on FM radio nationwide around then. I remember it well, as I saw them in Philadelphia on that tour too (as did Damien here). It's highly bootlegged, but it was professionally recorded, and broadcast, so the quality is supremely high.
                  After thinking about it, I had to break it out and listen. Forgot how much I liked Ian doing some of the classics. His voice didn't mesh with all of them (sonically he's nothing like Dio or Ozzy). However, I think he does the song "Black Sabbath" better than any other vocalist that's ever been in the band, including Ozzy. I know a lot of fans think that's sacrilege, but listen to him doing it. It just "works" better for me.

Comment

That only happened on the few few gigs and was dropped. Those stories are famous, but the band REALLY didn't like it. That was all Don Arden's idea.
                    I'd love to see a picture of him. Is there one in the Born Again concert program?

Have you ever come across any picture of him?

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

After thinking about it, I had to break it out and listen. Forgot how much I liked Ian doing some of the classics. His voice didn't mesh with all of them (sonically he's nothing like Dio or Ozzy). However, I think he does the song "Black Sabbath" better than any other vocalist that's ever been in the band, including Ozzy. I know a lot of fans think that's sacrilege, but listen to him doing it. It just "works" better for me.
                    I agree Ian really did a great job on the song "Black Sabbath", definitely the best version.

I think Ian did a pretty good job on "Heave and Hell" even though he sounds a little shaky at the beginning and he mangles the lyrics a little bit, he sounds particularly good during the bridge.

Comment

Just listining to the Gillan Tapes,He does great on the ozzy stuff. This was a great tour. Cant wait for the Deluxe cd to add to my collection!
                      R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

Comment

I'd love to see a picture of him. Is there one in the Born Again concert program?

Have you ever come across any picture of him?
                        I don't recall ever actually seeing a picture of that. Geezer has said it came off as rather silly in person. Wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally squashed pictures of that.

I have the Born Again tour program still from the gig I saw back in the day (Nov 5, 1983). It's packed away though. Not sure where at the moment. I'd have to dig it out and look, but memory says that is NOT in there.

Several of the pictures from that program are also in the deluxe edition booklet, too.

Man, since the Worcester, MA recording was professional, and gone out on FM radio, this has some good sonic punch, unlike most live bootlegs. I hesitate to call the Worcester show a bootleg, as it technically isn't, but man, the bass on my subwoofers is getting a workout here, where they don't on most bootlegs.
                        Last edited by Joe Siegler; 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Man, since the Worcester, MA recording was professional, and gone out on FM radio, this has some good sonic punch, unlike most live bootlegs. I hesitate to call the Worcester show a bootleg, as it technically isn't, but man, the bass on my subwoofers is getting a workout here, where they don't on most bootlegs.
                          Professionally recorded, well that explains the excellent sound quality of that YouTube video I linked.

As for the guy in the costume, I may just be imagining it and I probably am because it was so long ago but I think I remember my friends and I cracking up when we saw this small guy dressed in what looked like a devil's costume running around on stage.

*the only thing that depressed me a little about this concert was when I saw that Bill Ward wasn't on drums. Bev Bevan did an excellent job though and anyone who has the balls to play with Iommi, Butler and Gillan is ok in my book.

I'm so glad that they did this short stint with Gillan, "Disturbing the Priest" is one of my all-time favorite songs, it's beyond sick in every way. And the solo that Iommi does in "Zero the Hero" is incredible.
                          Last edited by gl797; 04-15-2011, 04:27 AM.
                          "There's no need to have a reason...there's no need to wonder why"

Comment

I saw Sabbath live for the 1st time on this Tour. It was in Toronto, at Maple Leaf Gardens in October 1983. And I remember them playing Smoke on the Water, too.

To be honest, my friend I saw the show with and I both couldn't really get into the show. We both went to see Dio live a couple months later and I for one was better entertained by that show.

Ted

Comment

I saw the show in November of '83. It was my first major concert, and what an event it was! They still had the little devil running around when I saw them. Me and a buddy of mine who went to the show with me always talk about the little devil when reminiscing about it. It was a long time ago, but my memories of it is that it was quite amazing. Me and my buddy both remember being impressed with how Ian sang the Ozzy and even Dio era songs. And of course we were surprised, and thrilled, when the band broke into Smoke on the Water. It was great music, great theatrics, and of course a great time. I absolutely love the idea that Tony and Ian have collaborated on a couple songs all these years later.

Comment

Working...
                              X