No announcement yet.

Born Again Tour Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nov 5, 1983 in Philadelphia is when I saw this. No kid dressed up in the devil baby thing, that had been dropped by then.

One interesting factoid about the Philly Born Again show. At that time it was about 4-5 years since the Who concert in Cincinnati where a bunch of kids got trampled to death due to there being no floor seating and the mad rush. After that Who show, nowhere in the US had "no seat" seating for years. The first concert anywhere after that to try it was.. you guessed it. Black Sabbath - Nov 5, 1983 in Philly.

I got to the (now demolished) Spectrum about eight hours before the show started. Hung out, had fun. When they opened the gates, I was all the way down the front. Right up against the wall. But I'll tell you. I felt like I was going to be crushed. I was seriously uncomfortable, and it was still two hours before Quiet Riot took the stage, much less Black Sabbath.

So I bailed out and watched from further back to be more comfortable.

Also, check out these couple of amusing mp3's from Philly radio that day:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/sounds/...d_Bev_WYSP.mp3

http://www.black-sabbath.com/sounds/...ladelphia).mp3

http://www.black-sabbath.com/sounds/...Ian_(WYSP).mp3
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I seen the show in Nov. '83, My first Sabbath concert, and about 4th or 5th overall, I think they still had the devil baby. I remember the big lighted cross coming down during either Heaven and Hell or Sign of the Southern Cross. And when they came out with Smoke on the Water, it was excellent!, this was before the Deep Purple reunion, so it was almost 10 years since you could see Ian rockin this out, I did end up seeing him do this w/ the reunion. I wasn't a big Quiet Riot fan but Carlos Cavazo's guitar solo rocked, he bounced the sound around the arena pretty cool. Also Quiet Riot's album was #1, the first for a Heavy Metal act, back when Metal Ruled the World!

Comment

First post - greetings fellow Sabbath lovers!

November 2, 1983 - Cap Centre in Largo, MD - my first Sabbath concert and still one of the loudest shows I've ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Tide View Post
          First post - greetings fellow Sabbath lovers!

November 2, 1983 - Cap Centre in Largo, MD - my first Sabbath concert and still one of the loudest shows I've ever seen!
          I was at the Worcester, MA show back in '83, was 16 yrs old at the time!

I can vouch for the loudness though....

I have seen Sabbath probably at least 10 times since then, and Iommi's sound that night was the best I've ever heard from him. So clear, heavy and loud that you could actually FEEL the weight of the music pressing against your chest.

Also, I remember at the beginning of Iron Man, a couple of roadies dressed in cloaks marched out on stage, pulled back a curtain on the drum riser to reveal an array of brilliantly lit crosses (to thunderous applause which you can hear on the bootleg just before the opening chord is struck)
          Last edited by buckethead; 04-30-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
            After thinking about it, I had to break it out and listen. Forgot how much I liked Ian doing some of the classics. His voice didn't mesh with all of them (sonically he's nothing like Dio or Ozzy). However, I think he does the song "Black Sabbath" better than any other vocalist that's ever been in the band, including Ozzy. I know a lot of fans think that's sacrilege, but listen to him doing it. It just "works" better for me.
            The BA tour was great. I have several boots and love them all. Gillan's peformances of the Ozzy era songs are the best ever. Black Sabbath - the song, will never be sung like that. The Reading Festival version is my personal favorite. War Pigs is also fantastic in his voice. Heaven and Hell is also outstanding. I don't think it is better than Dio's, but definitely different and equally great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by buckethead View Post
              Also, I remember at the beginning of Iron Man, a couple of roadies dressed in cloaks marched out on stage, pulled back a curtain on the drum riser to reveal an array of brilliantly lit crosses (to thunderous applause which you can hear on the bootleg just before the opening chord is struck)
              This can be seen on the bootleg video for the Montreal show as well, really cool effect!
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
              -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
              - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
              http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

The live versions I've heard sound great, but Gillan sounds truly hilarious when singing Supernaut, H&H and Neon Knights Those songs just don't fit his unique voice at all.
                "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                  The live versions I've heard sound great, but Gillan sounds truly hilarious when singing Supernaut, H&H and Neon Knights Those songs just don't fit his unique voice at all.
                  I agree, same with Dio singing any Ozzy material. Gillan did an excellent job on the song Black Sabbath but everything else just doesn't compare imo.
                  "There's no need to have a reason...there's no need to wonder why"

Comment

sell dumps , track 1 track 2

Прикольно Можно сказать, это взорвало мой мозг!
                    ______
                    track real - not generations , u can try 1pcs and look

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                      I actually really like Ian's rendition of Supernaut. But he really wasn't suited for Heaven And Hell though that's true. And Neon Knights was somewhere in between.

Comment

listening to Disc 2 of Born Again now .... Gillian is fuking smoking it as are rest of the guys, pity they did'nt tour Down Under in 83 :(

Comment

Lo, this humble knight did experience ye "Born Again" performance in ye southwesterly American village of Tucson, Arizona! Aye, ye infant demon did doth appeareth!

Before Lords Sabbath took ye stage, as ye amphitheater consume'thd in darkness, a babe's cry was heard throughout ye venue! Stage darkness gave way to light, and ye infant demon strode upon ye stage! This knight's recollection be'ith clouded by time's fog, yet methinks this demonic toddler did sport a diaper!

Another element to this demonic scene which this knight's memory is uncertain: ye hellspawn babe may have marched across ye tops of Stonehenge's very pillars (or below on ye stage itself, mine recollection be'ith unclear!)!

Ye suckling Satan-spawn took his leave, and the Lords Sabbath took ye stage; and did doth proceed to conjure a musical storm of metal that laid waste to every grateful attendee!

Verily, brothers and sisters of Sabbath, ye amplitude of sound was so mighty that ye structural integrity of this venue was most certainly put to ye test!

This post now concludeth!
                          Last edited by Ye Black Knight; 06-12-2011, 04:07 AM.
                          FRIENDS IN SABBATH! BEHOLD THIS KNIGHT'S WEB-TALES BY EN'CLICKING UPON YE LINK, HITHER:
                          www.heavymetalsuperstar.com

Comment

ROFL!!!! At the Black Knight.
                            Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Comment

Working...
                            X