X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best things about Gillen Sabbath:
    1. Great vocal range
    2. Never out of tune live
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
      Very true, Linda. Bear in mind though, at one point in 1993 Ray Gillen was apparently offered the vocal position on what would become Cross Purposes. I love what Tony Martin did on the album, but it's interesting to think about what Ray might have done on it, given the opportunity.
      Wow, I never heard about that! Can you name any sources for that information? Surprising for me, since Tony Iommi was apparently not satisfied with Ray's writing of (or problems to write) lyrics for Eternal Idol, and surely not with his sudden departure to Badlands. On the other hand, at least the lyrics were probable not expected to be a problem on CP since Geezer was on board...

Now I am phantasizing: imagine a Deluxe Expanded Edition of Cross Purposes, incl. as bonus disc the complete CP demos with Ray Gillen on vocals...

... but then again: I think Tony Martin's voice was perfect for the songs on CP - well, on the studio record. I Witness or Psychophobia with Ray Gillen on vocals? Maybe - not sure. The CP live tour, of course, was the beginning of the end for Tony's abilities as a live singer... too bad. Ray would certainly have impressed more than Tony M. on that or the Forbidden tour, no doubt for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbabbath View Post
        Now I am phantasizing: imagine a Deluxe Expanded Edition of Cross Purposes, incl. as bonus disc the complete CP demos with Ray Gillen on vocals...
        No such thing exists. It was talks at most, if barely even that...most certainly Ray was never EVER in the band at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
          No such thing exists. It was talks at most, if barely even that...most certainly Ray was never EVER in the band at that time.
          Yeah, I guessed that even if some collaboration with Ray was considered or even tried out at that point, it probably didn't go very far. Thanks for confirming that, Charger! Still curious if there are any sources (books, websites, interviews...) indicating Ray way possibly considered? I am surprised I never heard about this issue before.

Comment

Wow, I never heard about that! Can you name any sources for that information? Surprising for me, since Tony Iommi was apparently not satisfied with Ray's writing of (or problems to write) lyrics for Eternal Idol, and surely not with his sudden departure to Badlands. On the other hand, at least the lyrics were probable not expected to be a problem on CP since Geezer was on board...

... but then again: I think Tony Martin's voice was perfect for the songs on CP - well, on the studio record. I Witness or Psychophobia with Ray Gillen on vocals? Maybe - not sure. The CP live tour, of course, was the beginning of the end for Tony's abilities as a live singer... too bad. Ray would certainly have impressed more than Tony M. on that or the Forbidden tour, no doubt for me.
            http://edtradernet.weebly.com/the-ha...e-purpose.html
            The information itself came from Al Romano, Ray's bandmate in Sun Red Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
              http://edtradernet.weebly.com/the-ha...e-purpose.html
              The information itself came from Al Romano, Ray's bandmate in Sun Red Sun.

Interesting read, thank you for the link! Some details I didn't know indeed.

Comment

Great read Sweet, thank you for the article.
                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Interesting read, thank you for the link! Some details I didn't know indeed.
                  Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                  Great read Sweet, thank you for the article.
                  You're both very welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by EDTRADER View Post
                    I always think about Eric Singer and Glenn Hughes saying he denied having AIDS. And continued having unprotected sex. Glenn expressed that Ray told him he didn't have AIDS straight to his face.
                    really never heard that one , denial is probaby reason , you know the very last time i was with him ,i noticed he had a cough,and i told him "better quit them cigs" and he said i dont smoke and said i dont have a cold either ,it did'nt register in my head until ,i heard of his passing ,so sad , i'll miss him and his music and friendship ,i think of him often ,god bless you ray. here is somehing i posted

Comment

just made this ,came out cool -check it out

Comment

Been listening to Ray Gillen all day today and I still can’t get over the fact that he was the only Sabbath singer that could sing every Sabbath era perfectly, the only one who could.

I bought the Black Sabbath 1986-04-01 Montreal Audience show DVD, and he was excellent, he sang Glenn’s songs live better then Glenn himself.

This was 35 years ago, how time flies.
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                          Been listening to Ray Gillen all day today and I still can’t get over the fact that he was the only Sabbath singer that could sing every Sabbath era perfectly, the only one who could.

I bought the Black Sabbath 1986-04-01 Montreal Audience show DVD, and he was excellent, he sang Glenn’s songs live better then Glenn himself.

This was 35 years ago, how time flies.
                          Ray is Sabbath at their very best!

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

Ray is Sabbath at their very best!
                            Doc, I never heard such a beautiful voice that could sing every era so well and at times better than the originals.

Comment

Working...
                            X