Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Poll: best Sabbath singer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Ian Gillan too but i can't compare him Freddie Mercury and Elvis Presley. Two of the greatest singers and frontmen ever.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpio 2000 View Post
      I like Ian Gillan too but i can't compare him Freddie Mercury and Elvis Presley. Two of the greatest singers and frontmen ever.
      No disrespect meant.... but thatīs probably because of lack of knowledge of IGīs whole career - not only from Deep Purple. Dont you think that gems from his solo career like Fighting Man, Men Of War, Born To Kill, Abbey Of Thelema (who other than IG in absolute peak would be able to sing this one?! Simple answer - noone!), BBC live version of If You Believe or You Make Me Feel So Good are putting him into that league? I think that he belongs to this absolute top league just because of original Jesus Christ Superstar only, itīs more than enough - masterpiece recorded in 4 hours.

Comment

My personal favourite is Ozzy. But I think all lineups have some great songs. Dio, Gillan, Hughes, and Martin are great singers, too. The others are probably all technically 'better' singers than Ozz.

Comment

I think Martin put in more than even Dio, if you listen to his melodies and phrasing. His 'originality' or charisma is not as obvious as say Ozzy's right off but he has his own thing going, despite the somewhat generic quality of his style.

Anno Mundi, Eternal Idol, Nightwing, all incredible singing.

I also rate him as a superior songwriter and melodic person to the others.

Comment

People again confuse "Best" with "Favourite" here....which is why topics like these are flawed to begin with and only cause strife...because of the mixing up of those two terms.

When talking about technical ability and talent every single singer in Sabbath's history beats Ozzy....there is no denying that. They all had better range and much more variety.

In terms of uniqueness I think the top three are Ozzy, Ronnie and Ian. They are had a voice that is instantly recognizable. Tony although obviously being extremely talented singer has a bit more "common" type of voice than the others...Ray had some serious pipes but his style didn't suit the Sabbath sound at all....and Glenn...well...you all know how I feel about him..

But when talking about a voice that fits best for Sabbath music...well it would sort of be daft not to say Ozzy since he was the original one....but that has really nothing to do with being the "best" singer now does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
              People again confuse "Best" with "Favourite" here....which is why topics like these are flawed to begin with and only cause strife...because of the mixing up of those two terms.

When talking about technical ability and talent every single singer in Sabbath's history beats Ozzy....there is no denying that. They all had better range and much more variety.

In terms of uniqueness I think the top three are Ozzy, Ronnie and Ian. They are had a voice that is instantly recognizable. Tony although obviously being extremely talented singer has a bit more "common" type of voice than the others...Ray had some serious pipes but his style didn't suit the Sabbath sound at all....and Glenn...well...you all know how I feel about him..

But when talking about a voice that fits best for Sabbath music...well it would sort of be daft not to say Ozzy since he was the original one....but that has really nothing to do with being the "best" singer now does it?

Ozzy is my favorite, Dio is the best. They are all great singers, though, especially Martin and Gillan.
              You tried to suppress me
              But nothing holds me down
              Just when you think you're happy
              I come around

Comment

this . Charger is my friend ... despite I'm a big fan of Seventh Star

Comment

There are many ways of looking at something. And just because someone was there first doesn't mean they were the best fit ... unless you want to think of Sabbath as a doom and heavy band like on the first few albums. Ozzy might not even have been the best fit for TE and NSD, let alone the band they became later. There is no definitive Sabbath, where one moment is objectively more true than another.

Comment

Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
                    this . Charger is my friend ... despite I'm a big fan of Seventh Star
                    Oh buddy you know I don't hold that against you!

And yes SCS you are absolutely right. There are a lot of examples of bands who had the wrong singer first time around (Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Deep Purple, Anthrax and so on). However I do not think Sabbath was one of them. Everyone here knows that I prefer the Ronnie James Dio fronted version of Sabbath slightly, but it doesn't mean I don't love the first albums too nor that I wouldn't like Ozzy.

Comment

Oh buddy you know I don't hold that against you!

And yes SCS you are absolutely right. There are a lot of examples of bands who had the wrong singer first time around (Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Deep Purple, Anthrax and so on). However I do not think Sabbath was one of them. Everyone here knows that I prefer the Ronnie James Dio fronted version of Sabbath slightly, but it doesn't mean I don't love the first albums too nor that I wouldn't like Ozzy.
                      Well see, now that is a point of view when you say Maiden had the wrong guy the first time, a lot of us would disagree. But I can see the logic in how Bruce might also be the most suitable guy, but that comes from a shift in perspective. I think we pressure ourselves to be objective and therefore be 'right' when really such a thing doesn't really exist most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
                        Well see, now that is a point of view when you say Maiden had the wrong guy the first time, a lot of us would disagree. But I can see the logic in how Bruce might also be the most suitable guy, but that comes from a shift in perspective. I think we pressure ourselves to be objective and therefore be 'right' when really such a thing doesn't really exist most of the time.
                        Very true indeed. However DiAnno pushed Maiden in the wrong direction as he wanted them to be more of a punk band than a Metal band and that's wasn't the direction Maiden wanted to go, so looking at it from that side he was the wrong guy for the job and thus was replaced. Also his vocals weren't a necessarily right for Maiden's overall sound to begin with. That being said I do very much like the first album.

Comment

Very true indeed. However DiAnno pushed Maiden in the wrong direction as he wanted them to be more of a punk band than a Metal band and that's wasn't the direction Maiden wanted to go, so looking at it from that side he was the wrong guy for the job and thus was replaced. Also his vocals weren't a necessarily right for Maiden's overall sound to begin with. That being said I do very much like the first album.
                          That's a subject all of it's own. The Maiden sound is mostly Harris' work and you could say it was his band. But thanks to him and Smallwood, they drove away so many talented people. Substance abuse mostly comes from lifestyle, not the other way round; anyone would hit the booze dealing with that crap. Di'anno, Clive, Stratton, then finally Bruce and Adrian all got tired of it. If Harris had not been such a control freak I bet they would have been far better instead of having that calculated sound they developed. It got more and more noticeable as time went on.

That first album has just the right members, even Stratton who to me is superior to both Adrian and Dave. Harris is such a control freak that he can't even admit that Maiden had a punk influence at all on the first two. He's the Genghis Khan of music. Personally, I like Di'anno's Battlezone more than late 80s Maiden.

Comment

Best Sabbath singer: Ozzy
                            Best singer overall: Probably Ian Gillan

Comment

DIO is and will always be the greatest singer ever.
                              www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

Very obviously, the best and greatest singer was Tony Martin.
                                Anybody who disagrees is completely insane, uneducated and more than likely in league with Satan himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X