Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Black Sabbath album without Ozzy or Dio

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Definitely Cross Purposes. So many great riffs on that one.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
      Btw, cool to see so many go for BA. Doesn't seem that long ago it was Sabbaths most hated album along Never Say Die!, 7th Star and Forbidden...
      Although Born Again is not a favorite of mine, I do like it, and I'm with you in liking the fact it's not as reviled as it used to be. I've never felt it deserved all the hate it got (same could be said about Never Say Die and Forbidden... I haven't listened to Seventh Star in a LONG time, but I always hated it).
      Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by OIM View Post
        Going by the result of this, Eternal Idol must be considered the worst Sabbath record
        My good brother , that's the beauty with Sabbath , the luxury of diverse thought ... regardless of the over all consensus of this particular forum and its collection of members ,,, One may just as easily take this thread question as if both the Dio era and Ozzy era round out the bottom half of Sabbath greatness...

        .... Leaving the Martin , Hughes and Ian era's to represent the very best Sabbath has to offer.

        .... So to answer the question at hand ,,, easily Headless Cross , Iommi , Fused , Born Again and "Yep" you guessed it ,, an album I rank ahead of such stellar releases as Mob Rules , 7th Star , Paranoid , Cross purposes and many others ,, "THE" Eternal Idol!!

        ... In fact those 5 gems would all be in the top ten Sabbath albums of all time.

        "Just a thought"


        Peace n Love , OIM

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by OIM View Post
          Going by the result of this, Eternal Idol must be considered the worst Sabbath record
          What on earth would give you that idea?

          The topic at hand is what's the FAVOURITE post Ozzy-Ronnie era album.

          So by your logic then if something isn't your favourite it has to be the worst??? What kind of hillbilly dumbass logic is that???

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
            My good brother , that's the beauty with Sabbath , the luxury of diverse thought ... regardless of the over all consensus of this particular forum and its collection of members ,,, One may just as easily take this thread question as if both the Dio era and Ozzy era round out the bottom half of Sabbath greatness...

            .... Leaving the Martin , Hughes and Ian era's to represent the very best Sabbath has to offer.

            .... So to answer the question at hand ,,, easily Headless Cross , Iommi , Fused , Born Again and "Yep" you guessed it ,, an album I rank ahead of such stellar releases as Mob Rules , 7th Star , Paranoid , Cross purposes and many others ,, "THE" Eternal Idol!!

            ... In fact those 5 gems would all be in the top ten Sabbath albums of all time.

            "Just a thought"


            Peace n Love , OIM
            Well said doc

            Seventh Star followed by forbidden and dep

            Comment


            • #21
              Cross Purposes.

              You guys, with your "Born Again" lol Sorry...

              "Zero the Hero" Is really all that album has to offer.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                Born Again, & Cross Purposes.
                This for me too.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                  Cross Purposes. You guys, with your "Born Again" lol Sorry... "Zero the Hero" Is really all that album has to offer.
                  At least it brought back some humor. The Zero the Hero video for instance is hilarious

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Born Again

                    Headless Cross
                    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post

                      "Zero the Hero" Is really all that album has to offer.
                      It was between explaining / proving to my man Wall that Sabbath's music beyond 78 through 13 , including everything in between , has plenty of "light / dark" - "fast / slow" - "start / stop" - "soft / heavy" .... loaded with tempo shades .... as I was about to share this with him , songs such as "Sabbath Stones" - "I Go Insane" - "From Another World" - and countless others started to fly through my brain at a rate of a track for every second ,, and when "Disturbing the Priest" went through my skull ,, I decided to come here instead and ask you this ....

                      .... I can think of prolific reasons why side one to Born Again revivals the best album side's Sabbath has to offer ,,, even the legendary 20 minutes and 24 seconds to open the timeless Sabotage release ;; at the same time - I can take 4 tracks off of Born Again , and express there worth up against practically any 4 tracks found from anywhere else through out the Sabbath catalog. As I know you can.


                      .... now what I ask you - is not a challenge or a contest of any sorts ... i just want to learn ,, prove to me through logic and cordination ,, without putting down , but explaining with merit the tracks I mention up against any other 4 of your choice ....

                      ... example ,,,,, today I was breaking down the differences between what are all the reasons that separates Zeitgeist from Planet Caravan ,,, and comparing 3 different versions / recordings of War Pigs on SACD , DVD-A and CD against each other ,,, as doing this , Ralph walks in and ask "Doc you truly feel Eternal Idol is rated higher than Paranoid" ,, my answer was simply "I like it better" ,,, he then asked me "Why?"

                      ... Wow , what a question ,,, especially up against the most perfect album (Paranoid) ever released ,, the album that solidified the creation of an entire genre ,, and was so magical , it put that genre on the map , so to speak , for eternity ,, an album I love , respect and appreciate more than most anyone.

                      ... well ,, when I hear the innocent , minor , dark beauty and sorrow of a track such as "Scarlet Pimpernel" ,, it takes me places other impeccable tracks - just can't. ,,, and Pimpernel is surpassed by 3 other gems from this magical release (Eternal Idol).

                      ... So i ask you this , give me 4 up against the tour De force , that is - DTP , BORN AGAIN , ZERO THE HERO and KEEP IT WARM ,,,, and why? ,, the key , do it with merit and worth , deservingly.

                      ... or not


                      God Bless , William_the_Bloody

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The Eternal Idol and Born Again

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Back To Eden:

                          I'd love to wax eloquent as per your request, however, in all honesty I can't possibly justify spending any amount of time breaking down the game film of "Born Again" as the songs simply fail to resonate with me on any level. From the music, to the melodies, to the production value and Iommi's tone, to the drums sounding like an old-fashioned typewriter...from the lyrics and their themes to Ian's voice...it fails for me at all levels, except for "Zero the Hero" where it all comes together rather nicely and reminds me of Black Sabbath while still being fresh for it's time.

                          "Born Again" the song has a nice chorus with a lot of emotion and passion but the rest of the song is mucking about.
                          "DTP" is just non-musical I just can't even.
                          "KIW" is a chick song, and (I suspect) might be about a man who is on the road a lot. (Insert gagging sound here)

                          I think that if you are of the age where Deep Purple found it's way to you before Black Sabbath, and you have a full-on raging boner for Deep Purple than you are going to be predisposed to accredit all sorts of extra points to "Born Again" but I had the reverse...I bought "Born Again" at age 14 or so, not really knowing much of anything about Gillan or DP and then checked out Deep Purple.

                          From that perspective you really see that Gillan brought out the worst in Sabbath, and Sabbath brought out the worst of Gillan.

                          It stinks.

                          Sorry.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Born Again.
                            You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                            Phil, your head's all full of lice!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                              Back To Eden:

                              I'd love to wax eloquent as per your request, however, in all honesty I can't possibly justify spending any amount of time breaking down the game film of "Born Again" as the songs simply fail to resonate with me on any level. From the music, to the melodies, to the production value and Iommi's tone, to the drums sounding like an old-fashioned typewriter...from the lyrics and their themes to Ian's voice...it fails for me at all levels, except for "Zero the Hero" where it all comes together rather nicely and reminds me of Black Sabbath while still being fresh for it's time.

                              "Born Again" the song has a nice chorus with a lot of emotion and passion but the rest of the song is mucking about.
                              "DTP" is just non-musical I just can't even.
                              "KIW" is a chick song, and (I suspect) might be about a man who is on the road a lot. (Insert gagging sound here)

                              I think that if you are of the age where Deep Purple found it's way to you before Black Sabbath, and you have a full-on raging boner for Deep Purple than you are going to be predisposed to accredit all sorts of extra points to "Born Again" but I had the reverse...I bought "Born Again" at age 14 or so, not really knowing much of anything about Gillan or DP and then checked out Deep Purple.

                              From that perspective you really see that Gillan brought out the worst in Sabbath, and Sabbath brought out the worst of Gillan.

                              It stinks.

                              Sorry.
                              Hey , thanks for trying brother ,, that's what is so special about Sabbath - so much to offer , just sorry your missing that point here ,,, the tracks are nothing short of sheer brilliance ... it's like loving Sabotage but not understanding how someone else may love SBS or Dehumanizer more ,, Born Again has that same affect ... makes me scratch my head , , , with this release Sabbath became one step closer to legendary "musical" immortality.

                              .... thank goodness Born Again , SBS , Vol 4 , Dehumanizer and Sabotage ... have all found a home within my musical grey matter ,,, gots to love me some Black Sabbath!

                              Til next time ,,, peace

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                                Born Again, & Cross Purposes.
                                This for me as well. Born Again is the most like the original eight and Cross Purposes finds Martin at his best. The riffs on both are classic on shows Tony at the top of his game. The song Born Again is my favorite Sabbath song outside of the Ozzy Era too.
                                Religion won't save me
                                The damage is done
                                The future has ended
                                Before it's begun
                                - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X