No announcement yet.

Favorite Black Sabbath album without Ozzy or Dio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born Again. Tony, Geezer, Bill, and Ian Gillan produce a Black Sabbath sound not rivaled by lineups fronted by Tony and a revolving cast.

Comment

Close run thing between Headless Cross and Tyr. I think Tyr just edges it, but I`ve always disliked Feels Good To Me. Totally out of place on this album!

Comment

'Born Again' easy. Prefer it way more than the previous 3 studio albums.
        It would go something like this:
        1. Born Again
        2. Heaven and Hell
        3. Never Say Die
        4. Mob Rules.

When I first heard about the so-called 'Deep Sabbath' lineup I was simultaneously intrigued and a little worried, but it turned out pretty good. They had by that stage lost their 'feel' or as I call it, original intent especially with the Dio records (as good as H&H is). And of course Born Again doesn't live up to the original vibe of the original run (and it never could), but it has a touch of it. There is a gloomy foggy English-ness that was missing from the last few records and a bit of a return to the despair inherent in the earlier works. Some may see that as regression, I see it as rediscovering themselves a little more. I've spoken about it before, but the changing of members had not only created a change in sound, but (perhaps more importantly) the intention and 'feel' was altered. Dio was a great vocalist/lyricist, but in a very theatrical, slightly more macho, traditional 'metal' way. He forged his own path and vision of what Sabbath could be...and that's totally fine and good on him. But for me what was lacking was a sense of despair and melancholy. There was a lot more about projection of power, fantasy and darkness and less about despair and bleakness which was inherent in the Ozzy years.
        My five cents.
        There is something important to be said

Comment

^^^ You just put some nice diplomatic wordings i haven't found myself yet to explain why i'm not too keen on Dio-Sabbath. Thanx
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
          Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

The Eternal Idol

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
              ^^^ You just put some nice diplomatic wordings i haven't found myself yet to explain why i'm not too keen on Dio-Sabbath. Thanx
              No problem!
              There is something important to be said

Comment

My rankings and ratings for the post Dio era...

1. The Eternal Idol (5/5)
                2. Cross Purposes (4.25/5)
                3. Tyr (4.25/5)
                4. Born Again (4.25/5)
                5. Seventh Star (4/5)
                6. Headless Cross (3.75/5)
                7. Forbidden (3/5)

The Top 4 above would all be in my overall Sabbath Top 10 Albums list...

Comment

Eternal Idol, Born Again, Headless Cross

Comment

Eternal Idol
                    Seventh Star
                    Headless Cross
                    Born Again
                    Cross Purposes
                    TYR
                    Forbidden

Comment

Ward One: Along the Way
                      You bought and sold me with your lying words.
                      Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Comment

IMHO there's only one album to choose from:

Born Again

Ted

Comment

wow Post Dio... none stand out to my ears... pretty basic hard rock 80's type metal stuff... very generic actually.. formulated for the most part... I'd have to say Cross Purposes.. Born Again turned out to be an Abortion...
                          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

Changes now and then. It was Born Again for a good while, now I have no one particular like.

Say TYR, Cross P, H Cross

... typing this, I just realized for the first time ever that Sabbath has two albums with 'Cross' in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
                              Changes now and then. It was Born Again for a good while, now I have no one particular like. Say TYR, Cross P, H Cross ... typing this, I just realized for the first time ever that Sabbath has two albums with 'Cross' in it.
                              Cool Ron!!!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by OIM View Post
                                Cool Ron!!!!!1
                                You get enjoyment out of things don't you OIM?
                                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                                X