Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on release history of 'Born Again'

Hello folks

I just registered on here as a very recent new fan of Black Sabbath. I encountered the sond 'Born Again' on youtube one day and it made me an instant fan.

As a collector of cd's I'm trying to discover the release history of the Born Again album and hoping you fans can help me out. I buy/trade my CD's with discogs and research information on musicbrainz.

According to both sources, the first CDs were released in Germany in 1987 (Barcode 042281427121 | catalog 814 271-2) and marked as a reissue of the original. My understand of reissued albums are that it's another production of media after the run of a previous issue. So it makes me think there had been an earlier release of CD's of this album prior to 1987. The year also seems a bit late for the introduction of CD's. I have discs that were pressed as early as 1983 so far in my collection.

I'm well aware that information on either site is incomplete due to the crowdsourced origins of the data, so I look to the fans.

The data from wikipedia shows nothing about releases issued in 1987:
    United Kingdom - August 1983 - Vertigo Records
    United States - 4 October 1983 - Warner Bros. Records
    Canada - 1983 - Warner Bros. Records
    United Kingdom - 1996 - Castle Communications
    United Kingdom - 2004 - Sanctuary Records

And below are links for both information on discogs and musicbrainz

https://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbat...elease/6914834
    https://musicbrainz.org/release-grou...2-8a09108e429f

Fan wisdom will be highly appreciated.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discogr...ath/bornagain/
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Discogs is the most reliable source when it comes to searching like this. If Discogs says that , it's ok for me .

Comment

Originally posted by calcmandan View Post

According to both sources, the first CDs were released in Germany in 1987 (Barcode 042281427121 | catalog 814 271-2) and marked as a reissue of the original. My understand of reissued albums are that it's another production of media after the run of a previous issue. So it makes me think there had been an earlier release of CD's of this album prior to 1987.
        The "re-issue" tag probably refers to the fact that the original release was in 1983, on vinyl only. Not that the German CD was a re-issue of an earlier CD.
        gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Comment

Thank you guys for the information. I am convinced now that the 87 release is the original. I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Comment

Back in the day, there were LOTS of warnings about poor sound quality on the Castle Remasters. Avoid them, if you can.

Comment

Working...
            X