The Seventh Star Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Seventh Star Thread

I had this album when it came out, and had the privilege of seeing this one shot lineup with the amazing Ray Gillen live in 1986 here in Long Island, NY at Nassau Coliseum.
    At first I wasn't too crazy about it, like a lot of Sabbath fans back in the day. Songs like Angry Heart, No Stranger and Turn to Stone were not particularly well liked by 15 year old me. However I loved In For The Kill, Seventh Star and Heart Like A Wheel.

Looking back on it 20+ years I have really grown fond of the album. Maybe a bit of nostalgia but I think the songs hold up pretty well. Funny thing is Priest's "Turbo" came out the same year and I was not too thrilled with that one either, but have found a soft spot for that one too.

Comment

Yeah, they both rock
      I love Glenn, he's a really good singer!

Comment

I've been giving this one another chance inspite of Glenn's mullet (which gives Billy Ray Cyrus a run for his money). I have to say that after some intense listening to it over the weekend that I really like several of the songs on it, with particular kudos to "In For the Kill", "Seventh Star"(has a very middle-eastern feel to the riff) and "Heart Like a Wheel"(a blues-jam masterpiece). That said, I still dislike "No Stranger to Love"; that one isn't growing on me at all.

Comment

Seventh Star IMO has some of Iommi's best playing and has a fantastic effort and an even better story. Tony deserves a lot more credit than he gets on this album. It's amazing, my favorite is Heart Like a Wheel. his solo is amazing on that!! And Glenn's voice on there is amazing too. What a great but overlooked album.

Comment

Angry Heart rocks
            The time it is coming when all life will end,
            With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
            Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
            The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

<span style="color: #CC0000">Did Iommi write the lyrics for this Album?</span>
              The time it is coming when all life will end,
              With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
              Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
              The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Hell_Awaits <span style="color: #CC0000">Did Iommi write the lyrics for this Album?</span>
                No, its a false credit. The same way Tony Iommi didn't write the entire Eternal Idol album.

The real lyric writers were Geoff Nicholls, Jeff Glixman, and Glenn Hughes. They're credited with writing "additional" lyrics.

Comment

Who's Jeff Glixman?

Comment

Originally Posted By: Renaissance Who's Jeff Glixman?
                    The producer

Comment

thanks

Comment

I just sat down and listened to this thing for the first time in about ten years. Then I remembered why I haven't listened to it in ten years. I could say it's like Coverdale/Page calling themselves Led Zeppelin, but it would be an understatement.

Comment

Ok, so it grew on me a little - happens a lot. I do like it a little better than Born Again now.
                          However, I still hate calling it Black Sabbath, and I really hate the digital reverb.

Comment

I love all the Iommi/Hughes & I consider the DEP Sessions & Fused as quasi Sabbath albums too... Let's face it... they're great albums & Tony IS Sabbath. I saw the Hughes lineup once (at Meadowlands) but it was very strange to see Glenn playing live without a bass guitar strapped to him...

Heart Like A Wheel/ Angry Heart have always been my faves even though Angry Heart has always seemed kind of unfinished...

Comment

Originally Posted By: devilmaycare it was very strange to see Glenn playing live without a bass guitar strapped to him...
                              I know, I watched a video of him on that tour, and during times when he's not singing, he's just standing there, and swinging his hips, or just rocking back and forth. Its weird... haha

Comment

Just like Tony Martin didn't know what to do without a guitar at first.

I like when a singer is playing bass, keys or guitar, because it looks more natural this way than to have him hop around the stage just for the sake of doing "something". This would also leave him/her less time for crazy stage antics.
                                "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Working...
                                X