The Seventh Star Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Seventh Star Thread

I was born and grew up near South Bend, though I haven't lived in the area since 1999.

It wasn't bad living there gig-wise. Quite a few bands would come through SB (my first gig: Van Halen in 1980), but the ones who wouldn't you could usually catch in Chicago (I saw the Dehumanizer '92 tour there), Fort Wayne or Kalamazoo, Michigan (where I almost saw the Seventh Star tour in '86 and saw the Cross Purposes '94 tour).

I wonder what station it was that you found...over the years some good rock stations have come and gone. Probably the best I remember was WRBR-FM when I was a kid in the late '70s/early '80s. WAOR-FM wasn't bad around that time, but in the late '80s they changed format to less-offensive "classic" rock and about the only Sabbath you'd hear on there would be "Paranoid" occasionally (usually late at night). I remember hearing "The Sign Of The Southern Cross" on there when Mob Rules was a new release.

I can't remember what the name of the music shop was where I got Seventh Star - it was small and crowded, but it had a good selection. It's the only place I've seen that album on CD.

There used to be a fairly good place there (Mishawaka, actually) called Orbit Music, though it was almost as much a head shop as a music shop. They did have a good selection of imports, though - I got Rainbow's Live In Europe there.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

yeah ,i agree glenn hughes owns one of the greatest rock voices of all time

Comment

I quite enjoy Seventh Star--I do not, however, really see it as a Black Sabbath album. It would have been much better received as a TI solo project, but I guess that's a given.
        "In for the Kill" is a really cool song. A nice opener.

Comment

I quite enjoy Seventh Star--I do not, however, really see it as a Black Sabbath album. It would have been much better received as a TI solo project, but I guess that's a given.

Comment

Originally Posted By: MTT I quite enjoy Seventh Star--I do not, however, really see it as a Black Sabbath album. It would have been much better received as a TI solo project, but I guess that's a given.
            That's because Tony never wanted it to be a Black Sabbath album and why it sounds noticeably different from Sabbath.

I think originally he wanted different vocalists for each track - I heard he wanted to work with Rob Halford, David Coverdale and of course, Glenn - but it didn't happen.

The record company didn't want it to come out under Tony's name and basically told him if it didn't come out as a Sabbath album, it didn't come out.

Of course, the album was savaged for sounding so "different," and, of course, the tired old thing of "Ozzy's not on it."

Comment

Originally Posted By: MTT I quite enjoy Seventh Star--I do not, however, really see it as a Black Sabbath album. It would have been much better received as a TI solo project, but I guess that's a given.
              That's because Tony never wanted it to be a Black Sabbath album and why it sounds noticeably different from Sabbath.

I think originally he wanted different vocalists for each track - I heard he wanted to work with Rob Halford, David Coverdale and of course, Glenn - but it didn't happen.

The record company didn't want it to come out under Tony's name and basically told him if it didn't come out as a Sabbath album, it didn't come out.

Of course, the album was savaged for sounding so "different," and, of course, the tired old thing of "Ozzy's not on it."

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword

It was ironic, too, because critics who got a sneak preview when it was still meant to be a solo release claimed it sounded too much like Sabbath.

In a way Seventh Star opened the door for Black Sabbath musically ... unfortunately record companies dictated the end result on the albums that followed.

Seventh Star has aged well, though; I listened to it the other day and it sounds fine.

Comment

I love Seventh Star, in fact it's probably my favorite 80s Sabbath album (after Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.) I love the sound on that album.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Jan Alex I love this album. Have a great feeling while I'm listening Seventh Star. All songs are great, but Angry Heart is little week.
                    Man, listen to the heavy *chug chug* sound of Iommi on that one!
                    Gotta love it

Comment

I would also disagree with that assessment of Angry Heart. This song just fucking KILLS!
                      "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

My opinion on this album is that Tony Iommi's tone is a little weird, not my favorite sound from his guitar. However the riffs and vocals are good. Not my favorite album though. I prefer Iommi / Hughes on Fused.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Brent My opinion on this album is that Tony Iommi's tone is a little weird, not my favorite sound from his guitar. However the riffs and vocals are good. Not my favorite album though. I prefer Iommi / Hughes on Fused.
                          I think his guitar tone very strongly resembles the tone on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Not with too much "crunch", and very "smooth" sounding, if you get what I mean.

Comment

love this album but i must admit fused is a much abetter album.
                            good thread.

Comment

I bought this when it came out and it's an awesome album. I know it was originally supposed to be an Iommi solo album but when I heard it back in 86 it was Black Sabbath and it rocked. Saw the tour with Ray Gillen singing and it was awesome. Too me all the songs sound like Sabbath even No Stranger to Love. It was 80's Sabbath and a little more commercial but still Sabbath to me.

Comment

I remember when the Seventh Star LP first came out in 1986, it appeared out of nowhere not long after most people wrote the band off in the wake of Live Aid.
                                After Geezer left in 1985 it looked like that was that for Sabbath, with Tony Iommi wanting to do a solo album.

Luckily the record company wanted him to keep the name Black Sabbath, hence the rather weird title;
                                "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi"

At what I consider the lowest point in the band's history Tony Iommi turned out a cracking album that gets better every time I hear it.

Comment

Working...
                                X