No announcement yet.

Entire Scream in MySpace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its more Metal than Ozzy's band has been in a while. I'll give it that, but Im gonna need a few more listens to really formulate an opinion and listen more closely to the lyrics, and guitar riffs, etc...

I'm so cynical my first opinions are always a little misleading.
    "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
    http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

It always takes me a few listens to really get into an Ozzy album and form an opinion on it. No different for this one.

Comment

I dig the riffing and bases of most of the tracks. But there are some big cons:

1) The amount of effects added in the songs (vocals and etc.) which give the album a numetal vibe.
        2) Melodies. I actually was getting into some of the songs until the vox kicked in. Vocal melodies are quite hollow. They would also fit better in some alternative rock bands album.
        3) Parts of the album sound like general modern metal, which Isn't my thing.

Let it die is the best and would be far more better without all the effects and with better fitting melodies. Existing ones sound like they are written by some modern pop song writer
        "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Anyone have the bonus tracks yet?

"One More Time" (iTunes Pre-Order Only)
          "Jump The Moon" (Japanese Bonus Track)

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF Jon View Post
            Anyone have the bonus tracks yet?

"One More Time" (iTunes Pre-Order Only)
            "Jump The Moon" (Japanese Bonus Track)
            I'll wait for Youtube to get those. I've no interest in a digital download of the album, or spending a fortune to get a Japanese import.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
            I dig the riffing and bases of most of the tracks. But there are some big cons:

1) The amount of effects added in the songs (vocals and etc.) which give the album a numetal vibe.
            2) Melodies. I actually was getting into some of the songs until the vox kicked in. Vocal melodies are quite hollow. They would also fit better in some alternative rock bands album.
            3) Parts of the album sound like general modern metal, which Isn't my thing.
            Y'know, I like the album, but I can't help but agree with E5150's comments. I was trying to figure out what it was about the production that was annoying me, and that's it. It sounds too modern metal, too nu-metal. The songs are decent and will likely grow on me, but it definitely doesn't sound like any Sabbath album that Ozzy was ever in, or even classic Ozzy solo for that matter. I honestly don't know where these journalists are coming from, but I suspect it's a place of little knowledge of Sabbath. They think because it sounds heavy that must mean it sounds like Sabbath.

Personally, I think the closest Ozzy solo has ever gotten to sounding Sabbathy was the song "Diary of a Madman."

If Ozzy and Sabbath ever do reunite for an album, I hope they kick this producer to the curb. In fairness, he makes Ozzy sound better than he did on his last album. Ozzy sounded awful on Black Rain. He sounds pretty decent here, not like the old days (or even the '90s), but decent.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the production at all on either album.

Then again, I'm not really a fan of the production on any Ozzy album except for No More Tears and No Rest For the Wicked. Down to Earth wasn't bad, though a little muddy.

Comment

I think Scream is his best album since Ozzmosis. Honestly, great songs and it flows really well.

It probably has most to do (in terms of songs) with Ozzmosis and No More Tears. It sounds like what it would sound like if those two albums mated, along with an early Sabbath album.

Comment

This could be the first Ozzy album I'd buy, since DoaM!

Comment

The same album again?

I'll set some people off with this, but YUCK!!!!!!

I realize some bands (ZZ Top, Boston) can get away with making the same album time and time again. But, and I sincerely mean this, the last truly ORIGINAL Ozzy solo album- for me- was No Rest For the Wicked. Everything after that might as well have been a Black Label Society album featuring Ozzy on vocals. And I LOVE B.L.S.!!!!

There have been great songs, of course. I'm an Ozzy fan. But, just as Sharon saved his life 30 years ago, a true fan can also see she has ruined his career. The songs are the same, the lyrics are stale and after seeing him on Kimmel the other night- I just wanted to cry. He's using the same kinda damn teleprompter that Halford is. It's a new release, but it hardly new.

For the first time in my life, and I bought Paranoid as a new release in 1971 as a Kindergartner, I will NOT be buying the new Ozzy project. I own everything, but not anymore.
                    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
                      I realize some bands (ZZ Top, Boston) can get away with making the same album time and time again. But, and I sincerely mean this, the last truly ORIGINAL Ozzy solo album- for me- was No Rest For the Wicked.
                      Interesting that you feel that way. Naturally, we all perceive music differently. But I always felt Ozzy's music was radically different from album to album and that's what has drawn me to his music over the years. I never knew what to expect because the next release always seemed on a completely different level than the last. They've always been an incarnation of the time in which they were recorded. The production value, the tones, the mood and subject matter.

Another classic example of releasing the same album over and over would be AC/DC. As much as I love them, I think you can interchange their songs from album to album and they'd transition just as smoothly.

I don't feel that way at all about solo Ozzy but I think your take on his music is interesting. The opinions of solo Ozzy fans are sometimes so drastically different, it's amazing. I love Scream and it seems to be going over really well from what I've read. But it can't be for everyone.
                      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

I gotta disagree big time about Ozzy post-NRFTW being Ozzy fronted BLS. I think those four Ozzy albums all sound very distinct both of each other and of BLS. Yes, it has Zakk's guitar playing and in the case of three of them his writing (he didn't write anything on Down to Earth) but I think BLS is the only thing he's done where each album sounds like more of the last (with a few exceptions. I think Sonic Brew and Hangover Music are very different compared to the other five). No Rest For the Wicked, No More Tears, Pride and Glory, Ozzmosis, Book of Shadows, Down to Earth, Black Rain and Black Label Society. 8 differnt projects and all of them, IMO, very different sounding.

Its not just a matter of guitar playing, its also the other members of the band. The rhythm section makes up a very large part of the band's sound and aside from his first two solo albums every one has featured a different rhythm section. I also think production plays a big part of it, obviously.

I don't even think Black Rain sounds like BLS. I think it sounds like an Ozzy record. A much heavier Ozzy record than he usually outputs but still Ozzy, not BLS. I think the only stuff that sounds like BLS is BLS.

Comment

Originally posted by 62_SG View Post
                          I don't even think Black Rain sounds like BLS. I think it sounds like an Ozzy record.
                          I agreed with everything you said but this. I think Black Rain had a very BLS vibe but I don't think it was a bad thing, just another change in direction with sound for Ozzy.

With no disrespect to Zakk, I think it was time for them to separate. I think it worked out fine too because Scream sounds great to me and Zakk was able to focus on recovering and doing his BLS thing. Which happens to sound pretty damn good so far.
                          ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
                            Another classic example of releasing the same album over and over would be AC/DC.

Amen to AC/DC. I knew I was forgetting one that was pretty obvious.

Like I said, I'm not an Ozzy hater, it's just that even with Zakk, Steve Vai, Joe C and Gus G, there is a certain formula (my uninformed opinion here) to an Ozzy record. A few up tempo rockers, one of which seems autobiographical in a kind of boastful way, a couple mysterious sounding spooky pieces, one artery squirting ballad and another introspective slow piece...

I don't know what I'm looking for, but this release isn't it.
                            The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                            The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                            As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                            We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
                              Like I said, I'm not an Ozzy hater, it's just that even with Zakk, Steve Vai, Joe C and Gus G, there is a certain formula (my uninformed opinion here) to an Ozzy record. A few up tempo rockers, one of which seems autobiographical in a kind of boastful way, a couple mysterious sounding spooky pieces, one artery squirting ballad and another introspective slow piece...
                              Interesting, as many fans of music would love to have an album with stylistic diversity like that!

I think I know what you are saying, but I think this is the least formulaic album from Ozzy since I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
                                I agreed with everything you said but this. I think Black Rain had a very BLS vibe but I don't think it was a bad thing, just another change in direction with sound for Ozzy.

With no disrespect to Zakk, I think it was time for them to separate. I think it worked out fine too because Scream sounds great to me and Zakk was able to focus on recovering and doing his BLS thing. Which happens to sound pretty damn good so far.
                                Musically Black Rain is similar to BLS but I think what really divides them is in tone. BLS records all sound like they're drenched in beer and sweat. I don't think Black Rain has any of that sound. I think if you isolated the guitar tracks of a few BLS tracks and put them against the isolated guitar tracks of BLS they'd be similar. But I also think there is a big difference that comes from the rest of the band that affects the overall sound. I think the bass is a lot more forward and present in Black Rain than in BLS. I also think the structure of the verses are different. The melodies feel different. This is of course all my opinion and you have yours.

And I think his new BLS stuff is very killer. I think cleaning up his body helped him clean up his music. It sounds a lot more youthful. Which makes me want Zakk to write another Ozzy record.

Comment

Working...
                                X