"Iommi" revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Iommi" revisited

I went on a trip and spent some time with some albums I hadn't listed to in a while. One of those albums was "Iommi", Tony Iommi's solo album featuring a variety of "guest vocalists". I found myself enjoying it, especially "Meat" with Skin, "Goodbye Lament" with Dave Grohl and "Flame On" with Ian Astbury.

Overall, I thought it was a strong album, though Tony used essentially the same riff for about 4 songs, which was quite evident near the end of the album. The song with Billy Idol where he sings "I wanna wake the dead, And all the undead souls who walk the night, They can suck my d**k" had me laughing, as I had forgotten about that.

I think it is appropriate to think of "Iommi" as an Iommi / Sabbath tribute album. It never took off sales-wise and didn't get much airplay, but that isn't much different from any non-Ozzy, Sabbath member project since the early 80's. (I recall that references were made that this album was like Santana's, made for the hard rock / heavy metal set. Unfortunately, no breakout hot like "Smooth" with Rob Thomas was to be had.)

^
    ^
    ^

I have said ever since I first heard this CD, "Meat" was the sleeper of this release and maybe, just maybe the best song Tony has ever been a part of. I think if Skin and Tony hooked up for a CD, it would be a stunning success.
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by protometal View Post
      I found myself enjoying it, especially "Meat" with Skin, "Goodbye Lament" with Dave Grohl and "Flame On" with Ian Astbury.
      Absolutely. 'Meat' is an incredible track. Very different, very catchy. Her voice compliments Tony's doomy sound really well. Ian is one of my favorites vocalists of all time too. I can't get enough of his voice or that track, it SOARS!

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
      I think if Skin and Tony hooked up for a CD, it would be a stunning success.
      Without a doubt, I'd love to hear it.
      ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

I have to disagree actually about the Meat. To me that was one of the weakest tracks on the album. I pretty much liked every thing else fairly well, with the exception of the Billy Idol song. I just can't get past those lyrics. They're almost as bad as Ziggy Pop's song on Slash's solo album.
        I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

I'm not a fan of guest vocalists for every song, and agree, Iommi seemed to be repeating riffs on that one. Not surprisingly, Goodbye Lament is the best song IMO, with none other than the more talented member of NIRVANA, Dave Grohel on board.
          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

I love this album. I listen to it a lot on my MP3 player.

Comment

Meat was one of the few tracks on that album that didn't do anything for me either. Although that album for the most part was a disappointment as I didn't care for the choice for most of the vocalists.
              "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
              http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by protometal View Post
                I went on a trip and spent some time with some albums I hadn't listed to in a while. One of those albums was "Iommi", Tony Iommi's solo album featuring a variety of "guest vocalists". I found myself enjoying it, especially "Meat" with Skin, "Goodbye Lament" with Dave Grohl and "Flame On" with Ian Astbury.

Overall, I thought it was a strong album, though Tony used essentially the same riff for about 4 songs, which was quite evident near the end of the album. The song with Billy Idol where he sings "I wanna wake the dead, And all the undead souls who walk the night, They can suck my d**k" had me laughing, as I had forgotten about that.

I think it is appropriate to think of "Iommi" as an Iommi / Sabbath tribute album. It never took off sales-wise and didn't get much airplay, but that isn't much different from any non-Ozzy, Sabbath member project since the early 80's. (I recall that references were made that this album was like Santana's, made for the hard rock / heavy metal set. Unfortunately, no breakout hot like "Smooth" with Rob Thomas was to be had.)
                The four songs you mentioned have always been my favorites off this album, Particularly "Meat" that songs rocks hard.
                I'd love to hear Iommi make some more music with Skin or Ian. I would really like to hear Ian cover some Ozzy or Dio Era Sabbath songs, I think he could do them justice.
                The time it is coming when all life will end,
                With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
                Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
                The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                  I have to disagree actually about the Meat. To me that was one of the weakest tracks on the album. I pretty much liked every thing else fairly well, with the exception of the Billy Idol song. I just can't get past those lyrics.
                  I agree with this assessment. That song did nothing really for me. I don't like the Cult but I thought Astbury was great on his track. That might be my favorite. I liked the Idol, Ozzy, Corgan & Rollins songs as well. Grohl & Serj were kinda cool, although not quite up to my expectations. The Anselmo song was also pretty meh to me.

They're almost as bad as Ziggy Pop's song on Slash's solo album.
                  Ziggy huh?
                  The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

One of my favorite albums ever.
                    The first few songs I heard from it were... Laughing Man, & Just Say No To Love.
                    But on my first listen through I got goosebumps listening to MEAT, BLACK OBLIVION, & WHO'S FOOLING WHO.
                    The whole album is fantastic... if anyone finds themselves searching through torrents I suggest you search for THE BASTARD, or SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.

Comment

I heard songs from this played on DirectTV music channels. At my age this was the first sabbath related album that was'soon to be released'.
                      Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

I really love Flame On - compares with some of my favorite Sabbath songs.

I also really enjoyed Black Oblivion - although I'm not a Billy Corgan fan.

Seems like I liked the Billy Idol song more than everyone else did.

Meat and Goodbye Lament were just OK to me.

Comment

While the album has its merits, I think it is a diffuse and unfocused attempt to establish Tony as a viable solo performer. I feel that one vocalist should have been rather than a nonsensical assortment of guest vocalists who have distinctly individual approaches to the material. As a result, the performances are all over the map. I think they were attempting, in some respects, to duplicate the success of Santana's album Supernatural in employing a gallery of singers. As a result, the album often sounds like a tribute to Tony Iommi rather than an unified artistic statement. When it comes to non-Sabbath projects, Fused and The DEP Sessions fare much better.

Comment

I was a great album my personal favorite had to have been Laughing Man In The Devil Mask
                            I picked up the album in Farmington, NM at Best Buy seems they have 12 more copies of his first album and 2 of his Fused
                            Nothing you can do will hurt me, am indestructable, I am...Black Sabbath!

Comment

Originally posted by J Hillenburg View Post
                              While the album has its merits, I think it is a diffuse and unfocused attempt to establish Tony as a viable solo performer. I feel that one vocalist should have been rather than a nonsensical assortment of guest vocalists who have distinctly individual approaches to the material. As a result, the performances are all over the map. I think they were attempting, in some respects, to duplicate the success of Santana's album Supernatural in employing a gallery of singers. As a result, the album often sounds like a tribute to Tony Iommi rather than an unified artistic statement. When it comes to non-Sabbath projects, Fused and The DEP Sessions fare much better.
                              That's a darn good explaination of it in a nutshell. I think the positive thing that came out of it was Iommi was introduced to some younger fans of the vocalists that played on his album. I too saw it as a Santana guest vocalist "metal" record. It also gave Iommi a top ten hard rock "hit" in Goodbye Lament, which got some considerable air play. All in all, I go listen to the FUSED and DEP sessions more often than to this one, but it was a good album and move for Tony to make. That said, I don't see a need to go there again though.
                              "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                              R. Blackmore

Comment

Working...
                              X