No announcement yet.

DIO Disciples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again you're bit away from the truth. The reason Doug was on Holy Diver Live was due to Craig's injury to his arm (it was broken if I recall correctly) and was unable to play.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteSabbath View Post
      Doro Pesch would do a great tribute! if a tribute was what that was. craig was out touring with Budgie. I am aware of this. I am also aware that everytime Dio wanted a dvd to sound great Doug was brought in.

Evil Or Devine
      Holy diver!

Killing the dragon brought Dio back!
      Like Charger already stated, Goldy didn't play on the live DVDs due to an arm injury. Both are fantastic axe slingers, no doubt about that. I just prefer Goldy, I think he's more stylistic as far as lead playing comes and is more versatile. Aldrich has a better tone though.

And Magica brought DIO back.
      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Dio was never out, Dehumanizer, Strange Highways (one of his best) and Angry Machines are amazing albums.

Comment

Dio was playing in clubs with Magica!!!!!!!!

Goldy's playing has no feel and is flat and bland.
          Also strained his arm and did not break it.
          Which was probaly a good excuse to step down because he was nothing that Vivian was or ever could be!!!!!
          www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

That's your opinion...I disagree completely.

To me Craig is the best guitar player Ronnie ever worked with on his solo band. He really has a lot of Ritchie Blackmore in him.

But there is no point in arguing about subjective matters.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteSabbath View Post
              Dio was playing in clubs with Magica!!!!!!!!

Goldy's playing has no feel and is flat and bland.
              Also strained his arm and did not break it.
              Which was probaly a good excuse to step down because he was nothing that Vivian was or ever could be!!!!!
              They played mainly theatres on the Magica tour. Place with the capacity of 2000-6000 isn't exactly a club as far as I'm concerned.

And which one you prefer is of course subjective, but to say that Goldy's playing lacks feeling is misleading. I recommend you to check his playing in songs like As Long As It's Not About Love and Feed My Head. If you deem his playing bland and emotionless after listening those amazing songs, I end this discussion pondering if you have a soul
              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                They played mainly theatres on the Magica tour. Place with the capacity of 2000-6000 isn't exactly a club as far as I'm concerned.

And which one you prefer is of course subjective, but to say that Goldy's playing lacks feeling is misleading. I recommend you to check his playing in songs like As Long As It's Not About Love and Feed My Head. If you deem his playing bland and emotionless after listening those amazing songs, I end this discussion pondering if you have a soul
                You can take every good track with Craig and bounce them on a disc and you still will not fill up a cd.

Let's see

Fever dreams
                One More For The Road
                Shivers
                All The Fools Sailed away
                Could Have been a dreamer
                Time To Burn

And the rest of Dream Evil was pretty good.
                He is and never has been Vivian Campbell!
                Last edited by WhiteSabbath; 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM.
                www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

I'm seeing people saying Toby Jepson was singer in hair metal band Little Angels?

Little Angels weren't quite hair metal. They were a transitional band really. They, along with Terraplane preceeded a movement that emerged around 1989-1993 called "Brit Rock". To summarise (as it didn't get too international), it was a genre comprising of British rock bands that trimmed the fat from the hair metal sound, stripped it back a bit more to component parts, making it less over the top and ridiculous, often with more of a traditional rock 'n' roll sound to it. However, it wasn't the same as sleaze rock, it was a less extreme transformation than the reaction that happened in the US to hair metal - Faster Pussycat, GN'R, LA Guns etc.....it was a less agressive sound, cheerier, more innocent, playful fun. Bands such as Skin, Thunder, The Quireboys, Wolfsbane, The Dogs D'Amour, The Wildhearts, Tigertailz, The Almighty and Gun were the key bands of the age.

Toby Jepson's solo work is more in line with the Brit Rock sound, and he spent several years as vocalist for Gun (now renamed G.U.N. it seems), one of the classic Brit Rock names. Little Angels acted as a halfway point between Brit Rock and 80s hair metal, cut the man some slack! His work had a lot more substance, and continues to be impressive.

I can see Toby taking on the ballads and Ripper on the more metal songs. I've had the fun of seeing Ripper twice (once in 2007 supporting Heaven & Hell when he was in Iced Earth, and once at a festival in 2009, solo, with a supergroup of a backing band). He's a great singer, one of the best out there. But completely different style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A__eJAEquQQ - this is alright, but really they coulda gotten someone else to do it.

Heck, Tony Martin's sung a bunch of Ronnie's songs many times over with Sabbath, he'd have been a better choice.

I'll be more interested in seeing Toby Jepson than Ripper Owens, for sure. I'm seeing them at Download Festival, so they'll be up against a lot of other impressive supergroups, like Down.
                  Last edited by TheElfoid; 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM.
                  http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                  http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                  http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by TheElfoid View Post
                    Heck, Tony Martin's sung a bunch of Ronnie's songs many times over with Sabbath, he'd have been a better choice.
                    Tony Martin wants to be Tony Martin, not Ronnie James Dio's ass(istant). ;P

Comment

I watched few vids from their performance on the Sauna Open Air festival. It was odd to say the least to see them playing songs like Egypt (The Chains Are On) and Don't Talk To Strangers without RJD in the front. And I just didn't enjoy Ripper's and that Jepson guy's performances: they are very competent vocalists, that's for sure, but their vocals just don't fit RJD's material and they seemed to struggle with some parts. But the rest of the band are on a top form - makes me wish even more that I would have seen them live with RJD...

But like I've said before, I hope that Goldy, Warren and co. don't get stuck with this project and start working with new projects and tackle new challenges.

Here are some vids:

Neon Knights
                      Catch the Rainbow/Stargazer
                      Don't Talk To Strangers
                      King of Rock & Roll
                      Heaven & Hell

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                      That's your opinion...I disagree completely.

To me Craig is the best guitar player Ronnie ever worked with on his solo band. He really has a lot of Ritchie Blackmore in him.

But there is no point in arguing about subjective matters.
                      He certainly has. I'm just listening to Dio Disciples' rendition of Stargazer, Goldy smokes the solo! I've always thought that of all the DIO guitarists he did best job with the Sabbath and Rainbow material.

Comment

DIO'S DISCIPLES played a great show, I liked Ripper good, I liked the Jepson guy very good!!! The band was in Dio-esque form...and when they played the opening of Catch The Rainbow, my heavy metal iron fist attitude changed to tears...Same thing with the opening of The Last In Line, they just nailed it home for me, the intro is so beautiful...The performance at Sauna Open Air really made me miss Ronnie even more. Ronnie should be here with his bands Dio and Heaven & Hell, Ronnie should be here with us all...and even though he's gone, he's still here with us in our hearts through his music - forever.

Hopefully Craig & co. will find something new as well to help them carry Dio's legacy forward. Playing their master's classic songs is great as such, finding new material from Dio's archives to be finished would be even greater!
                        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

First time I've seen the videos, they aren't doing bad at all. I will definitely go see them if they come near me.
                          Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Led Rush Dio View Post
                            First time I've seen the videos, they aren't doing bad at all. I will definitely go see them if they come near me.
                            Do go. You'll enjoy it.
                            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

I've been listening to couple of shows now and Tim is bloody brilliant! He really can sing anything to perfection...truly the only one that could ever fill the gigantic shoes of Ronnie....

Jepson did better than I thought...although his 80s hair metal voice isn't the best possible one for DIO songs he does do well with the Rainbow stuff...would I prefer Tim alone, damn straight, but their duets are damn good and powerful!

All in all this is a great tribute to the man...done with great style and great passion and most of all with great love. It really shows that they're doing it for Ronnie, just keeping his music alive. Just the way he would have wanted.

Can anyone ever replace him, hell no, and that's the point, no one is trying to. They're just honoring the greatest singer that has ever walked this planet.

Comment

I was on first show in Moscow and it was great. Tim was great and Toby was not bad and both together was very very good (Stargazer cover for example). My personal recomendation is to go and see it LIVE, not youtube videos, just go and see it - great show IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X