No announcement yet.

Jon Lord has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock pioneer Jon Lord RIP.I was fortunate to see Deep Purple in 1985,and hear his incredible playing of the Hammond organ.I immensely enjoyed his work with DP,and also with Whitesnake.Your music lives on.Damn cancer to hell!

Comment

R.I.P John
      Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
      Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
      My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
      I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
      Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Comment

I hate to hear this. I really do. Lord was always one of my favorite, if not my favorite keyboard players. His work with Deep Purple was always excellent and helped to prove that keyboards could have a place in rock. Then his solo stuff such as Bouree was just on a whole other level of greatness. He was one of the reasons I've tried to learn how to play Piano and Keyboards over the past couple of years. Always wanted the chance to get to see him live or meet him one day. With the cancer that seemed like less of a reality, but I'd hoped he would recover one day and continue making great music, but alas that never came to be. Really sad news. R.I.P. Jon Lord

Also, just asking why does the thread have his name as Jorn Lord? I don't mean anything by it, just wondering.

Comment

So sorry to hear the news. He was a true innovator.

Ted

Comment

Jon Lord's heavy organ WAS / IS Deep Purple's signature sound, without him, Blackmore's rather thin sounding 4th chords (plucking 2 strings vs the use of 5th chords and full "power" chords), Purple wouldn't have had that heavy sound that put them smack in the middle of the Holy Trinity of Heavy Metal Rock, along side Sabbath and Zeppelin. His colaboration with Blackmore and Paice were legendary and he will be sorely missed. A true desrving R&R Hall Of Famer if there ever was one, R.I.P Jon Lord! Your music will live forever!

SABBATHMAN & E5150 summed it up perfectly, he was the master of the heavy Hammond organ sound.
            Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 07-16-2012, 08:30 PM.
            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
            R. Blackmore

Comment

RIP Jon Lord - thanks for all the great music over the years. one thing that I always liked about Jon Lord's was the way he could bring in peices of music to his solo's that matched the venue that he was playing - always loved it when Deep Purple played Texas & he would work 'yellow rose of Texas' into his solo. A fantastic musician & I had held out hope for his recovery when I saw that he was scheduled to play in Germany on July 6th so didn't realize how ill he was when the show was cancelled- my thoughts & prayers go out to his family
              At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Also, just asking why does the thread have his name as Jorn Lord? I don't mean anything by it, just wondering.
                Sorry, it's fixed now. Crazy day, juggling threads and grief.
                Damian
                Super Moderator
                Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

A sad day indeed. Rest in Peace Jon. Your music will live on forever.

Comment

Rest in peace good sir. Your work will resonate forever.

Comment

Crancked out Made In Japan in Lord's memory - it's been too long since I last listened to this classic live album. One of the best live records of all time, certainy in my top 5. And a rare live recording in the sense it has practically no overdubs, so what you hear on the album is what you would have heard in the concerts.

"The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Oh, how incredibly cool he was, even in this cheesy '93 incarnation.

95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                        Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                          Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...ple-dies-at-71

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...cancer-age-71/

some news reports on the passing.
                            Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                              Oh, how incredibly cool he was, even in this cheesy '93 incarnation.

The interplay between Lord and Blackmore was always hypnotizing to watch/listen. The chemistry (and healthy competition) between them was something every rock band should strive for.

And what do you mean by "cheesy incarnation"? I think the Battle Rages On is quite good. The trio of the title track, Anya and Ramshackle Man in particular are worthy additions to the classic Purple cataloque.
                              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Terrible, terrible loss...

Another one of the greats gone. Much like Dio, in my opinion, Jon Lord was THE best at what he did. The greatest keys player in all of hard rock. As Ritchie Blackmore has written: “Without Jon, there would be no Deep Purple.”
                                And the fact that he was such a kind, generous, intelligent, witty, and thoroughly decent human being makes his passing almost unbearable. So sad I did not get to see him live... I hope he is playing with Ronnie James Dio in heaven now. We will forever remember and love him through his wonderful, magical, and utterly badassly heavy music.
                                Long live Jon Lord. And, as some of us said at Ronnie’s passing: Rock In Perpetuity!!
                                Thank you for everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X