X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by Requiem View Post
    I'm glad there's a thread for Bob's book 'For Fact's Sake'.

I've read it twice, cover to cover, and it's easily the best music book I've ever read. As a diarist (a real one, not like Nikki Sixx's pretend diary), Bob has so much specificity in his account, not just of his dealings with the Osbournes, but his entire career. He knows specific dates that everything happened, amounts of money involved, tours, travels, deals made and broken. The detail is amazing.

Unlike the majority of music autobiographies where it's clear that there is a lot of guess work going on, Bob Daisley clearly has the facts to hand. His detailed account of his time with Ozzy is simply amazing and I really encourage every Ozzy and Sabbath fan to check it out.

The photos and other documents included are also really fascinating.

And no, the book isn't a big whinge, nor is it an attack. He does call things as they happened, though, and it's a compelling - and slightly disturbing - insight into the machinations of 80s and early 90s music industry, and so much more.

I have to say that the rest of his account is really interesting too. Having played in Rainbow and Sabbath (The Eternal Idol, recorded in Montserrat which is a very interesting account) there are plenty of other stories from a very lengthy career. He doesn't use a ghost writer either, and his prose style is really engaging and warm. You feel like you know and like the guy quite early on.

Fabulous book. 10/10.
    Thanks Requiem, I'll check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Requiem
    replied
    I'm glad there's a thread for Bob's book 'For Fact's Sake'.

I've read it twice, cover to cover, and it's easily the best music book I've ever read. As a diarist (a real one, not like Nikki Sixx's pretend diary), Bob has so much specificity in his account, not just of his dealings with the Osbournes, but his entire career. He knows specific dates that everything happened, amounts of money involved, tours, travels, deals made and broken. The detail is amazing.

Unlike the majority of music autobiographies where it's clear that there is a lot of guess work going on, Bob Daisley clearly has the facts to hand. His detailed account of his time with Ozzy is simply amazing and I really encourage every Ozzy and Sabbath fan to check it out.

The photos and other documents included are also really fascinating.

And no, the book isn't a big whinge, nor is it an attack. He does call things as they happened, though, and it's a compelling - and slightly disturbing - insight into the machinations of 80s and early 90s music industry, and so much more.

I have to say that the rest of his account is really interesting too. Having played in Rainbow and Sabbath (The Eternal Idol, recorded in Montserrat which is a very interesting account) there are plenty of other stories from a very lengthy career. He doesn't use a ghost writer either, and his prose style is really engaging and warm. You feel like you know and like the guy quite early on.

Fabulous book. 10/10.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    The Bob/Ozzy albums are the best.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels Of Confusion
    replied
    It is worth mentioning (as Tojoro did previously) that Bob's book and version of events (that is, what actually happened) is endorsed by the Rhoads family.
    I don't know what the Blizzard Box is worth, but the price of this book doesn't feel like a rip off.

Leave a comment:

• Jack the Stripper
    replied
    Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Yeah I'm an Aussie too, the price really isn't that bad for what you get...if you like Ozzy you have to get it.

The Dirt is very enjoyable, I like how they all have a take on an event and contradict each other.

I really want to read Sarzo's book, and Lemmy's too I guess...How Black Was Our Sabbath? is probably the best book on Sabbath, I enjoyed Ozzy's book for the drug and drink stories but the spin/bullshit is pretty thick and it barely mentions the music/albums.
    Tony Iommi's Iron Man really sucked though, Ace Frehley's No Regrets was similarly lightweight, though Peter Criss' book is great...I'd like to read Gene and or Paul's books too.
    I have Peter's book but haven't started on it yet. Paul's book is due out in April. Same as you say about Bob's book, if you're any sort of fan of Ozzy and Randy Off The Rails is a must read. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels Of Confusion
    replied
    Yeah I'm an Aussie too, the price really isn't that bad for what you get...if you like Ozzy you have to get it.

The Dirt is very enjoyable, I like how they all have a take on an event and contradict each other.

I really want to read Sarzo's book, and Lemmy's too I guess...How Black Was Our Sabbath? is probably the best book on Sabbath, I enjoyed Ozzy's book for the drug and drink stories but the spin/bullshit is pretty thick and it barely mentions the music/albums.
    Tony Iommi's Iron Man really sucked though, Ace Frehley's No Regrets was similarly lightweight, though Peter Criss' book is great...I'd like to read Gene and or Paul's books too.

Leave a comment:

• Jack the Stripper
    replied
    Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    I just finished reading For Fact's Sake, and it is probably the best "music book" I've read.

IT IS NOT a big stitch job on the Osbournes, it isn't a big whingefest and it's a fucking cracker of a read- any self respecting Ozzy fan should definitely read this book.

OZZYIRONMAN I don't see why you have to be such a dick about Bob Daisley, the guy just tells it like it is...you know, factually?
    The Osbournes tell it one way and just about every other person who worked for or with them and was there tell a different, yet correlating story...ahh fuck it
    You come across really childish sometimes mate.

There are hundreds of brilliant photos, and it's obvious Bob and Ozzy (and their families) were good mates it's just a shame what money can do to some people.

Summing it up: if you like any of the bands/albums Bob has been in and on, this is a must have.
    I really want this book but you can only get it from Bob's website and the postage to Australia is absolutely ridiculous even though Bob's an Aussie and Iives in Australia. The 3 best music books I've read have been Mötley Crüe The Dirt and Rudy Sarzo Off The Rails and Lemmy White Line Fever, couldn't put them down once I started reading them and I'm sure For Facts Sake will be the same.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels Of Confusion
    replied
    I just finished reading For Fact's Sake, and it is probably the best "music book" I've read.

IT IS NOT a big stitch job on the Osbournes, it isn't a big whingefest and it's a fucking cracker of a read- any self respecting Ozzy fan should definitely read this book.

OZZYIRONMAN I don't see why you have to be such a dick about Bob Daisley, the guy just tells it like it is...you know, factually?
    The Osbournes tell it one way and just about every other person who worked for or with them and was there tell a different, yet correlating story...ahh fuck it
    You come across really childish sometimes mate.

There are hundreds of brilliant photos, and it's obvious Bob and Ozzy (and their families) were good mates it's just a shame what money can do to some people.

Summing it up: if you like any of the bands/albums Bob has been in and on, this is a must have.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels Of Confusion
    replied
    Cant wait to read this, the guy is a legend.

Leave a comment:

• OZZYIRONMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by tojoro View Post
    I've reached the halfway point in the book and think it's great, but then, that's just me. Great quality photos, next to none I've seen in my 46 years, the writing is top notch and I felt it was well worth the wait.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I do understand this is a Sabbath fan site, but I just wanted to pass along some info for those that may have been interested.
    Obviously, we will never hear Randy's side of the story, Bob's is the closest we will get to an accurate account of the Blizzard of Ozz Band before Sarzo and Aldridge came into the fold.
    The Rhoads family has come forth to endorse Bob's book fully...seems they're fine with Bob's opinions concerning their son/brother.
    At the end of the day, Sharon Osbourne is a poor steward of her husband's legacy. One look at the 30 Years After the Blizzard doc confirms that...talk about revisionist history.
    How do you create a documentary about two influential hard rock albums and only have one of the five people involved comment on it?
    Plus that one guy has little to no memory of the majority of the events.
    Aside from Sharon and Ozzy, we have Rob Halford (?), Lemmy Kilminster, Nikki Sixx (again, ?), Zakk, Blasko and Kevin Churko...three yes-men who were in Jr. High when these albums were written and recorded.
    Keep in mind, the boxed set was to have extended versions of songs, audio of studio chatter and early versions of songs, plus, for the first time, the full show from Southhampton, which was the source for the last two tracks from Tribute & the Mr. Crowley E.P.
    It was Sharon who made the choice to cut all of that from the box, due to the thirty-year-old grudge she's held...talk about someone with issues.
    All because Bob was smart enough to not sign away the rights to those rehersal, (grail), tapes.
    Anyway, enjoy!
    ~T.
    Bob sold at least one book

Leave a comment:

• tojoro
    replied
    I've reached the halfway point in the book and think it's great, but then, that's just me. Great quality photos, next to none I've seen in my 46 years, the writing is top notch and I felt it was well worth the wait.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I do understand this is a Sabbath fan site, but I just wanted to pass along some info for those that may have been interested.
    Obviously, we will never hear Randy's side of the story, Bob's is the closest we will get to an accurate account of the Blizzard of Ozz Band before Sarzo and Aldridge came into the fold.
    The Rhoads family has come forth to endorse Bob's book fully...seems they're fine with Bob's opinions concerning their son/brother.
    At the end of the day, Sharon Osbourne is a poor steward of her husband's legacy. One look at the 30 Years After the Blizzard doc confirms that...talk about revisionist history.
    How do you create a documentary about two influential hard rock albums and only have one of the five people involved comment on it?
    Plus that one guy has little to no memory of the majority of the events.
    Aside from Sharon and Ozzy, we have Rob Halford (?), Lemmy Kilminster, Nikki Sixx (again, ?), Zakk, Blasko and Kevin Churko...three yes-men who were in Jr. High when these albums were written and recorded.
    Keep in mind, the boxed set was to have extended versions of songs, audio of studio chatter and early versions of songs, plus, for the first time, the full show from Southhampton, which was the source for the last two tracks from Tribute & the Mr. Crowley E.P.
    It was Sharon who made the choice to cut all of that from the box, due to the thirty-year-old grudge she's held...talk about someone with issues.
    All because Bob was smart enough to not sign away the rights to those rehersal, (grail), tapes.
    Anyway, enjoy!
    ~T.

Leave a comment:

• OZZYIRONMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Charger View Post

Well you must be special kind of psychic or something that you'll know it's rag without reading it....
    I just think Bob has some issues

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
    No. Ill never read that rag
    Well you must be special kind of psychic or something that you'll know it's rag without reading it....

Leave a comment:

• OZZYIRONMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackAdder View Post
    Has anyone read the book yet?
    No. Ill never read that rag

Leave a comment:

• BlackAdder
    replied
    Has anyone read the book yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...